Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-01-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
charyuop
Dojo: Ponca Aikikai
United_States
Never use this technique!!

Hi people. This is just a question to satisfy my curiosity, but that in the end can help you be realistic on your skills.

I don't want to enter the discassion of real fight already talked about milions of times, but the question is:

If you had to face a real fight, which one is the technique (if there is one) that you would never use? The reasons might be many, like you don't find it realible, too risky coz if you don't get it right will let your guard way too open to a counter, you think with your actual skill chances to pull out that technique are very low...and so on.

As a beginner I cannot answer to this question, because I still am not confident with none of my techniques hee hee.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
guest89893
Dojo: Jihonjuku/ St.Pete. FL
United_States
Re: Never use this technique!!

I find the technique of blocking punches and kicks with my face not very useful in a real fight situation. I always tried to avoid using that technique.

Okay a more serious answer (but I'm telling you the above statement is good advice), if the technique takes longer than you can say "uno" -it's probably not good in a real time situation. Second part is never expect the attacker to react like a dojo trained "uke."

Best advice use all your skills to stay away from fights and danger!

Ciao,
Gene
Old 06-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #3
gdandscompserv

United_States

The Ninja Death Touch.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

I don't think there's a particular technique I would never use. would like to think that whatever I do will be an interaction at the time. The technique would be a result of the interaction rather than me having predefineed techniques for certain circumstances, or ruling something out.

Like Gene says though, try not to use your face.

Last edited by batemanb : 06-01-2007 at 08:13 AM.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 06-01-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
DonMagee
United_States

It might be easier for me to just point you to youtube. 85% of the video's there show techniques I would never try to use.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 06-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
Renzo Roncal Soto

Dojo: Union Peruana de Aikido
Peru
Triangle Re: Never use this technique!!

You cannot decide that tecnica to reject, but you must find for the opportunity, to create the suitable situation to apply "your" better technique. In my case, and under my experience, I would find for to generate the opportunity to apply a shijo nague.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
GLWeeks
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
United_States

5th Level Iron Shirt Technique!

Old 06-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #8
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Guy Weeks wrote: View Post
5th Level Iron Shirt Technique!
Is that where you iron your shirt while wearing it?
Impressive technique indeed.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
MikeLogan

United_States

It is certainly not unheard of for someone to say: "Ordinarily I would never have done it this way, but the situation presented itself as requiring such." in any field of endeavour.

Trying to form a mental block against a particular technique is like encasing a seldom used tool that you are as yet unfamiliar within unbreakable glass. You might reflex into the move and hit a flow/mind/body hiccup halfway through it due to the mental baggage.

You raise a good point about being realistic in which techniques you are more familiar with and in which you have the best grasp/habituation of the fundamentals. In a pinch you might not be picking and choosing, what your body is familiar doing will hopefully take over, so be aware and realistic about your basics.

Oh, and what Gene said. Happy Friday.

michael.

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy
Old 06-02-2007, 04:14 AM   #10
crbateman

The technique I would never use is whichever one, at that moment, won't work... Otherwise, all possibilities are open.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:59 AM   #11
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

All Kidding Aside...Allot of our Atemi is directed at the eyes, throat, and groin and the result could be very painful...I cannot predict if I would use it to it's fullest extent but in a fight situation if it was serious enough well...

William Hazen
Old 06-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #12
Carlos Rivera

Dojo: Aikido in Savannah
United_States

Oh, just do the Nike-do (Run, Forrest, Run!!)

But seriously, avoid the fight if you can.

If you cannot avoid it, you'll find your sense of self preservation, along with martial awareness (and good Aikido) will take over. As far as what technique to use. . . that's hard!! Things should just come naturally and you shouldn't be waiting for just one opportunity to use your "favorite technique." Real life fighting is not like shopping for discounted merchandise, you can't pick that nice pair of shoes up on the shelf. Sometimes you have to pick the less attractive boots on the lower shelf and walk out of the store.

Here's a short story: I have worked in prisons over 15 years, my "day at the office" is very atypical. One day I had this convicted felon who tried to stab me by coming in straight at my belly (I had already tried to talk him out of the whole thing) and guess what came out of the Aikido bag? Kote gaeshi!! Hey, it worked and I kept the shank (ok, that's prison slang for a knife) away from me and when I cranked back. . . his body followed in a short arch while his wrist snapped, then his face met the floor and I finished the pin- yes, his arm broke in a few other places. And yes, I walked away with one small abrasion from the scuffle instead of being gutted like a pig. Hey, it gave me a better appreciation of life as well as what my teachers have taught me!!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #13
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Carlos Rivera wrote: View Post
Oh, just do the Nike-do (Run, Forrest, Run!!)

But seriously, avoid the fight if you can.

If you cannot avoid it, you'll find your sense of self preservation, along with martial awareness (and good Aikido) will take over. As far as what technique to use. . . that's hard!! Things should just come naturally and you shouldn't be waiting for just one opportunity to use your "favorite technique." Real life fighting is not like shopping for discounted merchandise, you can't pick that nice pair of shoes up on the shelf. Sometimes you have to pick the less attractive boots on the lower shelf and walk out of the store.

Here's a short story: I have worked in prisons over 15 years, my "day at the office" is very atypical. One day I had this convicted felon who tried to stab me by coming in straight at my belly (I had already tried to talk him out of the whole thing) and guess what came out of the Aikido bag? Kote gaeshi!! Hey, it worked and I kept the shank (ok, that's prison slang for a knife) away from me and when I cranked back. . . his body followed in a short arch while his wrist snapped, then his face met the floor and I finished the pin- yes, his arm broke in a few other places. And yes, I walked away with one small abrasion from the scuffle instead of being gutted like a pig. Hey, it gave me a better appreciation of life as well as what my teachers have taught me!!

