Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #26
Joe McParland

Dojo: Sword Mountain Aikido & Zen
United_States
Re: No, thank you.

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote: View Post
[...] since reflecting further on your post, and the answers supplied (except Joe, brunotex and Paul - those were just way too honest) [...]
Which is the more compassionate, "irimi" or "tenkan"?

Old 07-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #27
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Joe McParland wrote: View Post
ato,ato,ato!!!!

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 07-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #28
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Quote:
Neither....kuzushi!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #29
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: Having trouble sticking with training...any thoughts?

Onegaishimasu. Irimi and tenkan are two sides. They work together. You can also look at them like the left and right foot when walking.

In gassho

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 07-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #30
Joe McParland

United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
ato,ato,ato!!!!
Bowing to the One who Understands

Old 07-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #31
Joe McParland

United_States

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote: View Post
Neither....kuzushi!
But to the ones who said "Quit!" those were good kuzushi

Old 07-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #32
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Bowing to the One who Understands
Thanks. That's what my friends call me .
Anyhow, it was your funny joke that got it going!!!!!!Bueno, O' Gospacho.

I enjoyed your blog site!

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 07-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #33
Nick P.

Yeah, those have a nice ring to them...
"I'm gonna open a can of compasionate-a$$ on you."

Old 07-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #34
Nick P.

Quote:
But to the ones who said "Quit!" those were good kuzushi
I dunno, I think those were more verbal atemis.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:52 PM   #35
joncaleb

Dojo: MCBH Camp H. M. Smith, HI
United_States

In middle-school I decided I wanted to play the saxophone. So I told my parents, "Mom; Dad, I want to play the saxophone." So they bought me a saxophone. When I first started, it was the greatest thing ever. I had fast, nimble fingers and picked up on it really well. I even earned second chair! However, at about 2 months, my progress and learning curve had slowed drastically. I wanted to quit, so again, I went and told my parents. My father, in all his infinite wisdom, told me no. He told me that I could only quit after I had finished the season - another 3 months out! So I stuck it out - and I loved it! My father had made the decision for me and it was the right one.

You don't have your father over you to make that decision for you. But stick it out for 3 or 4 months and then make your decision. You may find that because your learning curve has slowed after 30 days and the routine has become monotonous that you have lost your enjoyment in it. But at 3 months your learning curve will increase again and you will re-find what you thought you had lost.

Just a thought...

J.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #36
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Quitting and deciding to stop are two different things. The individual making the choice is usually the only one that knows the difference.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 07-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #37
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Jonathan Hall wrote: View Post
In middle-school I decided I wanted to play the saxophone. So I told my parents, "Mom; Dad, I want to play the saxophone." So they bought me a saxophone. When I first started, it was the greatest thing ever. I had fast, nimble fingers and picked up on it really well. I even earned second chair! However, at about 2 months, my progress and learning curve had slowed drastically. I wanted to quit, so again, I went and told my parents. My father, in all his infinite wisdom, told me no. He told me that I could only quit after I had finished the season - another 3 months out! So I stuck it out - and I loved it! My father had made the decision for me and it was the right one.

You don't have your father over you to make that decision for you. But stick it out for 3 or 4 months and then make your decision. You may find that because your learning curve has slowed after 30 days and the routine has become monotonous that you have lost your enjoyment in it. But at 3 months your learning curve will increase again and you will re-find what you thought you had lost.

Just a thought...

J.
I agree, I have hit a few times in judo when I wanted to quit because I had stagnated. It wasn't that I wasn't having fun, it was that I was not improving. This made me think "what is the point of training if I'm not improving.". It wasn't that I was not improving, just that it was slower and learning the more advanced stuff was harder. Thanks to my friends who kept pushing me to go with them, I stuck it out and broke past those humps. I'm having more fun now then ever.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 07-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #38
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
I agree, I have hit a few times in judo when I wanted to quit because I had stagnated. It wasn't that I wasn't having fun, it was that I was not improving. This made me think "what is the point of training if I'm not improving.". It wasn't that I was not improving, just that it was slower and learning the more advanced stuff was harder. Thanks to my friends who kept pushing me to go with them, I stuck it out and broke past those humps. I'm having more fun now then ever.
Thanks Don.Great Post. I don't know any dedicated Martial Artist who has not gone through this part of the learning "process" myself included.

