Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-02-2004, 11:44 PM   #1
Sita Nanthavong

United_States
Anyone have good book suggestions on

Anyone have good book suggestions on "ki"?

I have to eventually write a paper on "ki" and want to get a head start on it.

Thanks!!
Old 12-03-2004, 12:23 AM   #2
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
Re: Anyone have good book suggestions on

There was this one book by this guy who has an uchi deshi program in Denver, forgot his name. Runs "Domo" restaurant. Wrote "Aikido for Life," or something like that, and a book (maybe it was that one) which was about what living as an uchi deshi was like. I remember reading a section on "ki" in one of his books. In that section, he was like, "What is ki? Can you point to it? If it really exists, then what is its texture, etc?" He then exposed a bunch of common tricks that many aikido teachers apparently say prove the power of ki, giving common sense explanations showing how it was physics, rather than some mysterious, free-floating life-force. He also had a section that was like, "Just as you can't find ki, you can't find mind," or something like that. It was interesting, and had a more common sense approach to things like ki which was refreshing. If I remember the name of the book and author, I'll tell you, unless someone else does first. I'll check the library over the weekend or a little later.

edit: Mitsugi Saotome Sensei's books have some good stuff on ki. Aikido and the Harmony of Nature has lots of complicated stuff (Chapter 10--Ki and Kokyu). I think either the introduction to Aikido and the Harmony of Nature or The Principles of Aikido had a good explanation or theory of what ki was, comparing the Japanese concept of ki to other cultures.'

Last edited by Anders Bjonback : 12-03-2004 at 12:30 AM.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith
Old 12-03-2004, 01:37 AM   #3
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Anders Bjonback wrote:
...this guy who has an uchi deshi program in Denver, forgot his name. Runs "Domo" restaurant.
That would be Gaku Homma.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-03-2004, 05:13 AM   #4
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

If you are writing a paper on ki you'll need more than a good book! I would suggest looking at the chinese origins of the concept (i.e. chi), rather than just what aikidoka have picked up from Japan. I think it's a very adventurous project; maybe you should think of exploring just one small aspect of ki/chi - there are volumes and volumes on ki/chi in the area of health. You probably need an angle e.g. 'is there any proof for the existence of ki?'
Old 12-03-2004, 02:08 PM   #5
Sita Nanthavong

United_States

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
If you are writing a paper on ki you'll need more than a good book! I would suggest looking at the chinese origins of the concept (i.e. chi), rather than just what aikidoka have picked up from Japan. I think it's a very adventurous project; maybe you should think of exploring just one small aspect of ki/chi - there are volumes and volumes on ki/chi in the area of health. You probably need an angle e.g. 'is there any proof for the existence of ki?'
Oh, hehe, I never thought about that. Good point!!

Thank you, and thanks, everyone else so far!!
Old 12-03-2004, 02:15 PM   #6
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Tohei's Book Ki in Everyday life. He really tried to break the concepts down to something that could be understood and taught. This book summarizes his first book The Book of Ki: Coordinating Mind and Body. Both are 'must reads'.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:37 PM   #7
ravered

Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere. First book i got and then i took aikido. Very interesting and tells alot of the philosophy of aikido. As well as technique.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:11 AM   #8
bryce_montgomery

United_States

Ah...you beat me to it Larry...

I have to agree with Ian. You might want to write on one point of ki, being as it's the base for countless volumes of material.

Bryce
Old 12-11-2004, 11:25 AM   #9
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Two others worth considering:
"On Mastering Aikido", Daniel Linden, Linden Tree Press, Orlando, 2004 (ISBN 0-9746459-0-7) and "Aikido Basics", Phong Thong Dang and Lynn Seiser, Tuttle Publishing, Boston, 2003 (ISBN 0-8048-3490-3). I had to order the Linden book from the publisher, but found the Dang/Seiser book at a local Barnes and Noble.

Both offer pretty good discussions on ki with a bent to explain in western terms. Lynn Seiser contributes here frequently too. Narrowing the paper is an excellent idea as well. Good luck with the paper.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 12-11-2004, 11:59 AM   #10
Janet Rosen

From a practical standpoint, Carol Shifflett's book can't be beat http://shop.store.yahoo.com/roundear...naiksamof.html

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-11-2004, 03:29 PM   #11
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Kodansha Intl. publishes a Japanese language book series called Power Japanese. There is a whole volume about ki and how it is variously used in the language. It is only about ten dollars.

Charles Hill