And yes your post is an excellent example of Aikido!

William Hazen
Old 06-05-2007, 12:47 AM   #14
Edward
Thailand

All and None.

Aikido techniques are designed to build certain reflexes and sensitivities. The ones that are the least likely to be used in a fight are probably the most beneficial ones to build your skills. You might never use them but they would indirectly save your life.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:31 AM   #15
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

There are some techniques that I doubt I will ever use in a fight. Typicly those are the more advanced techniques - simply going in and doing your thing.

My problem is not with those techniques - those are the best techniques I know. My problem is with me - those techniques require excelent timing, thus I would have to react in a real scary situaiton, in a calm I know is hard to achieve even on the mat. If I would be able to use such a technique, I will.

There are also a few variations to some techniques which are intended for "safe and harmless" learning and could not have the same effect in a real situation due to a well defined internal flow in the variation (at least in my teacher and my own preception). Again - those are variations that are meant for practice only, and as I have progressed I do try to practice other variations more.

Amir
Old 06-05-2007, 01:45 AM   #16
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Gianluigi Pizzuto wrote: View Post
Hi people. This is just a question to satisfy my curiosity, but that in the end can help you be realistic on your skills.

I don't want to enter the discassion of real fight already talked about milions of times, but the question is:

If you had to face a real fight, which one is the technique (if there is one) that you would never use? The reasons might be many, like you don't find it realible, too risky coz if you don't get it right will let your guard way too open to a counter, you think with your actual skill chances to pull out that technique are very low...and so on.

As a beginner I cannot answer to this question, because I still am not confident with none of my techniques hee hee.
I can't speak for myself because I have only been in DOJO BRAWL (TM) never in a REAL FIGHT (TM).

However, if I recall correctly, Kancho Shioda used the following in REAL FIGHT:

i) Sokumen Iriminage against a knife thrust while he was stationed in Shanghai during the war.
ii) a tegatana downward strike (shomen-uchi) on the knee/shin of an assailant and he broke the assailant's legm also in Shanghai
iii) A mune-tsuki punch into the stomach of the above mentioned assailant's goons and the said assailant was floored completely.
iv) Shihonage against a American GI with boxing background during the Occupation period.
and...
hiji-ate kokyu nage as well as shiho-nage.

There are some techniques I may have missed out because I am recalling from memory right now.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:36 AM   #17
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

Off the top of my head, two come to mind:

That version you see around for Yokomenuchi - matters not what technique follows - but the one where you block and stop uke's strike to do whatever;

and,

That version you see around for any attack - matters not what technique follows - but the one where your technique expects uke to run around you but for their own reasons.

dmv

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #18
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

All the techniques nicely compliment each other.

Sankyo and Shihonage are brother and sister. Irimi and Kokyu nage are brother and sister. Kaiten nage and kotegaishi are siblings.

It's hard to take out a technique because they all give strength to each other like links in a chain.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #19
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Like others have said it may be dangerous to subconsciously exclude any technique totally since there are so many potential situations. There are waza that don't work in 99% of typical situations and then you happen to end up in that 1% situation where it actually makes perfect sense.

Imho the situation determines the response. To place an absolute limit on your waza places a limit on your potential options for survival.

Of course, what Gene and David said above are true too.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 06-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #20
Ed Stansfield

Dojo: Mason Street Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
the one where your technique expects uke to run around you but for their own reasons.
Those guys again!

It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.

Winston Churchill, 1930.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #21
charyuop
Dojo: Ponca Aikikai
United_States

All these answers show me that all the Aikidoka who write in this forum are 100% sure of their skills. I can't wait for the day I will feel confident the same way as you are in my skills.

Anyway, I know that a technique is supposed to come out by instinct. But if someone like the example of the prison guard tries to stab you with a streight shot, it leaves open many possibilities of countering. If you never pull out a kotegaeshi in the dojo, even tho the situation is good for one as in the example above I doubt you would opt for that solution.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #22
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

You will respond the same way you train; as long as your training actually mimics the situation.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:30 PM   #23
Janet Rosen

Quote:
David Valadez wrote: View Post
That version you see around for any attack - matters not what technique follows - but the one where your technique expects uke to run around you but for their own reasons.
dmv
Oh yeah, even in a training "non real world" environment that one always drove me nuts - especially as a short slow uke being told that I'm SUPPOSED to WANT to run in a big circle around some big person trying to catch up with their wrists. huh?!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-06-2007, 01:55 AM   #24
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Oh yeah, even in a training "non real world" environment that one always drove me nuts - especially as a short slow uke being told that I'm SUPPOSED to WANT to run in a big circle around some big person trying to catch up with their wrists. huh?!
Very simple answer:
I have seen some places which train in this manner,
we don't.

You should find a place that suites your wishes \ needs.

Do not forget some things are practiced as part of the learninig process and are not meant to stay this way (we actually explain this from the first time - do it this way now, another way later. Because doing it this way will tech you ro XXX even though it is not practical because ...).

Amir
Old 06-06-2007, 02:00 AM   #25
Ed Stansfield

Dojo: Mason Street Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
I'm SUPPOSED to WANT to run in a big circle
Yes:

Best,

Ed

It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.

Winston Churchill, 1930.