Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-11-2005, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How helpful is feeling techniques in learning aikido for you?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of December 11, 2005:

How helpful is feeling techniques in learning aikido for you?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Critically helpful
  • Very helpful
  • Somewhat helpful
  • Not very helpful
  • Not at all helpful
Here are the current results.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Poll: How helpful is feeling techniques in learning aikido for you?

I came up principally in Saotome schools. He's masterful at imparting the feeling of a technique.

Years later, I find myself inclined to Yoshinkan/Iwama/DR style, "This is where you put your foot"-style teaching. I've benefitted greatly from Mary Heiny's step-by-step instruction as well as Saito's videos.

I find it makes my technique more economical, precise.

In my teaching, I try to give my students the benefit of both--clear instructions and lessons built around the prinicpal so they practice the same thing all class, the same feeling, albeit with different "techniques".

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 12-12-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Sounds great Don. I didn't understand why Andy Foertsche taught ikyo, then sumi otoshi on Friday night - until early the next morning - when I was half dreaming about throwing a stiff armed kohai. KUZUSHI !!!!!!!

I like to close my eyes if I'm doing a technique wrong, so I can feel more. Of course this is trickier if the attack is a strike and contact hasn't been made yet!

David
Old 12-12-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
billybob

United_States

Sorry. Not sumi otoshi, a kokyu nage similar to ikyo - throwing to the front.

dk
Old 12-12-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
I came up principally in Saotome schools. He's masterful at imparting the feeling of a technique.

Years later, I find myself inclined to Yoshinkan/Iwama/DR style, "This is where you put your foot"-style teaching. I've benefitted greatly from Mary Heiny's step-by-step instruction as well as Saito's videos.

I find it makes my technique more economical, precise.

In my teaching, I try to give my students the benefit of both--clear instructions and lessons built around the prinicpal so they practice the same thing all class, the same feeling, albeit with different "techniques".
Don,

As for me, I came from the opposite direction. From the Yoshinkan style of teaching i.e., "put your foot here, hands 89.995 degrees perpendicular to the mats, feet 57.678 cm apart bla bla bla ...", now my sensei forces us to do lots of randori / jiyu waza and our stance are from shizentai rather than from kamae. And we are loving the free style of doing aikido.

Feeling is very important in teaching / imparting technical knowledge. Try explaining kuzushi by words versus showing kuzushi by action, my vote is on critically important.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
Mike Haftel
Japan

By feeling, I assume you mean having it done to you?

If so, then yes. I feel it is quite important.

You can't, logically, know how to apply any martial principle or technique without knowing how it feels to be at the receiving end first.

In my school we practice the same two techniques and a few of their variations for a few months straight, then move on to two others for a few months, etc... Strange, I know, but it actually seems to be a superior method of training. We get plenty of practice on each technique and I seem to progress much faster due to that.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:54 AM   #7
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

I answered critically helpful. Anyone who has ever attended a seminar with Ezra sensei will understand why...

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 12-13-2005, 09:05 PM   #8
Don_Modesto

Quote:
David Knowlton wrote:
Sorry. Not sumi otoshi, a kokyu nage similar to ikyo - throwing to the front.

dk
Hi, David,

We in the ASU fold aren't real strong on the terminology of aikido. In John's dojo, SUMI OTOSHI throws to the front. This is what I mean by the term, too. That's different than the way that, say Mifune Kyuzo's did, though. Both do throw to A corner...

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
Old 12-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #9
Don_Modesto

Quote:
Mike Haftel wrote:
By feeling, I assume you mean having it done to you?
Hadn't, but that makes sense, too.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
Old 12-14-2005, 09:13 AM   #10
billybob

United_States

Don M. said: "Hi, David,
We in the ASU fold aren't real strong on the terminology of aikido. In John's dojo, SUMI OTOSHI throws to the front. This is what I mean by the term, too. That's different than the way that, say Mifune Kyuzo's did, though. Both do throw to A corner..."

I looked the throw up on google images and realized my error - for once though I chose to be silent and try not to make it worse! The last ten years I have focused on 'doing' life and my vocabulary has slipped - aided by the sudden onset of middle age - so strange to see an over forty face in the mirror.

Re: current discussion I will hazard to add that it is the feeling during koshi, or falling, ukemi that set me free when I was a teenager. That feeling of accepting without fear or tension I think is what makes us really learn and really know our bodies - and the truth of the world around us.

Dave
Old 12-14-2005, 06:21 PM   #11
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Quote:
Pauliina Lievonen wrote:
...Anyone who has ever attended a seminar with Ezra sensei will understand why...
kvaak Pauliina
Tell me more Bwana, I will probably be moving to England in March and have heard of Ezra Sensei from an English guy I respect quite a bit. I'm interested in hear more about this "Ezra Sensei".

joe
Old 12-14-2005, 10:57 PM   #12
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

When I first started aikido I found it very frustrating being told that I had to feel it. That was the way it was in my first school, and I just interpreted it then as a lame excuse for not understanding how to teach the technique. I'm way more analytical and step-by-step instructions is what works for me, at least to learn the technique. But these days, now that I know the basic mechanics of most techniques, getting feel and flow is really helpful. For example, Donovan Waite was visiting our dojo and he taught a class for the night and whenever I tried to break things down my techniques just wasn't right, but then I just watched his overall movement and imitated his movement. And, voila! There it was and everything came into place. Of course, I wasn't able to duplicate it.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 12-15-2005, 05:53 AM   #13
Michael Meister
Dojo: South Hetton
United Kingdom

Feeling a technique wasn't as important to me as was knowing were to place my hand, foot or whatever part of my body, when I started out with Aikido. However, that was five years ago, and as I progress in my Aikido, feeling does get more important. I think it's a bit like carving a statue. Knowing were to place your feet is like the deft strokes you use at the beginning, until you have the crude form of what you want. But as you get to the core, your motions need to be finer, and sometimes a nearly impercebtible brush over here and there is what makes the difference between something ordinary and a masterpiece.
In Aikido that is the point, where feeling comes in. The part, which is to small to put in terms of put your left here or there, but which actually makes all the difference. I'm just starting to feel, that there is something like that.
I think, most people start out the same, and it doesn't really matter if your Sensai starts out with teaching you step by step, or tries to make you feel the technique from the beginning. You always start to get into the physical position, and as you get near it, you, if your mind is open for it, start to feel it.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:22 PM   #14
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada
Smile Re: Poll: How helpful is feeling techniques in learning aikido for you?

I had to answer, "Critically helpful" --- learning is practically all about feel to me these days.

Open Sky Aikikai - http://www.winnipegaikido.com
"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." - Morihei Ueshiba