Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #26
Hebrew Hammer

Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
United_States
Re: Ode to be a Mystic...

Great Post Prof PAG,

You just made my morning...what an excellent use of Aikido!!

Thats why I love this forum...

Much Respect,
Kevin
Old 07-25-2008, 08:41 AM   #27
MM
United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Mark,
Hello sensei,
I must say that you made me laugh out loud with your post. I especially loved the "dialogue".

I'll address the parts without smilies below.

Quote:
For Morihei Ueshiba, I do not think that such treasured 'western' concepts of 'faith' and 'belief' enter into the question. I think you need to abandon, or at least to suspend, your 'western' empiricist ways of thinking, when reading O Sensei. Comments below (marked PAG).

PAG. Well, I have studied O Sensei's discourses in Japanese and I know that they are a major challenge, even for native Japanese. However, I think that it is quite wrong to say that O Sensei 'believed' in kami: at certain times, he was convinced that he WAS the kami in question.
I do believe that O Sensei was convinced he was the kami. And in that regards, one must say that O Sensei knew and believed the existence of kami. I would find it very hard to argue against that.

Quote:
PAG. Are you sure the difference is so well defined? I think you need to know that you have quietly added another ingredient to your mix. This is 'knowledge'. How does this differ from 'faith' or 'belief' and how much do you think that O Sensei was aware of these three distinctions? So how could O Sensei at the same time 'know' and also 'believe' that there were kami?
Here in the U.S., I think the differences are blurred. In fact, I think there should be defined distinctions between faith, belief, and knowledge. I hesitated to add knowledge into my post because it requires a bit more than the other two. But, if you have knowledge, then really, faith and belief are no longer issues.

For example, faith can cause one to believe in an afterlife. Belief in the afterlife comes from examining evidence. But, knowledge requires firsthand experience. If you have the knowledge, you no longer need faith and you no longer require belief. Your faith has been justified and your belief proven.

Kind of a loosely based example would be the accounts of people dying while in surgery. So, faith would be from people who had no direct experience and did not know of anyone who had experience in this area. Belief would come from knowing people and gathering the reports of other people who had "died" and come back (this is all providing that the reports are nearly the same giving some quantity of evidence.) But, knowledge comes from the person who experienced the death and came back.

In that regard, you hear a lot of people say, "I believe in an afterlife" or "I know there's an afterlife", when really, they mean I have faith that there is one because they have not seen any evidence and they have not experienced it.

As for O Sensei, I would not argue that he had faith, belief, or knowledge. But, in regards to my post, I was mostly concerned with people studying mysticism and aikido. Who has faith in the kami? Who has belief in the kami? And who has knowledge? It's easy to say I have faith. It requires no proof or evidence. It's harder to say I believe because it requires some evidence. And it's very tenuous to say I have knowledge because it is an area where such knowledge cannot be easily recreated, tested, or supported.

Quote:
PAG. Well, you would have to ask, for example, the population of Aikiweb? You could start by asking Rev. Barrish...
True. And I asked using "believe" rather than "faith" or "knowledge" because it requires some evidence but not direct experience.

In regards to the Rev. Barrish ... I think that I would rather have a direct conversation because I'm sure I'd have a multitude of questions that would be easier and better served in person. I am hoping that I can make it to the Shrine one day and that I would be able to visit and talk with Rev. Barrish.

Thank you again,
Mark
Old 07-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #28
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Hi Kevin,
In that I was practicing Shinto meditation. I described misogi and some of its effects.
Good luck,
Matt
Just to elaborate a bit more:
I think a lot of folks look at mystical experiences as being somewhat psychedelic. In my experience/perception, they're a way of having extreme intent...a certain passion filling every action, which for me is based in a sense of gratitude.
Hope my last message didn't seem too curt.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #29
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Here in the U.S., I think the differences are blurred. In fact, I think there should be defined distinctions between faith, belief, and knowledge. I hesitated to add knowledge into my post because it requires a bit more than the other two. But, if you have knowledge, then really, faith and belief are no longer issues.
Thank you again,
Mark
Hello Mark,

Absoutely, but why would the differences be blurred in the US? Some of my happiest days in the US involved (1) going to morning training in the old New England Aikikai Dojo (usually with Fred Newcomb teaching--Kanai Sensei was not a 'morning' person); (2) having breakfast in the deli opposite the dojo and learning all about the intricacies of American English, especially involving fried eggs; (3) going back to Harvard and debating at length the questions you raised with very bright people; (4) going to evening training with Kanai Sensei (who did not really worry about such issues); (5) having dinner after training in a restaurant that was very close to the dojo. The only time I discussed faith, knowledge, and belief was at (3).

