Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Columns

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Comment

Column Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Niall Matthews AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
Username: niall

Japan
Improvised Weapons No. 1: The Umbrella

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/...7265a9f2_z.jpg
ukiyo-e: Click here to read the entire column

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog

Last edited by akiy : 03-26-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:09 AM   #25
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Improvised Weapons No. 1: The Umbrella

Cheers. I enjoyed that.

G.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:15 AM   #26
zivk

Dojo: Do-Gen-Do/Holon
Israel

Thanks a lot Niall, for your answer and the interesting quote of D T Suzuki. Yaron told me about this book and it seems I should find the time and read it.

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
I wonder if it's something to do with the translation. In Japanese that point is usually called mizu ochi or mizo ochi. In English we say solar plexus though, from latin - network of the sun.
A case of miss-translation is quite possible, although it is worth mentioning that in several occasions Tada sensei did correct the translator, at least the translation to German (The same person did the translation into German and English. It was truly amazing)
It seems to me that it's possible that this name to the solar plexus may be derived from Tada sensei's influence from Tempu Nakamura sensei. I should ask Yaron regarding this possibility.

BTW, the solar plexus is called in Hebrew "maf-te-a-ch ha-lev", which literally translates to English as the key of the heart.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #27
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

Quote:
Ziv Klausner wrote: View Post

BTW, the solar plexus is called in Hebrew "maf-te-a-ch ha-lev", which literally translates to English as the key of the heart.
That's very evocative.
A technical question, but is there an old hebrew word for the pericardium or some such related area?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #28
zivk

Dojo: Do-Gen-Do/Holon
Israel

Quote:
Oisin Bourke wrote: View Post
A technical question, but is there an old hebrew word for the pericardium or some such related area?
Quite to my embarrassment, I didn't hear of such an organ as the pericardium until you asked. However, I've checked and found out that in Hebrew it may be translated as one of the following:
מֵסַב הלב (me-sav ha-lev) literally the heart's bearing.
כיס הלב (kis ha-lev) literally the heart's pocket
קרום הלב (kroom ha-lev) literally the heart's membrane.

I should say that all these are modern Hebrew terms. I asked a friend who has a deep knowledge of the Bible and linguistics. He said that he is not aware of an old Hebrew term for this organ.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #29
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan

Thanks Joe. As everyone from the UK knows Glasgow is a hard, hard town - if you look at these stark and powerful photos of Glasgow from David Gillanders and check out the project information link at the bottom of the page it says Scotland is the most violent country in the developed world.

Thanks Diana and Graham and Ziv. Oisin too for continuing the discussion with your question and thanks for those links Carina and Jory.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog

Comment