Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-01-2004, 08:24 PM   #26
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Just to chime in once again.

Both Judo and for instance Shodokan Aikido randori is not real fighting (neither is BJJ, UFC or whatever) but they come closer than kata training only. More importantly they develope attributes that are important in their own right in addition to testing your [insert chosen art] under trying circumstance.

If you can't have that in Aikido I think it is vitally important to continue taking Judo. The lessons learnt in Judo randori are directly applicable to Aikido, and yes I do mean direct not indirect.

I started Judo because quite frankly my Shodokan Aikido sucked. However when I was in Honbu I tended to concentrate on the kata I needed to learn. Judo gave me more randori time and since I was quite far away from Honbu - more Budo time. It was not a mistake with the end result being that my horizons are expanded and my Aikido is far better.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-01-2004, 09:13 PM   #27
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Hmmm, a quick Google search turned up Judo Contacts in Canada. They have it broken down by province and territory, with seven contacts in Montreal. If there is truly no judo around you how about starting some. If you've been at it for 8 years you might be able to start a little club if there is nothing around.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-01-2004, 10:07 PM   #28
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Quote:
mark johnston (mj) wrote:
I know you meant no offense there Craig, but I wonder whether it is based on knowledge of both Judo and Aikido training, or if it is only your opinion?
Yes, I have trained in Judo. Played with Judoka competitively. Taken classes from teachers with decades experience in both arts etc.

I am not really sure that is terribly relevant to what I said. It's all only my opinion and I just strongly disagreed with what you said in that post and tried to offer another viewpoint. Nothing personal intended.

Craig
Old 01-02-2004, 02:39 AM   #29
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
Hi Eric,

there are some links to some Judo clubs in Montreal here:

http://www.judoinfo.com/clubcan.htm

and here:

http://listingsca.com/Quebec/Montrea...ation/Martial/

if you do decide to try aikido out I am sure you will enjoy it. From what I have found the most important skills you will bring with you from judo into aikido is a sense of confidence about yourself and also ukemi.

if you forget everything else for a little while and try not to make comparisons in the beggining then everything will run very smoothly.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:28 PM   #30
smith
WOW... Thanks so much, everyone. I signed up here just to ask this questions. But the quality of oppinions has been amazing. Thanks so much for the advice and links. I'm very impressed. I think I might stay around to participate myself.

As for my plans... Once i read all of your comments over a few more times and get back into sync at school i will definited let you know what happens. I am so happy to be thinking about this stuff again after so long.

Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:56 PM   #31
smith
Just reading this....

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
Make sure to take it easy on the Aikidoka. I got very enthusiatic when I started taking Judo and dumped a few people on their heads by accident, I still feel bad about it almost a year later.
I hear what your saying. I started studing Judo when i was pretty young. My club was large at the time. About 40 kids age 10-13. By the time i was 17 i diden't have anyone may age/size to train with so for the last three years i trained only with the teachers. I though had everything under control.

One night i was doing a little randori with my teacher and tried soto makikomi (outside wrap trow, maybe you know it). I diden't control as much as i could have, he put down his arm to block and broke his elbow.

i felt really bad, i was 17 he was 35.

Ends up i broke my shoulder two weeks later.

Circle of life i guess. That's actually when i stoped training. After a year and a half out it was hard to go back, my whole life had changed.

I guess since i'm getting so excited about all this it mean its time to go back.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:12 AM   #32
AsimHanif
There is also the option of possibly finding something like Tomiki style aikido where there is competition.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:20 AM   #33
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Asim Hanif (AsimHanif) wrote:
There is also the option of possibly finding something like Tomiki style aikido where there is competition.
Shodokan would certainly fit in well with judo. (As I think Peter R. already covered.)
Unfortunately, as Peter also mentioned, there's next to no chance of finding a Shodokan dojo in or around Montreal.

Sean
x