I think the issues surrounding faith, knowledge and belief in aikido were pretty much the same in the US as they were in the UK, when I returned. In Japan, however, things are somewhat different, mainly because there is a huge problem of vocabulary. Thus, I am pretty sure that O Sensei would have regarded his encounters with the deities as a matter of knowledge, not faith or belief.

Best,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 07-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #30
MM
United_States

Quote:
Hello Mark,

Absoutely, but why would the differences be blurred in the US?
Sometimes I wonder if it's just American nature but I don't have a solid foundation in cultural issues outside the U.S. so I don't really know.

But, there are quite a lot of examples where these things blur here in the U.S., particularly in religious matters. You will hear people say, "I know there is a God" all the time. Unfortunately, the sentence should be "I have faith that there is a God".

Regarding kami, even in this thread, I get the sense that quite a few posters don't believe in kami and that mysticism, shinto rites, chinkon kishin, etc are really about internal spiritual awakenings or inner development.

Quote:
Thus, I am pretty sure that O Sensei would have regarded his encounters with the deities as a matter of knowledge, not faith or belief.

Best,

PAG
I guess the question would be, if you are studying aikido and want to delve into the spiritual side of O Sensei, do you have to believe that kami are real? Or do you have to go beyond and have knowledge that kami are real?

Thank you,
Mark
Old 07-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #31
Hebrew Hammer

Dojo: Lava Fitness (The Boxing Club)
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Just to elaborate a bit more:
I think a lot of folks look at mystical experiences as being somewhat psychedelic. In my experience/perception, they're a way of having extreme intent...a certain passion filling every action, which for me is based in a sense of gratitude.
Hope my last message didn't seem too curt.
Take care,
Matt
Thanks Matt, that is more of what I was looking for...I'm sure that any 'mystical' experiences would be very subjective in nature, I don't have any set in stone preconceptions of what a mystical experience would be, only that I would like to believe that they are possible. I'm not one to accept things as they are or by how others will define them but would rather challenge them to what they could be. I like my lines blurred.

Coincidentally, I just caught a special program on the National Geographic, or the Science channel about some modern scientists who are challenging conventional 'wisdom' on what our minds are capable of....The Institute of Noetic Sciences http://www.noetic.org/. Very timely and interesting...who was the poster who said seek and a teacher will come?

The problem when you try to have a discussion about these things, is that people will be quick to refute your experience or label you as less than credible. I've always admired individuals, scientists, military leaders, mavericks, individuals like Tesla, Einstein, Col. Hackworth, among others, who challenge the system...create their own reality. Thats maybe why I find aikido so fascinating...it goes against conventional Budo/Martial thought...I don't know if I will become an Aikidoka one day but I enjoy possiblity of becoming one.

Thanks Again, I hope to one day visit your Shrine.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #32
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

Quote:
I guess the question would be, if you are studying aikido and want to delve into the spiritual side of O Sensei, do you have to believe that kami are real? Or do you have to go beyond and have knowledge that kami are real?

Thank you,
Mark
Dear Mark,

Do I have to have knowledge that you are real in order to respond to your inquiry?

Is faith enough?

Is belief enough?

Or, Is it possible that I can respond to your inquiry without knowing, believing, or having any faith whatsoever in your own independent existence from your own side? And if I do that, does that mean I view you as unreal?

Interdependently yours,

Some pattern designation conventionally referred to as "Fred Little"
Old 07-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #33
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States

Quote:
I suppose it depends on what you would want from your delving. If you want to understand where he was coming from, it probably doesn't matter, as it remains intellectual. If you want "what he had" and wanted to pursue the same path, or similar at it's core at least, then I think you'd have to not only believe but find a way to have direct knowledge, i.e., a direct experience that they are real.... a tricky path to follow, as there are many.... empty roads that might seem to be full at the start....

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido
Old 07-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #34
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
IMHO, if you want to delve into O'Sensei's spirituality, then yes, you need to believe what he believed and good luck in finding, understanding, and adopting that.

If you want to delve into your own spirituality, begin to see through the illusions of your own beliefs and accept that neither you or your beliefs actual exist.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #35
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Hagens wrote: View Post
Thanks Matt, that is more of what I was looking for...
Cool! I agree it's that subjective quality which makes topics like this so difficult. It's almost like we're given a Connect the Dots project but none of the dots are numbered and the longer you look at the paper, some dots will disappear while other suddenly appear from nowhere.

Quote:
The problem when you try to have a discussion about these things, is that people will be quick to refute your experience or label you as less than credible.
I haven't run into this too much in this forum, fortunately. I understand the skepticism that's out there though. I know history well enough to know the dangers of faith; it's frightening when you think of folks like Gallileo and what they had to endure in the name of "Virtue."

Quote:
Thanks Again, I hope to one day visit your Shrine.
My pleasure! I don't often feel like I have much to offer in this forum in general, so it always makes me feel good to hear I contributed something.

Gambarimashyo!