Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-06-2000, 08:32 PM   #1
DialysisDemon
Smile

Hello all
Im new to the list and have a question to send out. I would like to know about any other people who are on dialysis and/or have or have had a kidney transplant, and are currently practicing. I have been on dialysis 6 years, and have studied for much of that time....although not currently due to my location.
Thank you for any replies, I am looking forward to them!
Also, if you just know someone in that situation, please tell me
Peace and Prayers
Darrell
AKA DialysisDemon
Old 11-07-2000, 12:56 AM   #2
Elric123
Dojo: None Yet
Way to go

Darrell,

I just wanted to jump in and say "Way to go man!"

I have been a critical care nurse, and I have a sister who is now all but a vegitable due to her inability to take responsability for her diabetes and kidney failure. Seven strokes later and wham, fruit in a chair...

Don't get me wrong we love her dearly, but if she had taken the positive attitude and persued a path like Aiki then well, things would surely be different.

You didn't post here for pats I know, but I give em as I see em. Hell of a role model my friend, I hope their are others either on the transplant list or post-op that will follow your lead.

Trent
Old 11-08-2000, 12:54 AM   #3
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi Darrel!

I know very little of dialysis - but from what I know and what I've read here I just want to be the next in line to join Trent in his standing ovation.

So well I guess this is just another pat on the shoulder you didn't ask for.....

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 11-08-2000, 12:25 PM   #4
jxa127
Darrell,

The head of my organization (the Aikido Association of America), Fumio Toyoda Shihan, was on dialysis and has had a kidney transplant. If you have questions about training, you may want to send him an e-mail: aikidoamer@aol.com.

As one who has suffered a number of kidney stones, the fear of kidney failure hits close to my heart. It's good to know that it's possible to continue training. You have my deepest respect and admiration.

-Drew A.

P.S. Where are you currently located?

[Edited by jxa127 on November 8, 2000 at 02:14pm]
Old 11-09-2000, 08:42 PM   #5
DialysisDemon
Smile

Thanks for the replies
Is Toyoda Shihan still able to actively participate in class with his transplant?
Dont worry about the stones...keep moving, dont drink alot of caffeine and soda and stuff, and listen to your doctor!
Again you guys, thanks for the replies, and I hope to continue to communicate with all of you.
Peace and Prayers
Darrell
aka DialysisDemon
Old 11-10-2000, 09:50 AM   #6
jxa127
Smile Toyoda Shihan

Darrell,

Toyoda Shihan maintains a rigorous schedule of seminars and camps as well as teaching at the AAA hombu dojo. His technique is vigorous and powerful. I really don't think the transplant has affected him negatively.

OTOH, I'm only speculating, you're best bet is to ask him directly. The info about his dialysis and transplant is in our student manual, so it's pretty much common knowledge. Send him an e-mail.

-Drew