Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-14-2003, 04:47 AM   #1
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
European Medieval Combat

Just bought Hans Talhoffer's Medieval Combat (trans. Mark Rector). After reading some posts on another thread, I realized other people are also interested or participating in re-creation of European fighting systems.

Has your aikido experiences helped or are irrelevant? How are the people from the Society of Creative Anacronism or the group you train with, different/same as the dojo you go to? Any other interesting experiences or insights?

Last edited by tedehara : 09-14-2003 at 04:50 AM.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 09-14-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Hi Ted

You have hit on one of my big interests.

Full contact armored combat is quite a lot of fun......done lots of it in the 15 or so years that I have participated in the S.C.A.

Work and general life-scheduling have pretty much put a halt to getting to make fighter practices. But, the few times I have gotten to go, melees are much better after learning about randori techniques. When I get my center into my sword shots, they are much more effective.

Haven't worked with spear yet in combat since starting aikido, but I bet I can "acquire" one from opponents with more ease and style. We'll see at the war.

I have found that the footwork for sword and shield technique gets in the way of my newer footwork patterns.HA!

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 09-14-2003, 11:28 PM   #3
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: European Medieval Combat

Quote:
Ted Ehara (tedehara) wrote:
Has your aikido experiences helped or are irrelevant?
I've been unable to participate the last three years due to work but I still pull things from my experiences with the SCA into the dojo. When I was still active I was pulling things from the dojo into my SCA practice.
Quote:
How are the people from the Society of Creative Anacronism or the group you train with, different/same as the dojo you go to?
Mostly they are the same as any other people you might meet. I did find that the number of people with an inflated sense of self-importance was sometimes pretty high. There are people who train it as a serious martial art, some do it to keep active, some because their S.I. is involved, etc. just like the dojo.
Quote:
Any other interesting experiences or insights?
After about a year of aikido training I was fighting the guy who'd taught me polearm. We faced off for a few seconds and he said "stop that". "Stop what?" I said. "I don't know what your doing but it's different and I don't like it...so stop it." he said. Then I hit him in the face

Try very hard to not throw you partner with kotegeashi during fencing practice...they

hate it

Make sure you have good strong neck muscles before you try to roll with a 13lb helmet on.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 09-15-2003, 05:29 AM   #4
paw
Ted,

Read This thread for a variety of opinions on SCA.

Regards,

Paul
Old 09-15-2003, 09:32 PM   #5
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Ted,

If you are new to the medieval scene and are interested in the SCA you should definitely read the thread posted by Paul. While it leans a little to the con side of the SCA many many of the points are valid and it'll give you a good heads up for things to watch for.

If you're not new and are honest with yourself you've probably already noticed that stuff.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."