William Hazen

PS. Firefox 3's little spellchecker tools ROCK. LOL
Old 07-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #39
Suru
United_States
Lightbulb Re: Having trouble sticking with training...any thoughts?

I have had a love affair with Aikido since day one, back in Jan 1999. I long to continue training, but the side effects of my bipolar drugs (poisons) have been increasing with raised doses over time. Since you're looking for something physical and spiritual simultaneously, you hit the jackpot with Aikido, working from the foundation that you have a sensei and fellow aikidoka with positive attitudes. My side effects include dizziness, lack of ability to focus, exhaustion, and rapid dehydration (profuse sweating). It is impossible for me to "train with a spirit of joy" while on these meds. I believe someday I'll be on a kinder regimen as further developments are made, but until then I will only be able to train sporadically. If I was not so hindered, my ass would be in every class.

Drew
Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 AM   #40
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Drew Gardner wrote: View Post
It is impossible for me to "train with a spirit of joy" while on these meds. I believe someday I'll be on a kinder regimen as further developments are made, but until then I will only be able to train sporadically. If I was not so hindered, my ass would be in every class.
IMHO, the spirit of wisdom is as important as the spirit of joy.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-14-2008, 05:21 AM   #41
lifeafter2am
Dojo: Shindai Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Drew Gardner wrote: View Post
I have had a love affair with Aikido since day one, back in Jan 1999. I long to continue training, but the side effects of my bipolar drugs (poisons) have been increasing with raised doses over time. Since you're looking for something physical and spiritual simultaneously, you hit the jackpot with Aikido, working from the foundation that you have a sensei and fellow aikidoka with positive attitudes. My side effects include dizziness, lack of ability to focus, exhaustion, and rapid dehydration (profuse sweating). It is impossible for me to "train with a spirit of joy" while on these meds. I believe someday I'll be on a kinder regimen as further developments are made, but until then I will only be able to train sporadically. If I was not so hindered, my ass would be in every class.

Drew
This is one area where the medication certainly has not made as much progress as we have hoped it would. This and with some of the psychotic disorders (schizophrenia, schizotypal, etc.). I, too, hope to see some better medications soon, as I have a few friends who take the current meds with numerous side effects.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhattha Gotama Buddha
Old 07-14-2008, 05:32 AM   #42
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
Thanks Don.Great Post. I don't know any dedicated Martial Artist who has not gone through this part of the learning "process" myself included.

William Hazen

PS. Firefox 3's little spellchecker tools ROCK. LOL
That's what I get when I post from the couch watching tv and exhausted from crossfit workouts.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 07-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #43
Suru
United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
IMHO, the spirit of wisdom is as important as the spirit of joy.
Yes, but with the former and not the latter, Aikido is not pleasant. When I started out (on lower doses), it was pleasant. As I'm sure you know, it is abnormal human psychology to do something that is unpleasant, unless you must to put rice on the table.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #44
Bryan Sproles
Dojo: NOLA Aikido
United_States

Training should always be FUN - if you don't want to be there mentally, then maybe it's just not the right thing for you to do.

When I was doing JuJitsu, I started 2x per week at my college (that's where I met my sensei), and later on he invited me to train at the dojo as well. For about 6 weeks or so, I was going to the 2 college sessions *and* the 3 days a week at the dojo.

Yes, that's a heck of a lot of training, yes it took its toll on me (I ended up hurting my shoulder and had to sit out for nearly 2 months), but was it FUN? You bet

There were lots of times during that period that I was saying "Geez, I just went to train yesterday, now I gotta train today too??" (Of course I didn't have to, but as soon as my brain got past that, and I was driving to the dojo, I knew it would be ok.)

There were other times where I'd have an awesome time at class one night and the next day I'd say, "I just went to class last night, I can't wait to find out what I'm gonna learn tonight!"

It's all in your mind - if you enjoy what you're doing, you'll find a way to get there. If you don't enjoy it....REALLY don't enjoy it, then don't waste your time.

-Bryan