Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-26-2001, 10:04 AM   #26
Scott_in_Kansas
Hey Michelle,

Are you trained in MANDT restraint techniques? Your description sounded like the MANDT techniques I was trained in when I worked at a mental hospital. I had to use them a few times and they worked reasonably well, not a well as aikido though.

Keep in mind MANDT techniques are not meant to be used on much larger opponents. They are designed to employ large muscle groups against small muscle groups. They are intended to be completely free of joint strain or pain.

At the hospital I was at we usually employed multiple people to restrain violent patients, so we really never needed to be that martially adept.

Respectfully,

Scott in Kansas
Old 09-27-2001, 05:21 AM   #27
Ninjachick
Hi Scott
No, never even heard of MANDT. We have one or two person restraint techniques - both involve just holding their arm behind their back with no stress on any joints. Don't think I've ever seen it employed effectively. Can you give me any idea where I could find information about MANDT restraint?
Thanks
Mich
Old 10-01-2001, 02:15 AM   #28
stealth
Dojo: Ninjitsu (underground dojo)
Quote:
Originally posted by Ninjachick
We have one or two person restraint techniques
That's strange, the ninjitsu style I've studied involves at least 45 joint locks/restraints. It derived, no doubt, from aikijujitsu.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:50 AM   #29
nikonl
China
Ai symbol No one else?

hmm...That's All for real life aikido experiences? No one else had to use Aikido for other situations??
Old 10-02-2001, 09:16 AM   #30
Scott_in_Kansas
Michelle,

More info on MANDT training can be found at:

http://www.mandtsystem.com/

Respectfully,

Scott in Kansas
Old 10-02-2001, 09:31 AM   #31
cguzik
Check out

http://www.aikidofaq.com/stories/real_life.html

and

http://www.aikidofaq.com/stories/real_life2.html

Chris
Old 10-02-2001, 09:35 AM   #32
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden
no experience a good thing!

Yes! I'm glad to see so few "real Aikido experience". Maybe O'senei accompished something after all (I mean more than making at least my life to a pleasant journey!)

The fact that aikidoka behave in a manner that doesn't invite agressors is in my opinion a very very good thing.

Sheers mates!

Jakob Blomquist
Old 03-31-2002, 08:21 AM   #33
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia

I'm surprised there are so little "real life" situations in here. But it's a good thing I guess
Okay: mine:
Coming from the rehearsal at 10pm in a bus stop. A friendly drunk guy starts talking about music... then insists that I play for him and he sings. I said sorry man, It's an electric and so on and so on... At last he sais that oh I'm sorry and stands up... I stood up too and made the distance. Then he goes that he'll make me play and flips a knife out of his pocket towards my throat. I instinctively grabbed the knifehand and then it was like -freeze- -what the hell am i doing- After a little messing around got the knife with some move similar to disarmament in kaiten-sankyo against knife. Then backed with the knife... gave it to a cabdriver had him to call the police and jumped on the bus (being shocked ) Later I realised that if he had thought a bit more I would be probably dead now. I didn't move away from the line of attack. (I couldn't do rokkyo 'cause there was the booth and no shihonage 'cause I had a guitar on my back... kotegaeshi would've been the right soultuion) But I managed... and I thank Aikido for that. Although I did a really crappy move I didn't FREEZE right away.

Long live MA

Jorgen
Estonia
Old 04-01-2002, 08:26 AM   #34
nikonl
China
Ai symbol

wow, didn't know this thread was still alive...

its good that we have these experience sometimes, makes us more concious of what we are training for.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:10 PM   #35
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
My son was recently walking home from work down a busy street here in our city. As he approached a bus stop, a man came up to him and started asking for money. My son said that he didn't have any. He turned his back to him and kept walking. The man told him again that he wanted money but this time more forcefully. He then came up on my son from behind and grabbed him from the shoulder and jerked him backwards hard. The force of the pull tore my son's shirt down the back. My son said that he didn't have time to think. He said that he heard the man come up behind him and was surprised when he grabbed him. As he was falling backwards, he turned his body as if to roll but regained his balance enough to deliver an atemi to his ribs. He said that when he hit him, he made a sound like he was expelling air. The man still had his shirt by the shoulder (or what was left of it). He then grabbed his hand and turned it into a sankyo going underneath his arm and threw him backwards as hard as he could. That ended the assault. He hit the ground hard and was in a lot of pain. My son left the area immediately and came home holding his shirt in his hand. The next day, when he was at work, he looked out the window and saw the man walking down the street. He had a cast on his arm running down his arm all the way to his fingers.
I was grateful that my boy wasn't hurt and that he was able to use his knowledge of aikido to save himself. He just turned 18 and has been in aikido for 7 years.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 04-10-2002, 07:51 AM   #36
nikonl
China
Ai symbol

Thanx for sharing Jorge