Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-17-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
kljohnson
Dojo: Jui Do Kai
Canada
Tongue New Girl On The Block

Hey all, just thought I should introduce myself, since I'm a newbie and all.

I'm 22 Canadian, and I am currently training in a mixture of Aikido, Jui-Jitsu, Oyama, Kyukoshinkai, and Tae Kwon Do (Iron fist)

Just treat me like one of the guys. And if you come into the dojo, please please hit me like I'm a guy.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
GreenLizzard
United_States
Ai symbol Re: New Girl On The Block

Welcome! Sounds like quite a mixture. So you must be training in something at least every day.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States
Re: New Girl On The Block

Greetings and salutations...sounds like you have a full plate...what do you call this meal?

Mickey
Old 12-17-2005, 09:49 PM   #4
akiy

Hi Kathy-Lynne,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-18-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States

Hello and welcome. Hit you like a guy, treat you like a lady. Can do anytime! Again, welcome.

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 12-19-2005, 08:00 AM   #6
kljohnson
Canada

My meal is called Jui Do Kai, it's a really even mixture of the above mentioned arts. Thank You all so much for the welcome!

And for the most part I train three times a week, two hours a day. But the mental training is constant.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States

Canadians!

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 12-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

Not sure I want to hit you, you sound much more dangerous than me!

How are the different arts integrated? It sounds very interesting, if rather challenging.

Mary Kaye
Old 12-20-2005, 06:16 PM   #9
Miss Amanda

Dojo: SEISHIDOKAN AIKIDO DOJO
United_States
Hey.

Welcome.
Nice mix.

Which one do you like most?
Old 01-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
kljohnson
Canada

Quote:
Mary Kuhner wrote:
Not sure I want to hit you, you sound much more dangerous than me!

How are the different arts integrated? It sounds very interesting, if rather challenging.

Mary Kaye
I know this won't help much, but evenly. So hard to explain, Um, if you took the strong points of each, and balled them all together, like the most effective strikes, locks, throws from each style, then you'd be getting close. It's something you'd just have to see I guess. I'll work on a better example for you.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #11
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Quote:
Kathy-Lynne Johnson wrote:
I know this won't help much, but evenly. So hard to explain, Um, if you took the strong points of each, and balled them all together, like the most effective strikes, locks, throws from each style, then you'd be getting close. It's something you'd just have to see I guess. I'll work on a better example for you.
Someone help me out. Wouldn't it be that an even blend of all those arts would be a new art? I know a group in a nearby city that practices 5 or 6 martial arts but they train and rank in them separately. All these arts are so big in themselves and take a lifetime to master, it seems to me that an even blend would be a small part of each and thus a new art.
Best,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 01-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #12
kljohnson
Canada
Arrow Re: New Girl On The Block

Quote:
Jorge Garcia wrote:
Someone help me out. Wouldn't it be that an even blend of all those arts would be a new art? I know a group in a nearby city that practices 5 or 6 martial arts but they train and rank in them separately. All these arts are so big in themselves and take a lifetime to master, it seems to me that an even blend would be a small part of each and thus a new art.
Best,
I'll help you out, yes it is a new art.

Quote:
Kathy-Lynne Johnson wrote:
My meal is called Jui Do Kai, it's a really even mixture of the above mentioned arts. Thank You all so much for the welcome!

And for the most part I train three times a week, two hours a day. But the mental training is constant.
It is recognized by the federation. The founders each held multiple black belts in the previous mentioned styles, and found a beautiful way to combine their knowledge, and create a very effective art.

Does that answer your question?

Last edited by kljohnson : 01-08-2006 at 09:14 PM. Reason: html
Old 01-08-2006, 11:27 PM   #13
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Yes,
Thanks. I guess my point was that Aikido as an art is more than the raw techniques but it is also the way they are applied including the body movement, philosophy, etc. Also, it is a training which has an internally consistent way of moving as an example. As a budo, it can also have various internal applications in a person's life.The other arts you mentioned art the same. It might be more accurate to say that you are part of an art called Jui Do Kai that uses techniques from Aikido, Jui-Jitsu, Oyama, Kyukoshinkai, and Tae Kwon Do. I am suggesting that there is no even blend of those arts. Just a mixing of techniques from those arts. I don't know about the other arts but it may be a question if Aikido can be "blended " in one person with many other "Arts" and still be Aikido.
Best wishes and welcome to the forum!

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 01-09-2006, 09:34 AM   #14
RvW
Dojo: Shung Do Kwan, Geneva
Switzerland

Kathy,

"Jui Do Kai" sounds very close to "Jukokai". Are they by any chance the same?
Old 01-09-2006, 12:41 PM   #15
kljohnson
Canada

Quote:
Rob van Weelderen wrote:
Kathy,

"Jui Do Kai" sounds very close to "Jukokai". Are they by any chance the same?
no they are not.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:07 PM   #16
kljohnson
Canada

Quote:
Jorge Garcia wrote:
Yes,
Thanks. I guess my point was that Aikido as an art is more than the raw techniques but it is also the way they are applied including the body movement, philosophy, etc. Also, it is a training which has an internally consistent way of moving as an example. As a budo, it can also have various internal applications in a person's life.The other arts you mentioned art the same. It might be more accurate to say that you are part of an art called Jui Do Kai that uses techniques from Aikido, Jui-Jitsu, Oyama, Kyukoshinkai, and Tae Kwon Do. I am suggesting that there is no even blend of those arts. Just a mixing of techniques from those arts. I don't know about the other arts but it may be a question if Aikido can be "blended " in one person with many other "Arts" and still be Aikido.
Best wishes and welcome to the forum!

I understand what you are saying, and I'm not saying you are wrong. Aikido is something different to everyone, because we all have different perceptions. The spiritual side or philosophies of Aikido to me, is the same as the Tao, and therefore by precendent, seperate from Aikido, but part of it nonetheless, as Aikido evolved from Tao. Many of the internal applications of Aikido are not unique to Aikido.

You may be right in suggesting that it would be more accurate to say we use a mixture of techniques. But personally, I spend extra time with my Sensei (who is also my husband) on just Aikido. (As well as a few of the others) So for me to say it is an even blend, is not untrue, it is Jui Do Kai to my experience, and from my perspective.

When he teaches the students Aikido techniques, he teaches us to blend and see from the attackers view etc. He also teaches that these moves are not meant to harm, though they can, and can quite effectively. He teaches us one point and so on.

I'm not by any means trying to take away from Aikido, or water it down etc, I have the utmost respect for it. Neither is he, and he would do nothing but uphold it's reputation. But for me to accurately describe what it is we do, I would have to go on for weeks.

Thanks for the good wishes and warm welcome!

Kathy-Lynne