Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-23-2002, 01:23 AM   #1
Matt Ashley

Best "Martial Aiki" video demonstration

Can anybody out there recommend a good video that presents the "martial" aspect of aikido?

I've seen many good instructional videos, but this is not what I am looking for. I'm interested in some good footage of nage dealing with (controlling) uke decisively. I'm not anxious to see broken bones, but I would like to see a good exposition of the more militant side of aikido. Perhaps what I am looking for falls under the heading of Aiki Jujutsu ...

I've found that many of this type of footage is vintage, in fact I've seen some brief vintage clips of Kanai Sensei that were just dazzling. From what I've described, is O Sensei's early video "Aiki Budo" good?

Any other video recommendations (Aikio, Daito ryu, Yanagi ryu, etc.) are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Matt
Old 10-23-2002, 08:03 AM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
IMHO, I really like the demonstration tapes from this years Aiki Expo put on by Stanley Pranin at Aikido Journal. Two tapes with twenty demonsrtations. Some good, some bad, but a great variety. Daito-ryu, Aiki Jujitsu, and a military scenario were included. Worth the look see.

OBTW, the Aiki Expo will happen again next year, September, in Las Vegas. Worth it.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-23-2002, 09:03 AM   #3
Shinken
Matt:

If you find yourself questioning the martial ability of aikido (thinking maybe what you want is actually aikijujitsu), I encourage you (and everyone!) to buy Gozo Shioda's book Aikido Shugyo, which was just published in English for the first time. It shows you how to approach your aikido training keeping in mind the martial reality of the training. Lots of great combat stories too!

--Joe
Old 10-23-2002, 11:09 AM   #4
Sean Moffatt
Dojo: Tidewater Aikikai
Quote:
Joe Sweeney (Shinken) wrote:
Matt:

If you find yourself questioning the martial ability of aikido (thinking maybe what you want is actually aikijujitsu), I encourage you (and everyone!) to buy Gozo Shioda's book Aikido Shugyo, which was just published in English for the first time. It shows you how to approach your aikido training keeping in mind the martial reality of the training. Lots of great combat stories too!

--Joe

I second that. Great book! Shioda Talks the Talk and Walks the Walk.

Sean
Old 10-23-2002, 12:04 PM   #5
Paul Smith
Third that. An invaluable resource.

Paul

Paul Smith
Old 10-23-2002, 03:16 PM   #6
Graff
Are you referring to the book "Total Aikido"?
Old 10-23-2002, 06:18 PM   #7
Mike Collins
United_States
I've also seen video tape of Shioda Sensei doing a multiple person attack randori and it was beautifully efficient. Very martial.

There are two tapes out by Toshishiro Obata which are also good.

But in my humble opinion, if you look at some of the vintage tapes of the late Osawa sensei, and you know what you're looking at, you'll also see some very effective technique.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:53 PM   #8
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
see what you can find of Chiba Sensei too! Talk about an amazing aikidoka!
Old 10-24-2002, 09:44 AM   #9
akiy

Quote:
I encourage you (and everyone!) to buy Gozo Shioda's book Aikido Shugyo, which was just published in English for the first time.
I just started reading the original Japanese version of this book last night. Quite interesting.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-24-2002, 03:58 PM   #10
Matt Ashley

Quote:
Matt:

If you find yourself questioning the martial ability of aikido (thinking maybe what you want is actually aikijujitsu), I encourage you (and everyone!) to buy Gozo Shioda's book Aikido Shugyo ...

--Joe
It's not that I'm questioning the effectiveness of Aikido; that's another issue. Thank you, Shinken, for the recommendation though. My primary interest in a new Aikido video is for entertainment. Some people enjoy watching the silly desplays of pro "wrestling"; I find footage of powerfully executed Aikido/Aiki Jujutsu more compelling. Is my interest aroused by the male proclivity to observe violence? Possibly, but when I watch (or participate in) well executed Aikido the feeling of conflict (and eventual resolution) is strong. Technique with strong intent and engagement is intersting to watch. The lack of which is why I find WWF/WWE and sometimes boxing boring.

At this point in my training, I find my self constantly in awe of my seniors and also frustrated. Some people's Aikido is so subtle, it's hard to tell what's going on in their technique. Unless I can enter an uchi-deshi program, I have limited opportunity to train with many advanced Aikidoka. Therefore, I must rely on watching others. I respect the beautiful techniques of my sempai, but there is also an attraction to the direct and efficient application of Aiki. The movements in this martial/military Aiki (I mistakenly used the term "militant" in my first post ... different connotation) seem to be more discrete and the forces involved are easier to identify.

I'm hoping to spend my limited funds on an entertaining video. However, I'll be more than entertained; I'll be enlightened by appreciating a dynamic art. If I learn something too ... that will be a bonus. As for Chiba Sensei, after my first (and last) practice session with him, I'll stick to watching him on tape.

reflections on Ueshiba's "Aiki Budo" video anyone?

thanks

Matt
Old 10-25-2002, 05:58 AM   #11
darin
Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
I just started reading the original Japanese version of this book last night. Quite interesting.

-- Jun
I also have the Japanese version. Its a good read.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:58 AM   #12
MAH
Can someone give me an idea of what this book is like and what Shioda Sensei's aikido was like?

Gozo Shioda's book Aikido Shugyo

Thanks,

MAH
Old 10-30-2002, 12:05 PM   #13
akiy

Here's a link to the English version of "Aikido Shugyo" which includes information on the book itself:

http://www.shindokanbooks.com/shugyo.shtml

As far as Shioda sensei's aikido, his lineage is continued in Yoshinkan aikido. There are also numerous tapes of him around, too. Good stuff.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!