Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-17-2005, 08:43 AM   #1
hopparn
Dojo: YMCA-YWCA Uppsala Aikido
Sweden
Nishio Sensei has past away

Nishio Sensei died on tuesday 15 / 3

Nishio Sensei was 77 years old
Old 03-17-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Nishio Sensei

I just saw this posted over on Aikido Journal.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/...pic.php?t=6859

Have been trying to get further confirmation but no luck so far. There is nothing mentioned on his homepage or at the Aikikai homepage. Does anyone have more news regarding this?

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-17-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
Stanley Pranin
United_States
Re: Nishio Sensei

We have so far been unable to confirm this report, but we should have a clarification within a few hours.

Stanley Pranin
Old 03-17-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
hopparn
Sweden

i posted this a few hours ago *netiquett*

i got the message from one of "uppsala budoklubbs" head instructors message: http://www.budo.se/forum/showthread.php?t=2005 in swedish), one with very close bonds to nishio sensei and his aikido (I to come from a Nishio inspired club)
To confirm the headinstructors close bond to Nishio sensei i post this link to his club http://www.hokuoaikikai.com/english/index.html
Old 03-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #5
hopparn
Sweden

I can confirm now
i have received a email where the sender is one of our clubmembers, he have had contact with takemori sensei - our sensei and he let us know that Nishio sensei died 15/3
Old 03-17-2005, 01:45 PM   #6
E.D. Gordon
Dojo: Shobukan Maryland
United_States

Quote:
Patrick Svensson wrote:
I can confirm now
i have received a email where the sender is one of our clubmembers, he have had contact with takemori sensei - our sensei and he let us know that Nishio sensei died 15/3
Thank you for saying something. I had been frantically searching for a Swedish-English translator to decipher Stenudd Sensei's comments from the board. My German is not enough to get it all.

My deepest, heartbroken condolences to all who lost a beautiful teacher.

The strange synchronicity is that tonight, I taught his 3-count drill and talked about the way he wove his arts together in one of the most cogent and coherent visions of Aikido extant.

He was also one of the most kind and graceful people I ever met (San Antonio 1998).

I remember he was a scotch drinker. I have ordered some very special scotch for my husband's return, and we will drink to Shoji Nishio's memory.

May Nishio Sensei's students remain both strong and kind.

The greatest backhanded compliment I ever received, on my shodan test (in another style with a Nishio student as an uke) was that it looked more like that style, than my own.

I really fell in love with what Nishio was doing, and would have gladly followed that system, if I had not run into a jujutsu system doing much the same thing, in the right place at the right time.

I still take every opportunity to keep an eye towards what Nishio and his students are doing, and I always will. The best of aikido lives on in that school.

Again, my most heartbroken condolences..

Emily Dolan Gordon
Old 03-18-2005, 12:44 AM   #7
Paul Kerr

Very sad news. My deepest condolences.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:41 AM   #8
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

This is indeed bad news. I have only experienced Nishio sensei at about 4 times at week long seminars, and I am sad to say that it was when I was a rank beginner. We practice Nishio ryu in our dojo and I am going there this year in September. I was hoping to experience this great teacher once more, but it is not going to be so.

My condolences to all out there that knew him so much better than i did. Let's take a moment to mourn him, and then get back to practicing his great vision of aikido as 'the forgiving budo'. He shall be missed, but life and aikido will go on.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 03-18-2005, 02:44 AM   #9
JJF

Denmark

Confirmation can be found on the official Nishio Sensei web-site:

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~nisio/HTML/eigo.html

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Old 03-18-2005, 02:50 AM   #10
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Jogen beat me to it.

I have only recently been able to look at Nishio Sensei through the very cheap ($14) VHS tapes being sold off by Stan Pranin over at AJ, in fact the three that I ordered only turned up this Tuesday. I like what I've seen so far. My sincere condolences to his family and students.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-18-2005, 04:44 AM   #11
JJF

Denmark

Hi Bryan

If you want to experience the aikido style of Nishio sensei then get on a plane to Denmark asap (with Ryan Air it's just af few pounds). Next week monday through saturday we have the anual easter seminar with Arisou sensei (7. dan - student of nishio sensei through 35 years). If you get here before monday bright and early you can hitch a ride with me to the site of the seminar.

