Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
Peter Boylan
United_States
How do you describe budo practice to non-budo folks?

I've been trying to figure out how to describe budo to non-budo folks for years. I think I've finally hit on the right description. It's in my latest blog post. How do you describe it to people who ask?

http://budobum.blogspot.jp/2014/02/b...ilarating.html

Peter Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC
Budo Books, Videos, Equipment from Japan
http://www.budogu.com
Old 02-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Stephen Nichol
Dojo: Aikilife, Canberra
Australia
Re: How do you describe budo practice to non-budo folks?

Yeah, I would say that is a good way to put it.

Budo is just 'Budo'. One can 'feel many ways or things' about the Budo they practice. As it is always the individual's interpretation of their experience at any given moment that will determine what they will feel about it.

However when asked about my studies and experience, most people want to know: What is it? How do you do :stuff:? Does it work (with actual self defense 'concepts' in mind)? and somewhere much further down the line of questions it may get asked: Is it fun?

I have started describing it to non-budo people as my preferred way of self-reflection, introspection and meditation. Taking the time to focus on any one of the many things our minds and bodies have to internalize to become better at everything else and experiencing progress in that is, to me, much more rewarding an experience than most other things in life.

So it is not 'fun' in the moment of doing kata/suburi/solo IP/IS/Aiki training.. it is interesting, challenging and many other things when you are looking to make little improvements to optimize yourself. The fun comes when you check yourself with someone else and their comments are along the lines of: 'That was much better than last time' Or 'Wow, how do you do that to me so easily?' and you begin to share your knowledge with them... and they begin to experience improvements for themselves... that is the fun part. For me anyway.