Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-19-2002, 08:55 PM   #1
JW

Aikido in SF

This has probably been covered before.. but I would appreciate any help.

There are lots of San Francisco people posting around here, and I have read great things from everyone. Does anyone have any words of advice for me? I have just moved to the city and will begin training again soon.. Robert Nadeau sensei is the head of the division of my former dojo, and I will train at City Aikido as much as I can.. however I don't think I could make it every day. I am living in the Sunset, next to UCSF, and will be working at UCSF.
Shall I try to train at various "part-time" dojos in the area, or does anyone know of any other options?
Thanks for your help. Any recommedations appreciated.
--Jonathan Wong
Old 08-19-2002, 10:54 PM   #2
Deb Fisher
Hey Jonathan,

Miss you and your Aikidoka Mover at AMV. It's great to at least see your electronic presence! Good luck in SF,

Deb

Deb Fisher
Old 08-20-2002, 08:45 PM   #3
JW

Hi! Thanks. Yes I am sure it will be great here.

Due to complications I am not training yet, but I have a couple of places to try.

I hope everything is great over there..

--JW
Old 08-22-2002, 05:10 AM   #4
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
For what it's worth, I teach Elementary Aikido at SFSU, which is close to UCSF. Classes are Mon & Wed, 3-4 PM, starting in a few weeks.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:43 AM   #5
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido
Options... hmmm.

I keep hearing of new (to me) aikido dojos all over the city; there seem to be lots hidden away in various places.

UCSF -- that's Inner Sunset, right?

Well I remember seeing a dojo in the Outer Sunset, around Taraval and the 30's, I believe. Don't know who they're affiliated with.

There's a dojo in Japantown, there's Suginami in SOMA, there's a judo/aikido dojo in Noe Valley, I think I saw an Iwama style place on Upper Van Ness, and there's City, which you know about. None of them really close to UCSF but none really far either.

I've heard good things about Suginami (formerly Skid Row Dojo) and I think Aleksey may train in J-town; don't know anything about any of the others except City, at which I train.

=wl
Old 08-22-2002, 12:04 PM   #6
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
try these sites too:

http://www.balsamfir.com/sunset/

http://www.sfaikikai.com/index_alt.html
Old 08-22-2002, 12:04 PM   #7
Erik
Quote:
Willy Lee (willy_lee) wrote:
I think Aleksey may train in J-town; don't know anything about any of the others except City, at which I train.
I've consistently run into people who hold Hideki Shiohira in high regard. I don't really know my way around those parts, other than City Aikido for a rare visit, but if I were in SF I think I'd pay that man a visit.
Quote:
I keep hearing of new (to me) aikido dojos all over the city; there seem to be lots hidden away in various places.
We sure ain't Florida.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:50 PM   #8
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
Erik Haselhofer (Erik) wrote:
I've consistently run into people who hold Hideki Shiohira in high regard. I don't really know my way around those parts, other than City Aikido for a rare visit, but if I were in SF I think I'd pay that man a visit.
www.pacific-aikido.org/sfcenter.html
Old 08-22-2002, 02:30 PM   #9
Neil Mick
Suginami is good; in fact, it was my home dojo until I moved further South.

The best thing to do, of course, is use the Dojo search engine her on-site, then go to several dojos to find the flavor you like the best.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:40 PM   #10
akiy

I spent about a year in the San Francisco Bay area without a "home" dojo. I would just go to whichever dojo I felt like training at each night. I doubt this would be very beneficial for complete beginners, though.

There are also many, many seminars that pass through the area that you should take advantage of; it really is a very rich area for aikido.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-22-2002, 04:01 PM   #11
JW

Thanks for all the replies!

The dojo search on this site has been my main resource so far--in fact, Suginami was the one dojo besides City that my sensei was able to recommend to me.. looking forward to it!

Jun, your response was along the lines of what I was thinking! The only thing is: how do you afford that? I would love to do that because of how much variety of experience I could get, but.. mat fees each time? Most places I have seen are charging like $10 now, so that is like $160 a month!

Yes UCSF is in the inner sunset, and I most certainly love to visit classes at SFSU!

BTW there is a place on the dojo search called Aikido In and it has no affiliation.. I will certainly check it out but does anyone know anything before hand about that place?

Thanks again..

--Jonathan W
Old 08-23-2002, 11:28 PM   #12
Neil Mick
I believe it is Ki Society, but that's all I know.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:42 AM   #13
sanskara

United_States
Actually, last time I checked, all the Bay Area Ki no Kenkyukai Dojo were in the East Bay. After Shiohira Sensei left the style for Aikikai affiliation in the early 90's, the headquarters for the Bay Area Ki Society moved to Berkeley (it currently resides in Albany.)

And speaking of Shiohira Sensei, if you ever get the opportunity to train with him, take it! He's the best instructor and example of Aikido I've ever trained with--you will not be disappointed.

Regards,
James Bostwick