Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
ericgolden

Dojo: none
United_States
Best way to restart Aikido training

Hello All,

It has been awhile since I trained in aikido. I would say I was inactive about 7 - 8 yrs. I reached a 5 kyu rank during the time I trained but the dojo was unaffiliated so my ranking would not be recognized. I can remember a great deal of the etiquettes and techniques(shomen, Irmi, and others). What would be the best path to take when joining a new dojo? Should I explain to the instructor my situation? Or should I start over?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Bob Blackburn
United_States
Re: Best way to restart Aikido training

Tell the instructor you studied a short time years ago. But, I would go in as if you were starting over. I am doing the same thing right now. I was training in other arts and now Aikido again.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
CarrieP

United_States

I'm a little confused by your question. Why would you not tell the instructor your situation? I don't see how that would make a difference.

You would want to just start over and not mention the martial arts experience at all? That doesn't make sense to me. Even if you would not be able to get rank from letting your instructor know about your previous experience, it seems to me it's important that he or she knows about it so you can be taught most effectively.

So, I guess without additional clarification from you on what your thinking is on why you'd not mention your other training, my vote would be definitely tell the instructor, but don't make a huge deal out of it.

Frankly, it's something my dojo asks up front. Sensei's gotta know if there are any bad habits or different ways of doing things we picked up from elsewhere, after all.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Find a suitable dojo, train.
I would not say anything about my previous training unless the instructor asked for it. OTOH: An yudansha starting over in a new dojo but in the same organisation would be a different story.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States

Shannon,
Just get on the mat and try out different dojos, explain your situation, then pick a dojo you like and train.

Larry

Plus Ki
Old 11-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
MikeLogan

United_States

Aside from all of this perfectly fine advice, I would get on the tread-mill / elliptical machine. Get the ticker back up to an athletic level and you will have an easier time regaining any muscle memory you may have left with.

If you remember all the terms for basic throws and movements, and what they "look like", you will be ahead of a flat out beginner and in a good position to make up any lost ground.

BUT, the refined muscle memory can degrade in as little as a few months. Personally, I have limited practice at the moment; soon to change with new (hopefully) job on the horizon. While I still train at least twice a month, at the end of each class I can feel the rust covering all the finer points.

The one thing I am doing is bringing my fitness back to collegiate levels. Having the energy for a vigorous class can only help!

Either way, Good Luck and Enjoy!

michael.

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy
Old 11-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
crbateman

Just go for it... It's not about the rank, anyway, but I'm sure your instructor will deal with it as he/she deems appropriate. Enjoy the ride...
Old 11-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
ericgolden

United_States

Quote:
Mike Logan wrote: View Post
Aside from all of this perfectly fine advice, I would get on the tread-mill / elliptical machine. Get the ticker back up to an athletic level and you will have an easier time regaining any muscle memory you may have left with.

If you remember all the terms for basic throws and movements, and what they "look like", you will be ahead of a flat out beginner and in a good position to make up any lost ground.

BUT, the refined muscle memory can degrade in as little as a few months. Personally, I have limited practice at the moment; soon to change with new (hopefully) job on the horizon. While I still train at least twice a month, at the end of each class I can feel the rust covering all the finer points.

The one thing I am doing is bringing my fitness back to collegiate levels. Having the energy for a vigorous class can only help!

Either way, Good Luck and Enjoy!

michael.
I definitely feel the rust as I know I will have to be reconditioned. I think if I took a ukemi fall right now that I would break into small pieces .
Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
ericgolden

United_States

Quote:
Bob Blackburn wrote: View Post
Tell the instructor you studied a short time years ago. But, I would go in as if you were starting over. I am doing the same thing right now. I was training in other arts and now Aikido again.
Thanks Bob. I too have trained in another art( jujitsu) since practicing aikido. It's been about 6yrs for jujitsu and the muscle memory is still there. Besides getting short of breath, I typically can hold my own. Aikido, on the other hand, has been on my mind for some time. It's a different art than others-there's something mystical about it.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
NagaBaba

Quote:
Shannon Golden wrote: View Post
. Aikido, on the other hand, has been on my mind for some time. It's a different art than others-there's something mystical about it.
In that case may be you should first go to the church, temple or shrine to prepare yourself to the future mystical experience on the tatami?

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo