Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-17-2005, 01:05 AM   #1
dyffcult
United_States
Reality TV Proposal-- Pitch

REALITY SHOW PITCH

A bunch of people who have no martial arts experience agree to live and train in a dojo for three months. A person is eliminated every other week. Experience of living in the dojo, away from family and friends is shown. Experience on the mat with other students of the dojo is shown. Determination of which student will be kicked is shown. Should the show survive the first year, other locals and martial arts may be viable, i.e. Japan, China, Korea, Brazil, etc. Example follows.

UCHI DESHI -- (first season) Aikido (thereafter, other martial arts will follow)

TEASER

VOICE OVER (along the lines of Iron Chef)

Centuries ago in Japan, people would devote their lives to the study of a martial art. They would petition a master for study, and if accepted would become ... UCHI DESHI. They would devote their lives to service of the master, hoping that they would learn the art in exchange. The master's desires were to be anticipated and fulfilled before asking. Daily life consisted of fulfilling the needs of the master in the hopes of a bit of wisdom. Chores were routine, training was daily.

From all over the world, twelve people have been chose to serve as UCHI DESHI to [insert name of master here]. They will live in the dojo. They will serve the master. They will train at least five hours a day. Every other week, Sensei will dismiss the least of the students, until only one student is remaining.

THREE ACTS

Shots of training and life off the mat. (i.e. training on the mat, life in the dojo...chores, etc. time with fellow dojo mates at bars and restaurants or other locations.) Confessions to the camera in a private room. Shots of Sensei teaching students and chastising participants. Shots of Sensei in a private room. Shots of training.

TRAILER

Dismissal of the student of the alternating week with explanation as to why the student failed, along with private comments to the camera by the student if warranted. OR Comments about the students who may be dismissed the next week depending upon the 22 episode cycle. Comments by Sensei, sempai, and fellow students not contracted for the show at the selected dojo.

The final episode will entail the test and awarding of the black belt.

(Yeah, I know. Humor section, remember. This is reality tv. Give me a break :-)

Brenda, associate producer
<giggles>
Old 09-17-2005, 01:11 AM   #2
NixNa
Re: Reality TV Proposal-- Pitch

Hehehe i really like the idea of that, but its high time i take a break frm reality tv.
Btw, where do you suggest we insert the cheesy love affair with sensei and the betrayal-of-sempai episodes? And lets not forget about the evil plot to backstab all the uchi deshi. Last man standing gets a fat turkey cash prize and a chance to be on the gossip pages.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:00 AM   #3
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Perhaps the only consistent thing about reality TV is how unreal it is. True advancement in the martial arts is more like watching paint dry. Perhaps a producer can change that into something dramatic, but then they lose the reality of it.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 09-17-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido

What about the students who realize that they've gotten in over their heads, and want to flee?

Student: Sensei, I'm just not ready for this. I want to go home.
Sensei: Too bad. You're testing anyway.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

can we call it hells - dojo??

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:18 AM   #6
dyffcult
United_States

Oh yeah! That is almost perfect!
Old 09-21-2005, 08:28 AM   #7
jk

Didn't they do something almost like that before? I think it was British show named "Fight School," shown in 2004. All I remember was the ridiculous outfit they made the "Grandmaster" wear...I bet he still can't live that down.

Hell, why be an uchideshi when you can take a training vacation in Phuket:

http://www.mmaphuket.com/

Of interest to some would be the last item in the FAQ section. Boys will be boys.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:34 AM   #8
Yossi
Israel

It's been done. Not exactly as you put it, but a similiar thing, where every episode two studets fight, and whoever loses is eliminated.