Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
harveyr4
United_States
Taking 2 different martial arts

Hey,

As I said in an earlier post, I'm new to the forum and Aikido.

I was wondering which other martial art form would be a good choice to go with Aikido? What I'm look for is a art the would not be a role around on the floor art, I'm sure they are great arts but just not for me. I have thought about Kung Fu. I like Aikido but would like some attack moves added into it. My way of thinking is, the more I keep an attacker off of my body the better. That is why I like the Aikido art forum. Does anybody have any feed back or thoughts about this?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: Taking 2 different martial arts

Trying to learn more then one intricate style of martial art at the same time may prove problematic to you. You may want to focus on one style for a while and then maybe train in something else later.

As far as styles, depends on what you want. You said you don't want ground fighting, but there are still tons of options for you to consider: karate, tae kwon do, tang soo do, kung fu, silat, hapkido, aikijitsu, ninjitsu, etc, etc, etc...

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
harveyr4
United_States

Thinks for the info, I don't really know what all those other styles are. Are there a page or site I can go to and see a short description of each style?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

I'm not aware of one place that describes all of those, but a quick google or wikipedia search should help. A lot of aikido people seem to come from aikijitsu or judo backgrounds and some aikido people like hapkido, but really the decision is up to you. I'm personally a huge fan of aikijitsu. Trained in it for about 7 years before starting aikido. It has some aikido and judo techniques, as well as jujitsu and punching and kicking. Or at least my dojo did. My dojo also did traditional hand and weapon kata involving bo, jo, sword, sai, tonfa and chucks. I enjoyed doing things such as choke breaks and bear hug throws. There are people much more qualified then I am who could tell you more about that style.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Harvey,

You might want to consider Yoseikan Budo. Mochizuki Sensei was a student of Ueshiba O Sensei and incorporated a number of the traditional arts into a rather comprehensive form. You can do a quick Google search for Yoseikan or Patrick Auge Sensei. That might give you some information you're interested in.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 04-01-2011, 04:16 AM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, the arts you study don't matter as much as your ability to keep them separate in training and thought until such time that they begin to integrate by themselves.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
SteliosPapadakis
Dojo: aikido-dojo-nippos
Greece

In principle, a Samurai could (well enough and with the appropriate care)serve one master at a time.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

But as to my limited knowledge they could train in several martial disciplines at the same time. And your local "sensei" isn´t a daimyo.

Quote:
Stelios Papadakis wrote: View Post
In principle, a Samurai could (well enough and with the appropriate care)serve one master at a time.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
SteliosPapadakis
Dojo: aikido-dojo-nippos
Greece

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
But as to my limited knowledge they could train in several martial disciplines at the same time.
Very true, Peter. Cannot dissagree. But, IMHO (and IMHO and cosmotheory only) one cannot master something if at the same time he is involved in doing several other things. Just a personal view on life...

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
And your local "sensei" isn´t a daimyo.
YOU tell him that!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:56 AM   #10
harveyr4
United_States

Hey guys,
thanks for the input. But I wasn't meaning trying to take them both at the same time. I don't really have time to do that. Just an idea of what other kind of style to take in the future. The other factor is I don't really like to use weapons. I like the thought of just using my body, hands, legs, etc... With Aikido You can take down an attacker very quickly and break bones at the same time. As far as an attacker goes, I want to take them down as quickly as possible, break bones and make a quick shot to the nose all in one type of motion. I know this sound bad, but if someone wants to attack someone to hurt, still, or kill them, than I want them to fill pain and to think twice about ever attacking anyone again. I like Aikido and will take that style, but would like to take an other style to add the attack style into Aikido.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
Mark Peckett
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of Great Britain
United Kingdom

If you're interested in effectively taking down and winning in fights, then judo/jujitsu seems to be the way to go. Curtis Sliwa, founder of the Guardian Angels said judo was the best martial art as 9 out of 10 fights end up rolling round on the floor, and BJJ springs from the same philosophy.
If you want to pop someone in the nose, wado ryu karate was founded by a jujitsu master and has a lot of the nagashi/diverting principles of aikido - plus hitting and kicking!
Filipino eskrima uses a lot of the same locks as aikido and includes devastating finishes, as does hapkido.
All of these arts can inform your practice, including being aware of how other arts can counter what you're doing in your aikido, but ...
personally, I'd wait until you're really secure in one art like aikido before you move to another. The differences will interfere with your practice of both arts otherwise.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #12
lbb
United_States

If you're thinking about what might be an interesting style somewhere down the road, I'd say don't bother to look for a style based on your perceived present-day needs. Right now you're thinking of a hypothetical self-defense scenario, which may or may not be realistic, and of "teaching a lesson" to your attacker...no beef with that, but people who try to draw conclusions based on what they're going to feel ten years from now, are operating on bad data. So I'd say don't try to make a utilitarian choice, or really any choice at this time. Instead, just spend some time learning more about different styles. Donn Draeger's "Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts" is a great place to start, and then you can spin off from there, depending on where your interest takes you.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
matty_mojo911

Hi Harvey

My advice to new students is always the same "what do you want out of the art? (either Aikido, or whatever). If you have an answer then you just need to find what art meets the need. Wikipedia, youtube, or the local library - are your main sources.

It also massively depends on your type of personality - for example a Karate style might fit but when you see them train you say "Holy Hell I'm not doing that crazy stuff!!!!" Aikido generally attracts a more passive, peaceful person - generally.

