Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
MarkCim
Dojo: Aikido of Modesto
United_States
Arrow What is the Best Stretching to do?

Hello everyone,
I was wondering what the best stretching would be? I am very tight all over and its hard for me to stretch. I would like to know what would be the best ones to do on a daily basis to do to help me out?
Thank you,
Mark Cimoli
Old 11-10-2008, 03:27 AM   #2
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium
Re: What is the Best Strecthing to do?

Dear Mark,

I don't know if that helps you, and maybe I'm not even the best person to give advice (being made of very elastic material) - but did you ever try to stretch when already warmed up by exercise? Like, after having run, cycled etc.? I found out that it makes hell of a difference and that you get much more elastic when you don't go to the dojo right out of the office, your car or whatever, but when you go there doing already a bit of physical exertion on the way...if possible certainly.

Best regards,

Eva
Old 11-10-2008, 05:48 AM   #3
Nathan Wallace

Dojo: VA tenshinkai
United_States

Actually if your talking about stretching for more flexability it is a bad idea to try and accomplish this during class. It is my understanding that intense 'stretching' for a warmup has more negative effects than positive. That the stretching of muscle, tendon, and sinew has much the same effect as exercizing the muscles for strength that is creating tares and injuries to be rebuilt, however it seems that your tendons and sinew don't have that much tolerance for abuse so trying to stretch for flexability before training will result in an increased chance of injury. Instead a warmup should be just what the name implies, activating the muscles and moving things around a bit just get the blood flowing so to speak. If you want to become more flexible the best time to do this is after risk of injury has past for the day. One experienced martial artist I met said the best stretch training took place before bed and after a warm bath. Whatever you do, do it slowly.

Cpl. P. N. Wallace

Kijinkan school founder & instructor
Aikijujutsu
Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage ryu kenjutsu
Old 11-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
Beard of Chuck Norris
Dojo: Aberdeen Aikido Yuishinkai
United Kingdom

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sp...=1&oref=slogin
Old 11-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
Nathan Wallace

Dojo: VA tenshinkai
United_States
Re: What is the Best Stretching to do?

bad link

Cpl. P. N. Wallace

Kijinkan school founder & instructor
Aikijujutsu
Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage ryu kenjutsu
Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
C. David Henderson
United_States

Quote:
Paul Wallace wrote: View Post
Actually if your talking about stretching for more flexability it is a bad idea to try and accomplish this during class. It is my understanding that intense 'stretching' for a warmup has more negative effects than positive. That the stretching of muscle, tendon, and sinew has much the same effect as exercizing the muscles for strength that is creating tares and injuries to be rebuilt, however it seems that your tendons and sinew don't have that much tolerance for abuse so trying to stretch for flexability before training will result in an increased chance of injury. Instead a warmup should be just what the name implies, activating the muscles and moving things around a bit just get the blood flowing so to speak. If you want to become more flexible the best time to do this is after risk of injury has past for the day. One experienced martial artist I met said the best stretch training took place before bed and after a warm bath. Whatever you do, do it slowly.
These are, I think, good valid points, and they relate to the idea mentioned previously that for flexibility you should warm the muscles first before asking them to release in a stretch.

I've heard yoga instructors and rolfers (and others) talk about the connective tissue as being like taffy -- if you go slowly and the tissue is warm, and if you understand how to use your breathing to release the contraction of the involved muscles, this tissue will stretch over a period of daily training. Just like taffy, though, when cold this tissue tends to be brittle. And like taffy, it only will stretch slowly. Because this tissue has a more limited blood supply, moreover, injuries to it heal more slowly than injuries to muscle tissue.

(If you are interested, a form of Yoga called "Yin yoga" concentrates on very long slow stretches that are never at your "edge" in order to try and access this possibility.)

On a different point, while becoming "flexible" to some extent is useful given how Aikido training asks use our bodies, different people have different set points of flexibility, much the same as with other physiological markers (e.g., strength, power, or endurance).

People who are naturally very flexible don't usually ask about becoming more flexible. Ironically,however, such folks -- not I --have their own set of challenges in yoga about not hyperextending joints under a load.

Where ever one's current set point lies, its critical to respect your body (and it's signals to you) at all times when stretching -- liberate your body, don't conquer it.

In this context, I've come to believe my most useful "flexibility" conditioning is not just about increasing the length of say, my hamstrings (particularly as an isolated muscle structure).

My daily yoga practice has shifted over time to be more centered on structural rehabilitation/integration. For example, in a standing forward bend, I need to give my back body room to stretch by structural alignment and release of other muscles -- this is where the "contradictory force" aspect of yoga is very clear. If the middle of my hamstrings feel tight, as they did this morning, I reach upward towards the ceiling with the back of my pelvis (legs slightly bent) and then alow my breath to guide my legs towards being straight over the course of the stretch. This targets my whole "back body."

When my hamstrings are ready, they let go. (If you're interested, Iyengar yoga stresses careful alignment. It's founder stressed the idea of "non-violence" towards one's self as a tenant of practice.)

This different focus is, from my perspective, like the difference between using weight machines to increase strength of sequentially-targeted muscles through isolation, on the one hand, versus using free weights to increase strength by movements that recruit muscle tissue throughout the body in a (hopefully) coordinated way.

Without suggesting type of training is without value, they lead to a different type of body and a different way of moving.

For me, the isolated flexibility of different muscles is more of a "bell and whistle" that lets me know the basics are in order, not a goal in itself.

FWIW

David H
Old 11-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
Voitokas

United_States

This may sound dumb, but you might try taking a sauna (if they have such things in CA) or a hot shower and then rolling around on the floor in the morning (not aikido-type rolling, just lolloping about to loosen your body up. I find that if I stretch right after getting hot in the morning, I feel loose all day. I'm not naturally stiff, except in my back and hands some as I get older (sigh), but the same might help you...

I am not an expert
Old 11-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Quote:
Paul Wallace wrote: View Post
bad link
Try this link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sp...prod=permalink

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 11-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

Quote:
Mark Cimoli wrote: View Post
Hello everyone,
I was wondering what the best stretching would be?
There was a decent piece in the NY Times recently about how many of us have been taught to stretch in ways that kinesiology now says aren't as good for us... .

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!