Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
notlimahttocs
Dojo: American Aikido Institute, Brazil, IN
United_States
Iwata or Tozando Hakama

If you had to pick between the following which one would it be:

1. http://www.tozandoshop.com/Tozando_Cotton_Aikido_Hakama_p/183-ah900[235b].htm

or

2. http://www.masamune-store.com/iwata-cotton-black,fr,4,HA_HI_COB_xxx.cfm
Old 08-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States
Re: Iwata or Tozando Hakama

I wear cotton indigo dyed Hakama. For years, I've only worn Iwata brand. However, last year I bought a Tozando indigo dyed Hakama. I feel that lately the Tozando quality has been superior to Iwata. I see this in both the Tozando indigo dyed Hakama and their gi. Also, the Tozando prices are a bit lower.

That being said, I bought the black cotton Tozando Hakama that you linked as a gift for one of our students after passing his Shodan exam (he is 73 years old BTW) last year. I have also seen the similar Iwata black cotton Hakama. Although I haven't worn it or folded it, visually the Iwata brand looks 'better' in terms of the fabric and pleating than the Tozando.

Another comment, the size of the kanji/katakana (if you choose to have embroidery) on the Iwata is larger than the Tozando. Although, Tozando has more color and style choices.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either choice.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Well I wouldn't by the Iwata from that site. That costs a fortune. If you are going to get an Iwata hakama, get it from the manufacturer at the site below.

http://www.alpha-net.ne.jp/users2/iwataco/frame2e.html

In all honesty though, I don't think there is much of a difference. If the Tozando one is cheaper then I would get that. Having said that, I own 2 Iwata hakamas and I am very happy with them. I got them because the Iwata shop was closer to where I was living (Iwata is based in Tokyo, and Tozando is in Kyoto, I think.)
Old 08-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Both are excellent quality. I ended up buying the Tozando because their website and ordering process was far easier for one who doesn't speak Japanese. It is top quality and has worn very well.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 08-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Millsy
Dojo: Aiki-Centre
Australia

I've ordered from Tozando a number of times (gi's, hakama, and weapons) and always been impressed with their quality and service.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
Gerardo Torres
United_States

I own a Tozando polyester hakama and it's the I've ever owned. Not sure about their cotton hakama but judging by the quality of their other products I would not hesitate to try it.

You could also check on www.e-bogu.com, which might offer a less expensive and still acceptable quality option.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #7
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

I've got a Tozando cotton hakama - it's really nice though it does wrinkle a lot.

I guess my next hakama will be a Tozando with a different fabric. Probably a Cotton / Polyester blend

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 08-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #8
Millsy
Dojo: Aiki-Centre
Australia

Quote:
Jørgen Jakob Friis wrote: View Post
I've got a Tozando cotton hakama - it's really nice though it does wrinkle a lot.

I guess my next hakama will be a Tozando with a different fabric. Probably a Cotton / Polyester blend
If your looking for the non cotton, I have their deluxe polyester "cashmire feel" hakama with stitched pleats (stitches on the inside can't be seen). This doesn't wrinkle, holds its pleats, and folds easily. Best hakama I own.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Cliff Judge
Japan

I had an indigo Iwata hakama that lasted from early 2005 to early 2010, at which time the knees had thinned out a lot and it tore when somebody stepped on it whilst throwing me. I patched it but the patch material is too thick for it to be comfortable in the warm months.

So I got a black cotton Tozando aikido hakama at the end of 2010. It is really nice but I get threads coming out of it all the time. I'd go with Iwata if trying to choose between the two. But FWIW next hakama I purchase will be a bujin one from aikido24.com.