You can read a bit more about it on www.aikikai.dk

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Old 03-18-2005, 08:12 AM   #12
SeiserL

United_States

Condelences and compassion to the family, friends, and students from all of us at the Tenshinkai Westminster Aikikai Dojo.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:13 AM   #13
AikiWeb System
Shoji Nishio Sensei Passes Away

Posted 2005-03-18 11:12:01 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~nisio/html/eigo.html

Shoji Nishio sensei, 8th dan Aikikai, passed away on March 15th, 2005 from cancer at age 77. The funeral and wake were conducted with only his family and relatives in attendance. There will be an official funeral on March 26th at 1pm at Jiunkaki at the Zohjohji temple in central Tokyo (4-7-35, Shibakoen, Minato-ku, Tokyo). My condolences go out to all of his family, friends, and loved ones.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:00 AM   #14
Peter Brown

Dojo: kyu shin kan leicester uk
United Kingdom

I would like to send condolences and respects after hearing the sad news of the passing of a great master, from everyone at the Kyu Shin Kan Dojo in Leicester UK,
Old 03-20-2005, 11:56 AM   #15
aoerstroem
Dojo: Renshin Aikido Dojo, Copenhagen, Denmark
Denmark

Sad news indeed, he will be missed.
I too follow Nihio's style, and I am sorry that I will never get to experience him myself.

My deepest condolences to those who knew him and to all the future generations that will have to do without him.

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,
but in the mastery of his passions.
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Old 03-22-2005, 10:14 AM   #16
Justin Gaar
Dojo: Aikido Academy Of Self Defense
United_States
Ki Symbol Re: Nishio Sensei has past away

My deepest sympathies to Nishio Sensei and his family. He has taught alot of people. He shall never be forgotten.

If you arrest a mime, do you have tell him he has the right to remain silent?
Old 03-29-2005, 02:11 AM   #17
JJF

Denmark

This just to inform you that the easter camp in Denmark last week was carried through as planned in spite of Senseis death. Both Arisou sensei and the other representatives from the circles around Nishio sensei was influenced by the sad incident but carried on and created a seminar in a spirit and with a great atmosphere.

Early Saturday morning a ceremony was performed where almost 100 aikidoka from many countries paid there respect and each lit a stick of incense in front of a display with a lovely flower decoration, one of senseis dogi's and several pictures of sensei the way we remember him.

We were all deeply moved by the beautiful ceremony and in senseis spirit the following practiced was performed with all the vigor and enthusiasm that we could give.

He shall be missed - but it is good to know that his aikido lives and breathes.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Old 04-04-2005, 01:17 AM   #18
JJF

Denmark

A good friend of mine took this beautiful picture of the table with the insense sticks candles and pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nishio sensei ceremony.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	251  

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Old 04-07-2005, 01:47 AM   #19
Mark Jewkes
Dojo: Frederikshavn Budo Klub
Denmark

Hi everybody
Joergen has already given a description, but I would like to submit my version as well.

At the easter seminar in Denmark taught by Arisue Sensei, one of Nishio Senseis foremost students, a memorial ceremony was held on the 26th of march.
The shomen was placed close to the tatami. On the shomen were pictures of Nishio Sensei, a flower decoration,candles, his bokken. On display was one of his dogi jackets.
Iwakata-san from the Warabi Dojo had fetched sand from the beach in Saeby, for the 3 white bowls for incence sticks. At 0800 o´clock sharp about 100 participants stood in line, and listened to Arisue Senseis speech. After that ever body marched 2 and 2 towards the shomen, put down an envelope with a money gift, lit the incense on one of the two burning candles, said a silent prayer bowed and went back. The whole ceremony last about one hour. One hour in silence with attention focused on the shomen area and the persons showing their respect. Many people had tears in their eyes returning to the line.
After the last pair of mourners Okamoto-san from Warabi stood in front and held a little speech in English with tremendous vocal power. He said something like: Please don´t cry, we must instead train more and more in the spirit of Nishio Sensei.
The rest of the day was spent training.

After the seminar Iwakata ,who had planned the ceremony to the tiniest detail, presented us with the three incense bowls. Some of the ash would be returned to Senseis wife together with the gifts. Most of the sand and ash is kept at Frederikshavn Budo Klub for future memorials. One of the pictures present at the ceremony, was our own signed foto-portrait of Nishio Sensei by Michael Fowler. As it now stands in our shomen, it has gained a certain significance for us present at the ceremony.

The ceremony in Saeby provided for us an opportunity to say good-bye to Nishio Sensei. By dying a couple of days before the seminar Sensei gave us this opportunity to gather - an act of will? Who knows but it wouldn´t surprise me.

Joergen: would you be so kind as to mail the beautiful picture to me. I know that Iwakata-san looks for pictures like that, so do we.

regards
Mark
tak for sidst!
Old 04-07-2005, 01:48 AM   #20
Mark Jewkes
Dojo: Frederikshavn Budo Klub
Denmark

Sorry not Okamoto but Sakamoto-san of course
Old 04-07-2005, 03:20 AM   #21
JJF

Denmark

Hi Mark

Thank's for the more detailed desciption. You have added aspects I wasn't aware of. Of course I will send you the picture. It is originally from Rico's collection. I have a few more in my own collection as well and I'll gather what ever I have and send it to you. Just PM me with your e-mail adress...

Sincerely

- Jørgen Jakob Friis