Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-07-2004, 06:35 PM   #26
Rich Stephens
I'm 6'0" and about 150lbs. So the weight isn't a problem but the height sure made for some interesting and difficult pairings in Japan, regardless of which role I was in. When starting I was first paired with the other lower kyus which usually meant younger, smaller, high school kids and it was often a bit comedic and difficult for me to do things properly! It was hard to get down to their level.

One reason I chose Aikido over Judo is the relative high center of gravity I have compared to most people. I thought it would be a disadvantage in judo. Since I found Aikido to be such a good match for me philosophically/spiritually, I'm glad I had that perception. But I wonder if it was correct though? What do you guys think? Is aikido better for tall thin folks than judo?

-Rich
Old 01-07-2004, 07:16 PM   #27
paw
Rich,
Quote:
What do you guys think? Is aikido better for tall thin folks than judo?
Better for what?

Regards,

Paul
Old 01-08-2004, 02:48 AM   #28
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Paul, I'd presume he's wondering whether there's a relationship between body type and the ma you're best suited to.

Rich, my opinion no, it'll depend on how well you train in your chosen art. Your body will almost always define the limits of what you can do with any particular technique within that art, but I'm not aware of any special benefits of body type other than big+strong > small+weak.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:28 AM   #29
indomaresa
Dojo: Aiki Kenkyukai
aikido is good for any size, everyone starts with a handicap ( weight, height, gender, etc )

but handicaps gradually disappears if you keep training.

'size matters not'

The road is long...
The path is steep...
So hire a guide to show you the shortcuts
Old 01-08-2004, 12:21 PM   #30
Atomicpenguin
I'm 6'4" and I've been doing this art for about seven and a half years. I know and have known quite a few other tall people in Aikido. Often I find that if someone who is instructing is significantly shorter than myself, I have to adapt certain techniques to fit my body. But the core principles are always the same. Incidently, I have some friends in Albuquerque that have a dojo you may consider. One of the two instructors is about as tall as myself. http://www.albuquerqueaikido.com/
Old 01-08-2004, 11:22 PM   #31
Daniel Mills

Dojo: Kokyu Aikido Association.
6'1" 350lbs (was 400lbs when I started Aikido in April of last year )

Quiet ukemi? Not really, but.. someone 6ft or over 300lbs isn't really going to be sneaky up on someone or trying to keep quiet. Or so I like to tell myself
Old 01-09-2004, 09:30 AM   #32
aikido_fudoshin
I'm 6'6" and have trained in Aikido for a couple of years now. People always ask me why I take Aikido since my longer limbs would be better suited for another MA such as karate or any other striking MA. The fact of the matter was that I wanted to do Aikido. It is the MA that I'm most interested in and I'm glad that I have been able to stick with it. In the long run you may notice that certain techniques will require slight modification due to size differences, but for the most part it is all the same. If Aikido is what you want to do then do it. It is effective no matter what your body size may be.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:09 PM   #33
Rich Stephens
Quote:
paul watt (paw) wrote:
Rich,

Better for what?

Regards,

Paul
Well, like I've said, I find Aikido great for me on many levels and I'm not going to suddenly take up something else instead. But I was asking purely about the ease or effectiveness of technique in regard to its use as actual defense (and not as simply a means to personal development).

In that regard, I see no reason why there shouldn't be some arts that are more suited to different body heights and weights. Some martial arts may have techniques that are more difficult to do if one's likely opponent is 6" shorter than they are, or 6" taller for that matter. So I was wondering whether the techniques of Aikido or Judo would be a better fit for taller people or people with high centers of gravity.

I realize any size can do any martial art (just as anyone can play basketball) but that one might be easier than another depending on one's body size.

-Rich

Last edited by Rich Stephens : 01-09-2004 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:45 AM   #34
paw
Rich,

My views on this matter are heretical...you have been warned.
Quote:
But I was asking purely about the ease or effectiveness of technique in regard to its use as actual defense (and not as simply a means to personal development).
IMO, self-defense is the result of the training method, not the martial art/martial style.
Quote:
So I was wondering whether the techniques of Aikido or Judo would be a better fit for taller people or people with high centers of gravity.
IMO, Ian was dead on with his previous answer where he wrote: Your body will almost always define the limits of what you can do with any particular technique within that art, but I'm not aware of any special benefits of body type other than big+strong > small+weak.

Regards,

Paul
Old 01-10-2004, 06:05 AM   #35
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Makes for another intersting topic; I'm a-thinking.

We all know there's a whole lot of mythology - urban or otherwise - regarding the Martial Arts; while reading this thread, I've started to wonder a little bit about how much size really does matter in regards to the Arts. (Not real-life; my previous post stands on that score. )

By that I mean; 'Small guys are better at Judo; big guys are better for Boxing'; that sort of thing.

I know of some superb practicioners of their separate arts who don't fit the established mold; the Judo teacher in our building is a boulder with arms that makes me look tiny; and I know a few five-foot-nuthin' boxers that totally shred their opponents in the ring. But are they exceptions who overcome the natural obstacles, or is there in fact no real body type that favours a given art?

IOW; is size/build really when you get right down to it a factor for the arts, or simply an accepted mythology?

(Cue hippie music while we all reflect.... hee hee)

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:06 PM   #36
paw
Dave,

First see my previous disclaimer....
Quote:
IOW; is size/build really when you get right down to it a factor for the arts, or simply an accepted mythology?
All martial arts/martial sports were developed for use by people, and there are only so many ways anyone can move. Off hand, I couldn't think of one martial art/martial sport where a specific build is completely advantageous. (The only exception I can think of might be sumo...but I'm not too familiar with sumo and defer to others)

That is not to say that some martial arts/martial sports are not strongly attribute driven. In general empty hand arts seem to require more physical ability than weapon based arts, since weapons increase the potential for damage and reduce the need for strength.

Looking at further at martial sports....

The "sportive" people will tell you that within a given weight class, it is advantageous to not only have the best technique and the most experience, but to be more athletic than your opponent. This means faster, better endurance, better sense of balance, more durable (able to withstand impact), stronger, and yes, "bigger". In particular, "bigger" matters so much that athletes in competitive sports will often diet down to make a weight class (a process referred to as "cutting" weight) and then rehydrate so they may actually exceed the weight limit at the time of the actual competition.

But outside of weight classes, given the same (roughly) technique and experience, bigger athletes are considerably more likely to "win" over smaller athletes. In essence, Ian's supposition is nearly universal among combative sports: big + strong > small + weak.

But I digressed.....

Regards,

Paul