Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Family Guy...no class whatsoever

I can hardly believe I agree with Sarah Palin on something, but I've always thought The Family Guy was low brow and disgusting. It tries to surpass The Simpsons, but it's just witless. At least The Simpsons has good writing and some creativity. The Family Guy is just sensationalist and crude because of lack of creativity.

Seth McFarlane: I don't care how much money he has. He's a loser. Like Dick Cheney. And Sarah Palin.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 02-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Jeremy Hulley
Dojo: Seattle School of Aikido Shinto Ryu/Seattle Icho Ryu
Re: Family Guy...no class whatsoever

I used to really like it but it lost me at the rape jokes and implied rape...

Jeremy Hulley
Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu
Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club

Old 02-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Lulu

Dojo: Whittier Aikikai
United_States

I haven't seen the show in a while, but as I remember - it is an equal opportunity offender.

My question is.... what does this have to do with Aikido?

Or even Martial Arts in general?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Lisa Donner wrote: View Post
My question is.... what does this have to do with Aikido?

Or even Martial Arts in general?
No more and no less than anything else that shows up on the Open Discussions forum.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
I can hardly believe I agree with Sarah Palin on something, but I've always thought The Family Guy was low brow and disgusting. It tries to surpass The Simpsons, but it's just witless. At least The Simpsons has good writing and some creativity. The Family Guy is just sensationalist and crude because of lack of creativity.

Seth McFarlane: I don't care how much money he has. He's a loser. Like Dick Cheney. And Sarah Palin.

David
Have you seen the Southpark episode where they lampoon Family Guy? In it they show the creative process of the Family Guy writers as being a giant water tank with manatees swimming around randomly grabbing balls with words on them. Those random sets of words then form the various scenes of the show.
There's an interesting relationship between comedy and the profane and the nature of the joke completely changes for me based upon what I believe about the intent of the comedian. If the Family Guy folks thought rape or human trafficking or Hitler were good things, I would have a different view of the show entirely. As it is though, I enjoy the show most of the time and I wonder if Palin would have complained as loudly if she wasn't directly referenced.

Gambarimashyo!

Old 02-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
John Connolly
Dojo: NYC Icho Ryu
United_States

I'm with Jeremy. It has great moments, and started well, but the show's love of rape humor is pretty saddening. What's the count now, 3 or 4 rape jokes per show? Is this really funny? Feel free to laugh. I'm changing the channel.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Have you seen the Southpark episode where they lampoon Family Guy? In it they show the creative process of the Family Guy writers as being a giant water tank with manatees swimming around randomly grabbing balls with words on them. Those random sets of words then form the various scenes of the show. ...As it is though, I enjoy the show most of the time and I wonder if Palin would have complained as loudly if she wasn't directly referenced.
I sometimes like the dog, but the show in general disgusts me too much to watch it. I think the only times I've seen it was when it followed a show I was watching and I became too involved in something else, like reading, to change the channel and I caught moments of the dog.

The Simpsons is sometimes like dog food. The Family Guy is like dog food after the dog has finished with it...

I never found it redeemable. If they'd made a different kind of joke, like, instead of "my mother was Gov. of Alaska," saying, "I want to be Gov. of Alaska, like my hero, Sarah Palin," that might be mildly funny. But the show isn't worth watching, for me.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
Boris Spassky

United_States

Quote:
He's a loser. Like Dick Cheney. And Sarah Palin.
David
Pretty harsh words...A vice president and a governor, losers?

I assume though that you are NOT a loser? Please explain..

Old 02-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
James Gibson wrote: View Post
Sounds like you're not the type to keep up with current events.

Let's just say their behavior of late has pegged them both so.

You betcha, by golly.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 02-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #10
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:

I assume though that you are NOT a loser? Please explain..
While I agree it doesn't do much justice in applying labels to people, this also goes with the perceptions we have towards people who are in "better" situations that we may find ourselves in.

i.e., place in a social structure, etc. do not equate intelligence.
Reminds me of something Eckhart said which basically goes, "intelligence thinks of the greater whole, while cleverness only looks at its own end goal and thus in the end fails."

Ive seen the above personally in the job place with people at the top... what seemed unstoppable came to an abrupt halt and their whole kingdoms came down over night as it was ego-centric.

