Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-08-2000, 09:19 PM   #1
Axiom
Dojo: TC Aikido Center
This has probably been discussed before, but I can't find any previous discussion. I've just begun(~2 months) aikido, and I'm wondering. How do real world Uke(or attackers, or whatever) fall? For example, while in class, sending someone into a forward throw results in a splendidly beautiful and graceful forward roll, leaving Uke pretty much unharmed and in a ready position. I've never really tried a technique on a non-Aikidoka that would send them into a front roll(My friends seem strangely unwilling to experiment :-) ), but what would happen to a real world uke not trained in falling? What about ushiro ukemi?

Just beginning,
Alex Magidow

_________
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
-- Gandhi
Old 07-08-2000, 09:28 PM   #2
dbgard
Dojo: FSU Aikido Club
Square real life ukemi no ukemi

This is in response to the "real life ukemi" post.

I've never used aikijutsu in real life; aikido - many times - but never a physical technique in response to a real threat.

I would strongly urge you not to throw the attacker in real life, but rather to end the confrontation in osae-waza (pinning). Once the attacker has been controlled, add gradual pain until he shouts "ushiro" or "uncle" or something of that sort. If you truly believe this won't phaze him/her, consider the next step with resignation and mercy.

Take care,
Drew

hara-kiri for the fear-mongers,
sushi-waza for the peace-makers.

--The great dream shared among my friends--

--Please see [u]Aikido and the Harmony of Nature[u] [i]illustration:[i] p. 125. Mitsugi-san, I taught you aikido in my former life, and no
Old 07-08-2000, 09:39 PM   #3
AikiTom
Dojo: Aikido Martial Arts Center
Ki Symbol

(This is a serious answer)
He will fall or he won't. That is if the person goes down, he'll probably go down more unglamorously than a trained person will and is more likely to be injured, which may be desired/necessary depending on circumstances. And, if he doesn't go down, it may be because you didn't off-balance him in preparation for the technique.
That's why you should never feel bad about working with brand-new students in aikido. They are the best for checking if your technique is good, (because they've got little idea about how to respond beyond just going somewhere) or if your regular practice partners have just gotten used to your technique.
Good luck

May the force be with you!
AikiTom
"Be the change you want to see."
Old 07-10-2000, 09:09 AM   #4
BC
I've never had to use aikido in a confrontation outside the dojo, but one of my sempai recently told me about the one time he had. He had a friend that had been badgering him about doing aikido in a bar all night. Later, his friend surprised him in a feined attack, and my sempai responded automatically by applying a sankyo throw (mai ukemi), and his friend very non-gracefully fell into some tables, unharmed. He said he didn't even realized what happened until it was over. My point is that once you have developed your aikido skills to the point that you respond instantaneously to an attack, there is some likelihood that your attacker will make the determination of what technique you use, be it either a throw or a pin. If you try to think about what technique to use in a real attack, you could jeopardize yourself, your loved ones, or even your attacker. A possibly unfortunate result of this instant response is that your attacker might get hurt because he doesn't know to fall, but this is, afterall, a martial art.

IMHO.
Old 07-11-2000, 01:38 PM   #5
Guest5678
Wink

Quote:
Axiom wrote:
This has probably been discussed before, but I can't find any previous discussion. I've just begun(~2 months) aikido, and I'm wondering. How do real world Uke(or attackers, or whatever) fall? For example, while in class, sending someone into a forward throw results in a splendidly beautiful and graceful forward roll, leaving Uke pretty much unharmed and in a ready position. I've never really tried a technique on a non-Aikidoka that would send them into a front roll(My friends seem strangely unwilling to experiment :-) ), but what would happen to a real world uke not trained in falling? What about ushiro ukemi?

Just beginning,
Alex Magidow
Well, we have a guy here in our dojo that did have to use Aikido on an idiot a few months ago. The result was that the attacker ended up with a dislocated shoulder and a really bad headache. Our friend (the good guy) spent some time in jail waiting for the police to get the whole story straight even though it happened in front of a convenience store full of witnesses.

I personally can tell you that the attacker does not go down with a nice perfect roll or break fall and you will more than likely seriously injure the attacker ( and this is a bad thing? ) well, consider that you can possibly wind up with a law suite against you. Now let's go one step further. You are now in court explaining your side when the attacker's lawyer (or public defender) asks, Mr. Victim, do you currently study any martial arts? and your answer will be...........

From this point on there is little use in explaining much of anything. As soon as a judge (or jury) hears that question answered you're running uphill from there, if you know what I mean.

WITH CAUTION, when you think you have a technique down, work with the new people in your dojo. Don't throw them down, but take them to the edge and note how their body reacts. It's very interesting to see how much different their body moves compaired to someone that has been training for awhile.

Good luck and be safe!
Mongo