Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
idiazmacip
Dojo: AIKIKAI MONTERREY
Mexico
Why we must to clean tatami after every class?

Hi Everybody
Recently, in our dojo we are fixing, cleaning and beautifying some aspects in the physical view, based on that we started to clean tatami after every class, before this period, first student in dojo should clean the tatami, right now we started to clean after every class, I am not opposed to clean, only I want to know which is the purpose of this protocol.
Any comments will be greatly appreciated,
Regards,
Old 05-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: Why we must to cleat tatami after every class?

Just a brief thought... Osoji (cleaning the dojo) is a tradition in Japanese dojo and other places. Along with keeping things clean it gives everyone a chance to "focus" their spirit" and do something that is group oriented. It is part of the kata.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 05-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States
Re: Why we must to cleat tatami after every class?

Purpose? Most traditionally: rote ritual. More practically: minimizing fungal and other infections resulting from a lack of cleanliness.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
idiazmacip
Mexico
Re: Why we must to clean tatami after every class?

thanks for your answers, but, what happen with the practice between classes, is there some restriction to use tatami after cleaning and before next class? I read in some place, "after class when we are exhausted is the best time to practice".
Old 05-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, follow the protocol of the dojo.
What is the purpose your Sensei told you?

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan

In Japan the custom is to clean the dojo before practice. The dojo is a place to polish your spirit and so it should be clean and pure. The process of cleaning also helps you to focus as Chuck said but it is also part of purifying yourself. The physical act of cleaning in the traditional Japanese way fact also strengthens your centre (pushing a damp cloth in straight lines along the tatami or in sweeping curved movements from your hips).

Then after practice you clean the dojo again to clear the dust and dirt that might have accumulated and to leave the dojo clean for the next practice or for the next user. Practically in modern dojos that means that the dojo is often left clean so the stage of cleaning before training can be skipped. In a way that's a pity - if you do a practice after cleaning the dojo first it feels quite different to doing a practice without cleaning.

Many teachers will help with cleaning but if you see your teacher or one of your seniors cleaning it is polite to offer to take the cloth or the broom from them and to do it instead.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 05-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Well... I don't know about you but I leave a lot of sweat behind me on the mat. Do you really want to roll around on a weeks worth of accumulated dried sweat from all of the people you train with?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

The best reason to clean mats daily is MRSA.

http://www.nwcaonline.com/hibiclens_...ngspecific.pdf

Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

We did it before and after class, though I suspect the before part was due to it being a shared as it was within a municipal budokan...

Old 05-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #10
Janet Rosen

...because Sensei said to.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-04-2010, 05:05 AM   #11
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Why did he/she say to?

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 05-04-2010, 06:13 AM   #12
lbb
United_States

You clean things so that they will be clean.

Simple, no?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #13
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

Besides the value of tradition, sweeping the mat helps keep it clear of particles that you don't want on your bare feet and that you certainly don't want to be breathing in when being taken to the mat.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
idiazmacip
Mexico

Please, you don't confuse, I am not asking if mat will be cleaned or not, my doubt is about to practice or simply remains in the mat after cleaning but before next class.
I believe, in that time, practice or stay relaxed in the mat contributes to improve fellowship in dojo, we could ask informally to other partners what they felt with a specific technique, test some variations, etc, but in some aspects it could be rudeness for some partners.
Like Niall mention in Hombu Dojo, clean the mat is executed before practice, but in almost all dojos, that I visited in several parts of the world, they clean after every class, but I never hear something about to practice or not in that portion of time.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Why do you change your underwear daily? You might change it in the morning. You might change it at night. But regardless of the particular time when you change them, you still should do it daily. For all the same reasons as why you clean the mat before/after/whatever.

Regardless of when it is done the mat should be kept as clean as possible. If you want to train more after it has been cleaned, by all means do so. Even better when you're done with your extra bit of training clean where you were training.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #16
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Ignacio Diazmacip wrote: View Post
Like Niall mention in Hombu Dojo, clean the mat is executed before practice, but in almost all dojos, that I visited in several parts of the world, they clean after every class, but I never hear something about to practice or not in that portion of time.
I think I understand the question now...sort of!

If the question is, "Is it all right to practice or talk or stretch out while others are cleaning," I'd say emphatically no -- but you never know, there may be dojos where this is all right. In general, though, when others are doing chores, it seems like the best thing is to join in.

If the question is, "Is it all right to practice or talk or stretch out between classes, if nothing else is going on," I'd say it depends on the dojo. In some dojos, it's fine, and sensei will tell you when he/she wants you to line up; in others, you are expected to be on the mat, sitting quietly in line, five minutes before class starts (without being told to do so). I would suggest doing what is done in your dojo, whether it's casual or formal, and not trying to change the way things are done there.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
RED
United_States

Our mats need a good cleaning... we took the kid's class Saturday and had them make their mother's necklaces with tiny glass beads....guess what I found dug into the mats last night? They didn't even make the necklaces anywhere near the training area!! Kids always amaze me.

I'm thinking I'm gonna be volunteering myself for tiny glass bead hunting tonight. :/

MM
Old 05-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #18
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

We clean after every class and some train for a while after the cleaning. Usually those training will clean again after themselves. They won't do the dusting and so forth, but clean the mat again.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 05-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #19
Anne-Marieke van Rooij

Dojo: Tenchi Ryu
Netherlands

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Second that. Just do as you're told and stop asking why-why-why. There are lots of explanations, but acceptance is lesson #1 I believe.
Though it's hard, I know.

I'm only the piano player