So, keeping in mind this, just because someone may have a label of power doesent make them any more intelligent than a cockroach... sometimes circumstances along with the ego driven goal of rolling over everyone in your way gets you, temporarily where you want to go.

As for family guy, never watched it, have seen bits in advertisements, what-not, and have no desire to even watch one episode... feel I would fall over from boredom.

On the other hand I feel Futurerama is an excellent cartoon, better than the Simpsons. [which I doubt many would agree with.]

So its all down to taste I suppose.

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com

Old 02-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #11
David Orange
United_States

Nice reply, Dalen. I'm going to start paying more attention to your posts.

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
..place in a social structure, etc. do not equate intelligence.
Reminds me of something Eckhart said which basically goes, "intelligence thinks of the greater whole, while cleverness only looks at its own end goal and thus in the end fails."
Very nicely stated.

Quote:
Ive seen the above personally in the job place with people at the top... what seemed unstoppable came to an abrupt halt and their whole kingdoms came down over night as it was ego-centric.
Like Palin just bailin' on the State she loved so gosh-darn much, by golly. Just quit like a quitter and then "went rogue," after using the word "rogue" to describe only the lowest of the low. She always used it to mean "loose cannon, out of control, going against the best intersts of the whole," when describing people she didn't like...and then she applied it to....herself....

Unbelievable????

No. I'd say Freudian Correctness!

And Cheney! After the Underwear Bomber started telling everything he knew, Cheney says "They shoulda water-boarded him!" Torture for torture's sake! I see, anyway, that I don't have to explain to you why I see him as a huge, fat loser! He's attacking the current administration in ways that he would have called sedition if they'd been applied to his admin.

Quote:
So, keeping in mind this, just because someone may have a label of power doesent make them any more intelligent than a cockroach... sometimes circumstances along with the ego driven goal of rolling over everyone in your way gets you, temporarily where you want to go.
Justice grinds so slowly because the guilty really deserve a very slow grinding.

Quote:
As for family guy, never watched it, have seen bits in advertisements, what-not, and have no desire to even watch one episode... feel I would fall over from boredom.
There was a scene where the lead character fought a large chicken. It was very violent and bloody and it just went on and on and on. Boring, but very, very sick-minded.

Quote:
On the other hand I feel Futurerama is an excellent cartoon, better than the Simpsons. [which I doubt many would agree with.]
Futurama was very good but I still like the Simpsons better. My Name is Earl was one of my favorites (Zen tales set with white trash (and Crab Man, who, though a genius, found a real affinity with the white trash...). And The Office. Excellent stuff.

Thanks for the insights.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
Boris Spassky

United_States

David Orange- Please do not presuppose ANYTHING about me. You have no idea as to who I am or to what level I follow or do not follow politics.

Freudian correctness?

Sedition?

WOW...You clearly are an expert here, I will just back away slowly....take it easy boy, take it easy---

Still looking for authentic Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu!

Old 02-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
David Orange- Please do not presuppose ANYTHING about me. You have no idea as to who I am or to what level I follow or do not follow politics.
You come into a room with no pants on, I'm allowed to make certain inferences. Come in not knowing why Sarah Palin and Dick Cheny are full-bore losers, you can't avoid similar inferences being drawn.

Quote:
Freudian correctness?
Every time Sarah Palin used the term "rogue" (to describe her former brother in law, the man she tried to intimidate into firing that in-law, or any other person she didn't like), she used it correctly, according to its dictionary definition: 1 : vagrant, tramp; 2 : a dishonest or worthless person : scoundrel; 3 : a mischievous person : scamp; 4 : a horse inclined to shirk or misbehave; 5 : an individual exhibiting a chance and usually inferior biological variation.

And then she called herself a rogue in her best-selling book, "Going Rogue." And I think the same definitions fully apply to her.

Why would she use such a derogatory term to describe herself?

It's because she knows subconsciously (but surely not consciously) that the word fully describes her history of back-stabbin, back-biting and betrayal of everyone who has ever helped her, John McCain being only the most recent. "Sarah Barracuda" was a nickname she earned through that very behavior. It doesn't mean "eager beaver". Like "pit bull," it means "vicious".

So since Sarah does not consciously recognize herself as a vicious rogue, her use must, again, be a type of "Freudian slip."

