Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-14-2003, 12:01 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of September 14, 2003:

Has anyone ever injured you seriously and intentionally in your aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:15 PM   #2
BKimpel
Disgust

11 or 12 years ago, in our dojo a visiting black belt (although I don't know if he announced himself as such) was being pretty ruff. He stopped a throw on my buddy short (instead of following through so he could roll out properly) and hammered my friend, shoulder first, into the mat.

Later that evening after practice, my buddy came over to my house to chat, mentioning this guy's bad attitude. When he pulled off his jacket my eyes almost popped out of my head -- his shoulder was hanging around the bicep level. My buddy said, "ya, it really hurts". No kidding - his collarbone was broken. A few weeks later we learned the black belt was from the Ki Society dojo at our local University, and he was out to show people that Ki Society Aikido wasn't just a dance.

Well my buddy had his arm taped to his body for months and couldn't even shower properly let alone do Aikido -- all because someone was out to coddle their ego. While maybe he didn't "intend" to break my buddy's collarbone, he did intend to be ruff and mean and that's what happens when your ruff and mean.

Bruce

Bruce Kimpel
Old 09-14-2003, 10:50 PM   #3
Paul Klembeck
Perhaps the next poll should be has anybody hurt you because they were too deep in their own fantasy of power to take proper care.

I don't think any of the times I have been injured, my partner was thinking about breaking me. However I have been hurt several times with people who were acting out martial arts fantasies, rather than caring for their partner.

Just to be clear, this was in a previous dojo than ASV, so don't blame my current training partners, (or teachers).
Old 09-15-2003, 02:09 AM   #4
David Yap
Malaysia
I am proud to say that my past and present re-curring injuries were due to my past instructors who I agreed were too deep in their martial fantasy to take note of my painful expressions. My injuries are named "ni-kyo" and "san-kyo".

David
Old 09-18-2003, 08:30 AM   #5
Amendes
Not Seriously

I can't recall anyone being ever injured seriously. However I can recall quite a few instances where white belts got in fantasys or tried to test techniques. That sort of thing is not safe.

However seniors at our dojo are very quick to spot that. I had one white belt repeetatldy testing anothers technique stating that it dident work.

I had to show that ikkyo does work.

Once people get over thier egos or "martial arts fantasys" they can become good students though.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:11 AM   #6
antdigoh
when i was promoted from white belt to the next colored belt (purple), my elbow cranked. they all heard the sound, that was my right arm. then during our randori my left shoulder also hurts...ouch! i was an uke then, i have no idea that the person who applied the techique on me is also an aikidoka 'coz i always saw him playing or teaching karate in our dojo. and i was the most thrown person that day. i stopped playing aikido for one year, due to the pain i sustained during that promotion. then i started searching/learning about ki development on my own. am developing and enhancing some techniques as far as i understand the principle of aikido...

anton
Old 09-20-2003, 02:26 PM   #7
Chad Sloman

Dojo: Aikido of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
United_States
Hurt wrist

About three months ago, a senior student gave my right wrist a good sankyo working over. I often make nage cause the most pain to me before tapping out so I don't think he did it on purpose, but he was being just a little too rough. Since then my wrist feels like it's got a pinched nerve or pulled tendon or something and only hurts when I stretch in the sankyo manner. I stretch and pop my wrist everyday hoping that it will be better, but it still hurts bad. Does anybody have any experience with this? Can anybody tell me how long this will take to heal?

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:58 AM   #8
jgros
Dont worry Chad!!

Your wounds will heal, just keep on stretching(gently though! dont break it!).

Although I will tell you right now I am not a medical technician, I have had some serious Aikido injuries(and non Aikido), one actually VERY SIMILAR to yours! ahahhah!

My first injury was non-Aikido related, and happened when I was new at my training. I was snowboarding and hit a tuff of snow and flew backwards down the mountain. I foolishly tried to catch myself with my hands behind me as I fell, which is a common mistake for non-martial artists. Needless to say, my left wrist fractured in 2 spots. This led to cast for 6 months and it was very painful to use for nikkyo, sankyo and kotegaishi for about 3 months afterwards. I kept exercising it, and now it only pops sometimes. Im happy to say though, that Aikido has dramatically improved my snowboarding skills! Just think tenkan exercise when you are switching from toe to heel edge or from regular to goofy. I dont think it improved my jumps tho .

My second injury was more recent Im sorry to say. I was practicing with a yudansha and I was asking about a sankyo kaeshiwaza i had seen and I showed it to him. I was asking how I could improve my technique so that the kaeshiwaza wouldnt work (since it shouldnt work against perfect technique). He replied that if the sankyo was started early enough, I wouldnt have the time to drop down low to return sankyo to him for this particular kaeshiwaza. So we tried it and my right wrist popped. He asked if I was ok, and I thought I was, because it didnt hurt at the time. Then when I went to the changing room, it hurt a lot! And a few days after I realized it had been dislocated. This wound healed within 2 months and makes no noises. It was my fault really for not doing the ukemi right. Had I merged with his center sooner, I would have been fine. I suppose thats what I get for "testing techniques" as was stated earlier.

My most recent Aikido injury was when I was taking ukemi for someone who was doing a morotedori kotegaishi. Somehow during the technique the dorsal plate in my left pinky finger got hyperextended, or at least I think thats how the doctor explained it. We're not really sure how it happened, but we suppose my finger might have gotten bent backwards and then had the upper-middle section shoved down with the hand that doesnt have the grip. I spent about a week and a half with a splint on it. After that, I would bandage it to my other fingers while practicing for about a week. I even took a kyu test while bandaged, which I was very scared I was going to miss! Although it doesnt interfere with my practice at all, during any of the techniques, it still hasnt healed fully after 4 months. If I press it just right, it still hurts, though not like it did.

Becuase I kept exercising my injuries, they are actually more flexible then they were before they were hurt. And although there are people who have unnatural flexibility due to past injuries, I really dont believe I am one of these people; I would just stretch it a little every day.

Take heart! Hope this helps!

Jeff