Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
marlon10

United_States
Anyone recommend technique book

Can anyone recommend an Aikido reference book to accompany class training? Sometimes by the time I get home from class I have completely forgotten the Japanese terms for the techniques I learned.

At this point all I am looking for is a book with fundamental techniques as I am just a beginner.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States
Re: Anyone recommend technique book

'Best Aikido: The Fundamentals', by Kisshomaru and Moriteru Ueshiba. The book doesn't cover every possible technique, but it explains the basics quite well, with lots of photos. 'The Principles of Aikido,' by Mitsugi Saotome is also very good. The two books organize material differently and compliment each other well.

Cheers,
Garth
Old 02-10-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Marlon Hester wrote: View Post
Can anyone recommend an Aikido reference book to accompany class training? Sometimes by the time I get home from class I have completely forgotten the Japanese terms for the techniques I learned.

At this point all I am looking for is a book with fundamental techniques as I am just a beginner.
For what its worth, I got the Aikido 3D software when I first started...its like an animated book.

You can choose viewing angle, speed, technique, hakama or no hakama, etc.

Only the techniques required for testing by U.S.A.F. which is set forth by Hombu, I believe, are there.
Which are not as comprehensive as I would have liked, as it leaves a ton of techniques not covered...but for that I video taped a private session with my instructor.

Peace

dAlen

p.s.

Also, you might be interested - in the beginning stages - to go ahead and concentrate on footwork.
Not every dojo emphasizes this...I find it personally helpful, and have noticed a dramatic change in my Aikido after getting down some of the basics. (We have like 8 different steps to combine in the techniques, that we dont really focus on...and, as I mentioned, you can tell the difference once you do.)

While I dont have the video from my instructor available for you to look at how we do it, there is one online video...while somewhat different...it is very nice and clean, and sets you up for good balance - which is essential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPYrb7TLU9s
There are 11 videos in the series...though not all of them are footwork, its still nice and gives you a good concept of movement.

Last edited by dalen7 : 02-10-2009 at 01:03 AM.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 02-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #4
sorokod
United Kingdom

Quote:
Can anyone recommend an Aikido reference book to accompany class training?
Which style of Aikido? Note that the first reply points at Aikikai and USAF resources, the second at Yoshinkan videos.
Some or none of these may be "compatible" with your studies.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
Shizentota

Dojo: Hakusan A.K.I.
Chile

Warner Bull sensei wrote 3 book, they are realy cool,

The first one is about Theorical, with many stories and spirituals things, i really like it.

The second ones is about Technical, very complete, its cover most of the techniques, also weapons, and some exercise.

And the the last ones is about Historical.

I have read the first one and the second one, I always used them,
I have other books also but this two books are really helpful,

I dont know if there is a english version of its.

Try searching it.

I think they are onle in portuguese

here is the name

"O Caminho da Sabedoria"

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

My first choice would be "Aikido and the Dynamc Sphere," it's a classic.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
Rodger
Dojo: Seibukan
United_States

Two of my favorites are. Total Aikido by Yoshimitus Yamada and Total Aikido by Gozo Shioda.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Ask your sensei. I have an extensive Aikido library and they all focus on different things. Your sensei should be able to recommend what books he feels will best suite what he is teaching you.

Greg Steckel
Old 02-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
denman

"Aikido in training"

Eric and Greg, you are within two hours of my dojo where I train under the authors of this book. If you're ever interested in an informative road trip and first hand experience. I'd gladly return the road trip gesture.

Eric, Toyoda Sesnei had visited my dojo for many years and I attended many of his seminars.

D
Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
mantis

The 3 best books I've read are:

This is Aikido by Tohei, Koichi
New Aikido Complete by Yamada, Yoshimitsu
Judo and Aikido by Tomiki, Kenji

They are all out of print but I've learned a lot from all of them.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Dennis Murray wrote: View Post
"Aikido in training"

Eric and Greg, you are within two hours of my dojo where I train under the authors of this book. If you're ever interested in an informative road trip and first hand experience. I'd gladly return the road trip gesture.

D
"Aikido in Training" is a very good technical manual; and thanks for the invite. I believe you are in Central Jersey - just might manage to get over there sometime.

As for us, we are a small independent Aiki club that is also a member of the Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Roppokai, New York Branch and are currently applying for study group status. Anyone is welcome to train with us at anytime at no cost - just have an interest in Aiki and good ukemi... more info on us at www.aikikurabu.com Just a note on the Roppokai, although our club members are also members of the Roppokai, we are not authorized to teach it, we just study it - all our direction comes from Howard Popkin Sensei and more info on the Roppokai can be obtained from his web site at: www.popkinbrognaselfdefense.com/

(sorry if some of this may not appear appropriate to this thread, it was just more logical to respond to Dennis' invite at the point of the invitation, etc)

Greg