Get it, this time?

Quote:
Sedition?
If anyone had made the kinds of comments during Bush's administration that Cheney made about Obama, Cheney, himself would have described them as sedition. Which makes him Palinesque. All he needs to do now is write a book titled "Going Terrorist" or "Going Taliban" and the analogy will be fulfilled. Of course, some Republicans have already vowed to "go Taliban" against Obama, again showing "Freudian correctness."

Quote:
WOW...You clearly are an expert here, I will just back away slowly....take it easy boy, take it easy---
Since you came in backward, you should just "walk" away slowly, boy.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 02-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #14
Boris Spassky

United_States

One thing is for certain, I REALLY do not like you...You are being condescending at every opportunity.

Not knowing? Negative, I have my own opinion that happens to not agree with yours. Deal wih it-

I would not have guessed I would run into this in an Aikido forum but SURPRISE!

Old 02-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
One thing is for certain, I REALLY do not like you...You are being condescending at every opportunity.
Unlike yourself?

Quote:
Not knowing? Negative, I have my own opinion that happens to not agree with yours. Deal wih it-
I have compassion for it. I don't mind the ignorant unless they use their ignorance to stir up hate, like Palin. I don't mind hateful people unless they use their hate to claw their way to power. And I don't mind people who don't like me. Not everyone will. But I'm just a mirror, bud. Don't like what the mirror shows you? Not the mirror's problem.

Quote:
I would not have guessed I would run into this in an Aikido forum but SURPRISE!
Again. You must not have been around very long.

Anyway, you'll find that the nastiness is usually passed as gossip in Private Messages between people who behave with superficial "decorum" and "politeness" when it can be seen by all. I think that's worse than showing your true colors at all times.

Palin's a rogue, Cheney's a sneering rabble-rouser and I just call 'em as I see 'em. Deal with it.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 02-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #16
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
Genghis Khan
BTW...nice tag line. Where's Genghis now?

Oh, yeah. He finally had to face God.

So mete your punishment now in God's name and God will tally your account in all good time.

Best to you.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 02-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Best to you.
Wow. After the way you just harshed on him? You broke my irony meter. Now might be a good time to just walk away from this, for all concerned -- just a suggestion.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #18
Boris Spassky

United_States

Final Score: 37-0

David Orange wins!

Attacking my signature line? LOL

As an aside, I just went from really not liking you to actually being concerned for your mental health.

Warmly,
James

Old 02-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #19
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Wow. After the way you just harshed on him? You broke my irony meter. Now might be a good time to just walk away from this, for all concerned -- just a suggestion.
It's meant to be ironic. Anyone who claims to be "the punishment of God" can use it. It means "Good luck with all that."

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 02-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #20
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Attacking my signature line? LOL
Not at all. I find it funny from someone who thinks political discussion on an aikido board is out of place. Sounds like you don't even know what your own true colors are.

Quote:
...I just went from really not liking you to actually being concerned for your mental health.
I'm not the one who thinks himself "the punishment of God." Since you list your occupation as "Army," it sounds like you actually put that idea to practice (or want to)....so whose mental health should be questioned?

Good luck with all that.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 02-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #21
lbb
United_States

Quote:
It's meant to be ironic. Anyone who claims to be "the punishment of God" can use it. It means "Good luck with all that."
Um...David? He was quoting someone else.

Over and out,

Last edited by lbb : 02-21-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #22
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Um...David? He was quoting someone else.
Exactly. We quote whom we admire and that which we want to be.

We need the Army but we don't need people who believe themselves "the punishment of God."

And is that in any way consistent with Ueshiba's values?

Or George Washington's?

I don't get the feeling it's consistent with Kevin Leavitt's values and I think he's a Major in the US Army.

Of course, all that's just a diversion from the topic. At best, it's a trail-off from the idea that Sarah Palin only protests when the joke is aimed at her. As when she excoriated Rahm Emmanuel's "retard" comment but then excused Rush Limbaugh for much more serious use of the same word.

Have a good trip.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com

Old 02-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #23
akiy

Threads like this really do make me consider requesting there be no political discussion on AikiWeb. I don't think I've ever witnessed any political discussions that have maintained the level of discussion that I want to have hosted here on this website.

With that said -- thread closed.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Closed Thread