Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Power and Compassion

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
My experiance mirrors Sensei Hooker's to a degree...and by practicing "not fighting" I've been told I have turned into a really sweet guy.
Really? I've been questioned by some pretty top-notch martial-artists about why I put up with some of the self-absorbed contributors in martial-arts forums like AikiWeb. My reply usually has to do with the fact that I look for facts and ignore the people who are into it for themselves. Could we get off this worry about personal appearances?

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 06-27-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Haowen Chan wrote: View Post
Mixing in values and judgements into a technical matter simply misses the point and diminishes both the stand-alone importance of the values and the usefulness of the technical information.
I absolutely agree. And frankly, I've met too many top-notch Asians who were puzzled by the western tendency to equate emotional considerations with what is to them a practical and beautiful study.

It's like those too-many westerners are afraid to simply let go of the emotional aspects and follow a true, non-emotional Way.

There is a tendency to fantasize/mix very sophisticated Asian philosophy with something like "Kwai Chang Cain" and David Carradine in "Kung Fu". A complete absurdity and misunderstanding.

The priests of Zen, Buddhism, and Taoism were the people of the village who told villagers the cold hard truths and advised them of practicalities...., not the master-strokers we find in so many dojo's.

But that's not what so many popularists are looking for, particularly in Aikido... a fantasy, not a reality or a real Dao.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 06-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Really? I've been questioned by some pretty top-notch martial-artists about why I put up with some of the self-absorbed contributors in martial-arts forums like AikiWeb. My reply usually has to do with the fact that I look for facts and ignore the people who are into it for themselves. Could we get off this worry about personal appearances?

Regards,

Mike Sigman
I totally agree....So why not take your own advice and ignore me and please stop your personal attacks or take it to PM. Much to your dismay my observations about the link between spiritual and Martial aka technical development were not directed to you. Why you continue to take my posts personally is a problem you may wish to address with your "peers"

As for Mr. Chan I have been both an Aikidoka and practicing Buddhist in the Soto Zen tradition for 20 years. While the two may not have a metaphysical "direct link" BOTH have a technical application that can produce a "spiritual" result...and one of those "results" IMHO is the capacity for greater compassion. Which by the way is one of the philosphies of Budo.

The title of the thread is "Power and Compassion" and I am simply sharing my knowledge of the subject and I also a simple question related to the thread topic.

Of course there are those who may not agree with my opinion and are more than welcome to rebuke it.

Amazingly most are like Mr. Chan and are able to do it compassionately and without rancour.

William Hazen

Last edited by Aikibu : 06-27-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Amazingly most are like Mr. Chan and are able to do it compassionately and without rancour.
Who has rancor? Disagreement with a poseur is not "rancor"; it's more like "distaste". Are you suggesting that your mindset represents the thinking of Soto Zen, then?

I think this offer of yours that you represent the thinking of Zen thought is a pretty good topic for the thread, then, in terms of "Power and Compassion". Maybe we can track what went wrong, after all!

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 06-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Who has rancor? Disagreement with a poseur is not "rancor"; it's more like "distaste". Are you suggesting that your mindset represents the thinking of Soto Zen, then?

I think this offer of yours that you represent the thinking of Zen thought is a pretty good topic for the thread, then, in terms of "Power and Compassion". Maybe we can track what went wrong, after all!

Regards,

Mike Sigman
You just won't let go of it...I am simply relating my personal experiance and giving Mr Chan some background regarding the nature of my opinion.

You have apparently decided to make me the straw man and hold me up as the poster boy for your dislike of some of the folks who post here on Aikiweb because thier experiances are the polar opposite of yours and/or you feel you have the answers and those who are are still finding their own "way" are worthy of contempt or belittlement.

Do whatever you have to do there Sifu. I have never had a personal beef with you. I refuse to disrespect or attack you and take note gentle readers... I won't change my attitude about Mr. Sigman via PM either. He knows that too.

William Hazen

Hopefully we have not ruined this thread for the others but if you wish to continue then please take my suggestion and Jun's direction and take it to PM

Last edited by Aikibu : 06-27-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Of course there are those who may not agree with my opinion and are more than welcome to rebuke it.
Make up your mind then.

I suspect that your offer, once again, of personal trappings like the "I am Soto Zen" will make an interesting addition to the whole topic of "Power and Compassion". I've already voiced my opinion about the number of role-players I perceive as an additive effect to the "Hidden in Plain Sight" paradigm offered by Ellis. Perhaps you could add a few salient thoughts?

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 06-27-2008, 10:12 PM   #7
Aikibu
United_States

Quote:
Make up your mind then.

I suspect that your offer, once again, of personal trappings like the "I am Soto Zen" will make an interesting addition to the whole topic of "Power and Compassion". I've already voiced my opinion about the number of role-players I perceive as an additive effect to the "Hidden in Plain Sight" paradigm offered by Ellis. Perhaps you could add a few salient thoughts?

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Perhaps I could. I am just waiting for you to stop attacking me and return to the thread topic. And by the way it would be helpful if you did not take what I said out of context...

I'll post again on the topic when your finished. In the mean time I'll just enjoy what others have to contribute on the subject.

William Hazen

Last edited by Aikibu : 06-27-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:17 AM   #8
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Quote:
Who has rancor?
Jabba the hut!