Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
Jonshez

England
Aikido in Orlando

Hi all
I'm travelling to Orlando in the next few weeks (dates to be confirmed) on business and wondered if anyone could recommend a location to train at while I'm there. I'll be there for a week, two at the most and although I'm very new to aikido, I'd welcome the opportunity to expand my horizons.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Jon

Ai-Ki cannot be exhausted
By words written or spoken.
Without dabbling in idle talk,
Understand through practice.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Aikido in Orlando

Quote:
Jon Sheriff wrote: View Post
Hi all
I'm travelling to Orlando in the next few weeks (dates to be confirmed) on business and wondered if anyone could recommend a location to train at while I'm there. I'll be there for a week, two at the most and although I'm very new to aikido, I'd welcome the opportunity to expand my horizons.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Jon
Hooker Sensei's dojo, Shindai Aikikai is there. Hooker Sensei posts here frequently. I would make that stop a priority.

http://www.shindai.com/home.htm

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-18-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.

You are welcome at the Shindai Dojo

Dennis
www.shindai.com

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 05-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
crbateman

I can suggest Shindai, Shoshin, Kodokai and Suenaka-Ha dojos, if you prefer those with organizational affiliations. There are also numerous independent dojos, if you've got time to look around. Use the dojo search functions here on AikiWeb or on Aikido Journal for best info. Don't rely on the phone book. Consider that there is substantial travel time for some areas from certain others, particularly at rush hour. There are no AAA, USAF or Ki Society dojos in Orlando that I am aware of. I would suggest that you take Hooker Sensei's invitation, and at least begin the adventure there. Enjoy your stay.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
I can suggest Shindai, Shoshin, Kodokai and Suenaka-Ha dojos, if you prefer those with organizational affiliations. There are also numerous independent dojos, if you've got time to look around. Use the dojo search functions here on AikiWeb or on Aikido Journal for best info. Don't rely on the phone book. Consider that there is substantial travel time for some areas from certain others, particularly at rush hour. There are no AAA, USAF or Ki Society dojos in Orlando that I am aware of. I would suggest that you take Hooker Sensei's invitation, and at least begin the adventure there. Enjoy your stay.
There is an affiliate dojo of Oshima Sensei under Eddie Castro (Ki Aikido) good friends and good Aikido. Don't just drop by the Shoshin dojo without calling first. It is on private property and has some restrictions but very good Aikido under my best friend Dan Linder Sensei

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 05-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
Jonshez

England

Thank you Hooker Sensei,
your invitation is very welcome. Not being familiar with the area I have no idea what the journey would be like (when you're used to distances in England, America is always misleading!). I will be working near to Big Sand Lake in 32819 which doesn't look to far away from you.
When I was asked if I could go, the first thing I thought was "I'll miss training!", so knowing I will be able to train and experience the Aiki family internationally is very exciting.
As soon as I have the dates I'll let you know.

Thanks again

Jon

Old 05-18-2007, 01:07 PM   #7
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Post Re: Aikido in Orlando

One of the guys from my club also happens to be in Florida on business next week, also in the same zip as Jon 32819. He asked me today about dojo's for practice and I was thinking about Shindai too. I'll point him to this thread and see what happens, maybe Jon and he are on the same training course and can hook up.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 05-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #8
Jonshez

England

Bryan, I'd have loved to hook up, but I'm not going to be there for at least 4 weeks (waiting for my new passport).
I'm trying to convince my wife that working in Orlando for a week isn't the same as an all-expenses paid trip to Disneyland... so far it isn't working.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:24 PM   #9
crbateman

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote: View Post
There is an affiliate dojo of Oshima Sensei under Eddie Castro (Ki Aikido) good friends and good Aikido. Don't just drop by the Shoshin dojo without calling first. It is on private property and has some restrictions but very good Aikido under my best friend Dan Linder Sensei
Yes, that is the Kodokai Dojo I mentioned above. Ki Society methodology, but neither Oshima nor Castro are still connected to KNK, hence I did not make that inference. Good people, though, to be sure (although I think much less class schedule than yours, Hooker Sensei).
Old 05-19-2007, 06:13 AM   #10
SeiserL

United_States

I will join the crowd, Shindai.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
Jonshez

England

Well I've read Hooker Sensei's articles on the Shindai site and I have to say I'm excited about the opportunity to visit the dojo. The insight is inspiring, I enjoyed the articles very much.

Jon