However if you want to be an ace fighter, able to defend yourself well this is what you need: A never say die attitude, train really hard (in whatever style), train a stand up style (kickboxing, or Muay Thai - so you learn how to take apunch), a ground style (BJJ is king in this field) and a throwing style - Aikido or Judo. I'm not a fan of Kung Fu styles - a lot of flash and not a lot of substance. Harsh I know. Those are my thoughts - good luck.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:19 AM   #14
lbb
United_States

Yeah, we all know about those horrible violent karateka...
Old 04-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #15
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

Quote:
Harvey Roberts wrote: View Post
Hey,

I was wondering which other martial art form would be a good choice to go with Aikido? What I'm look for is a art the would not be a role around on the floor art, I'm sure they are great arts but just not for me. I have thought about Kung Fu. I like Aikido but would like some attack moves added into it. My way of thinking is, the more I keep an attacker off of my body the better. That is why I like the Aikido art forum. Does anybody have any feed back or thoughts about this?
I'm becoming convinced that the art/style is not as important as the teacher. Don't worry too much about the style. Look around your area and if you can find an excellent technician who can explain their art reasonably well who also happens to be a decent human being, then go with that.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #16
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Yeah, we all know about those horrible violent karateka...
saw quite a few karateka screaming and yelling and beating up these defenseless makiwara. what a bunch of nut jobs!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #17
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Matt Morris wrote: View Post
Aikido generally attracts a more passive, peaceful person - generally.
Hi Matt,

I see you are new to Aikiweb then

Generally I agree with the points that you made though.

regards

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
saw quite a few karateka screaming and yelling and beating up these defenseless makiwara. what a bunch of nut jobs!
Phil:

You think that's nuts! I saw a bunch of screaming and yelling makiwara beating up a bunch of defenseless karateka..........

Marc
Old 04-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Phil:

You think that's nuts! I saw a bunch of screaming and yelling makiwara beating up a bunch of defenseless karateka..........

Marc
Buncha babies. Around here, we cut the makiwara down and burn 'em!

(we have to...to stay warm...what is this "spring" of which you speak?)
Old 04-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #20
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

I agree with Oisin, it's the teacher.

Being in Arkansas I suspect your options may be more limited than say Los Angelos. Go find who is available in your area and make your decision based on that.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #21
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Hey guys,
thanks for the input. But I wasn't meaning trying to take them both at the same time. I don't really have time to do that. Just an idea of what other kind of style to take in the future. The other factor is I don't really like to use weapons. I like the thought of just using my body, hands, legs, etc... With Aikido You can take down an attacker very quickly and break bones at the same time. As far as an attacker goes, I want to take them down as quickly as possible, break bones and make a quick shot to the nose all in one type of motion. I know this sound bad, but if someone wants to attack someone to hurt, still, or kill them, than I want them to fill pain and to think twice about ever attacking anyone again. I like Aikido and will take that style, but would like to take an other style to add the attack style into Aikido.
Martial Art click-clack-pow... click - pull slide back. clack - release slide. pow - squeeze trigger with implement pointing at center of mass. repeat pow until threat is ended.
Or run like hell. (a better option - speshully where I live 'cause it's agin the law to 'carry'.) Best training for self defense is to be able to run like the wind and get the hell away from the attacker. Or run him or her over if he or she is blocking your escape route. Develop a 100 m sprint followed by a 5 km run - most people can't follow that... If the attacker catches you, you're in trouble, and it would be to your advantage to be able to defend yourself with whatever works. Some people find that Aikido is suitable.

W

what time zone is this aikiweb server based in - says here my post was sent at 2:45 PM but it was 10:45 PM here in Ontario... Hawaii? Last time I asked Jun he told me it was based in the mountain time zone but that can't be right...

Last edited by Walter Martindale : 04-05-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: query...
Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 AM   #22
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
what time zone is this aikiweb server based in - says here my post was sent at 2:45 PM but it was 10:45 PM here in Ontario... Hawaii? Last time I asked Jun he told me it was based in the mountain time zone but that can't be right...
Jun answered me in a personal message. My personal settings still had me in New Zealand... Oops.
Thanks Jun.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #23
aikidoka81

Singapore

Quote:
Hey,

You can learn sword martial arts like Iaido or Kendo to compliment your Aikido since Aikido also teaches sword and the hand strikes are based on sword movements. I've thought about learning that before but later decided to just focus on Aikido so that I can improve my Aikido faster. Kung Fu is different from Aikido and you may mix up or confuse the techniques so it's advisable not to.

Aikido The Gentle Martial Art http://www.squidoo.com/aikido3
Old 03-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #24
D-Ring
Dojo: Aikido of Sacramento
United_States

Quote:

I was wondering which other martial art form would be a good choice to go with Aikido? What I'm look for is a art the would not be a role around on the floor art, I'm sure they are great arts but just not for me.
Harvey, my suggestion is that you might look for a good teacher rather than a specific style. I've taken a few different MA along the way and I've noticed my success and enjoyment usually have much more to do with the teacher and the other students that it does with whatever the name on the door is. Even in places where MA schools abound you may only find one or two teachers who are experienced, mature and really know what their art is about. Good aikido will serve you in wherever you go next.

That said, I've recently quit rolling around on the ground as well. A wise man adapts to the limitations of his body. : )

Peace,
Dave

Last edited by D-Ring : 03-29-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #25
Zoe S Toth
Dojo: Seidokan Aikido of South Carolina
United_States

Quote:
Hey,

Hello!

I hate to tell you but if you want to go offensive, you'll need to understand ground and standing fighting. A dojo mate of mine and I do this all the time. He and another girl at my dojo did karate- so they do 'tap fighting' from time to time. He does fine dealing with her. My background is in kicks and ground fighting and this is what happens:

If he manages to keep it a standing fighting focusing on the fist he wins.

If I manage to bring in more kicks, I either get a good one in and its over OR its a sweep, we bring it to the ground and I choke him out.

My advice is budo is not a short term goal- O'Sensei was highly skilled at multiple arts. He didn't learn that in a few years but rather over his life.

Good luck.