Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-30-2003, 02:07 PM   #1
vanstretch
Dojo: Kyushinkan
United_States
4 the kyus only

any kyus have probs with a dan who just became, then changed his tune by becomming an instant know-it-all,or pretentious, arrogant or just more so, now that he/she got to that next level? I just would be very interested in the kyu ranks only responding here, since they(YOU) are truly who keep our aikido real and in check. thank kyu for your insights.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
shihonage
United_States
I have not noticed sudden and profound changes in personality with rank.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:43 PM   #3
Eric Joyce
Dojo: Budoshingikan
United_States
Re: 4 the kyus only

Quote:
daniel vanhee (vanstretch) wrote:
any kyus have probs with a dan who just became, then changed his tune by becomming an instant know-it-all,or pretentious, arrogant or just more so, now that he/she got to that next level? I just would be very interested in the kyu ranks only responding here, since they(YOU) are truly who keep our aikido real and in check. thank kyu for your insights.
I have noticed it. I think more people need to be realistic and realize that they are still learning. As one teacher told me, at black belt...you are just starting to learn. Sorry to hear your fellow aikidoka turned omnipotent.

Eric Joyce
Otake Han Doshin Ryu Jujutsu
Old 12-30-2003, 03:10 PM   #4
Janet Rosen

I've seen it both ways: some folks seem to get a profound sense of "holy s...! I'm supposed to know something now and all I have is questions and crappy technique!" and some folks seem to think they are now shihan....fortunately most folks I've seen go to neither extreme.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-30-2003, 03:28 PM   #5
vanstretch
Dojo: Kyushinkan
United_States
thanks so far all, yes I have seen a little of both and now that I am a newbie dan,knowing new kyu's are watching, I definitely don't want to be like those who have acted that way. and yes we are all beginners, that is the right attitude!! I will always remember my 1st CSM in the army and the way he never flaunted his power. as a cop I hate to see other officers do it with their powers, and the same with the dans. and I am only saying that the few times I am aware of this energy in the dojo, it makes me mad and I have trouble with them, yet confrontation seems futile but I wish they would be brought down a notch or two. understand?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:22 PM   #6
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
~~Sometimes I see it, but I refer to it as 'Baby Black Belt Syndrome' and they usually grow out of it soon(ish). Very annoying during the time of their transition, but they teach we kyu ranks patience and insight into how we don't wish to be during our transition

~~Paula~~
Old 12-30-2003, 10:40 PM   #7
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States
It has been often stated that Aikido training begins at the shodan level.

Ryan
Old 12-31-2003, 01:29 AM   #8
johanlook
I see it all the time especially at seminars. Sometimes they don't seem to grow out of it. Some of them never seem to have it.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:28 AM   #9
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
I haven't had the pleasure of this experience, but I have seen it from the kyu ranks themselves. I was even guilty of this...

After going from white belt to next rank (for those systems with colored kyu belt ranking), whenever a new white belt comes along, the person one or two steps up thinks they can "teach" during practice. Having just achieved that rank, they/we feel compelled to impart our "knowledge" to the poor unsuspecting white belts and enlighten them on what sensei wants. Unfortunatly, they/we are wrong in the attempt and SENSEI notices this... points out the imperfections being "taught" and proceeds to re-educate both parties on just what needs to happen.

Now approaching 4th kyu, I've learned to keep my mouth shut (as much as possible) and call over sensei to ask for his analysis rather than open my big mouth. If I THINK I know what I'm talking about, I'll address it in the form of a question directed to sensei and not as a statement to the class.

But getting back to the subject at hand, becoming a black belt should be good standing point to ASSISTING in instruction. Ego should always be checked at the door, regardless of rank.

2 cents...

Old 12-31-2003, 02:36 PM   #10
Dyusan
Dojo: Shoshikan
Cool

Daniel, this is quite common in some dojos. It is a reflection of the way the instructor runs the school. The best advice is to smile and say thank you then move on.

Gary Chase
Old 01-01-2004, 08:05 PM   #11
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
After going from white belt to next rank (for those systems with colored kyu belt ranking), whenever a new white belt comes along, the person one or two steps up thinks they can "teach" during practice. Having just achieved that rank, they/we feel compelled to impart our "knowledge" to the poor unsuspecting white belts and enlighten them on what sensei wants. Unfortunatly, they/we are wrong in the attempt and SENSEI notices this... points out the imperfections being "taught" and proceeds to re-educate both parties on just what needs to happen.
This is how things are run in our dojo. Everyone shares what they know. The instructor will listen in and if what was shared is ok he'll let it stand, if it needed correction he'll make it. Teaching is treated just like techniques. It's a learned skill. You have to be able to practice it under the eye of someone more experienced so they can correct you when something's not right. We tend to start this very early in our practice.

As a new instructor this is something I find I need to work on. I have students who are more than capable of passing down the basics to new students, if I give them the chance. I have been working on first listening to what the senior students are saying before I barge in with my advice. They are the ones who have been working with the new person and actually feeling what needs to be corrected.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-02-2004, 07:11 AM   #12
Kevin Masters
Dojo: Woodstock Aikido
United_States
I could see how it would happen.

I just haven't experienced it myself. Our NewDans are all pretty well behaved. I've had about 3 of my sempai grade up to the fancy black pants in the year and a half I've been training.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:55 PM   #13
aoerstroem
Dojo: Renshin Aikido Dojo, Copenhagen, Denmark
Denmark
In our dojo we had a student graduate to shodan this may, but he has not shown any of the symptoms you describe.

He has always been helpful and polite, and as one of the senior students he is used to sharing his knowledge when sensei isn't available.

This has fortunately not changed after his graduation.

I have learned a lot from him, and I think it's great that there are some that can help you towards better ukemi and give you small pointers along the way.