Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-23-2004, 02:37 PM   #1
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States
dojo road trip

Hey folks,
I'm planning to drive across the US (MA to WA) in the spring and am thinking about making it a "dojo tour" of sorts, stopping at a new dojo each day to train and meet new folks. If there was somewhere I really like or have friends in the area I might stay for a few days or a week. I would be staying in my car or camping or crashing with friends.
I am in the USAF-Eastern Region (2nd kyu) and would probably be aiming mainly for similar dojos but would also visit any Aikikai style that I found myself near and perhaps even check out other styles along the way.
Has anyone every done this before? I'm excited about the possibility and am just looking for any feedback, suggestions, or stories that folks might have.
All the best,
Gaia

Old 11-23-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: dojo road trip

I haven't done it but if you do you are welcome to stop in and train with us.

We're in two towns in Michigan, Battle Creek and Kalamazoo. I doubt you'll be taking I-94 across but if you do it runs right through both towns.

We're not Aikikai, we're Seidokan, but we like everybody and you'd be most welcome If you make it on a Tuesday or Thursday night you could train at both places (which is what I do, train at one then head to the next town to teach)

If your travel plans bring you our way let me know and I'll get you a schedule and directions.

Bronson

p.s. It sounds really cool. If I were in a place/time that I could do it I would.

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 11-23-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
Mel Barker
Dojo: University of Louisville Aikido Club
United_States

Hi Gaia,

I've always thought something like that would be great fun. I've recently started traveling for my business, and I have trained in 9 different dojos in the past three months under 13 different instructors.

I met a lady once that visited every dojo in her association one summer. It sure makes going to seminars fun since you are always having a reunion with someone.

My Aikido travel dream is to find someone in a locale I'd like to vacation (Rocky) and see if they would be willing to host me sometime (Rocky). I of course would do the same for them. Since I live in Louisville, KY, I figured Derby time might be the most desired time to visit here. That's the first Saturday in May for those who don't pay attention to horse racing.

You are certainly welcome to visit us at the University of Louisville Aikido Club (http://uoflaikido.com). Be sure to stop at Aikido of Cincinnati if you travel this way as it's the largest dojo around these parts. And, keep us informed as to how your "dojo tour" progresses.

Cheers,

Mel
Old 11-23-2004, 04:47 PM   #4
Janet Rosen

The SF Bay Area is a hotbed of aikido but you are certainly most welcome to visit us at City Aikido http://www.cityaikido.com

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-23-2004, 08:31 PM   #5
Noel

Aikido of Central NY in Syracuse. I realize it's only 4 hours or so down the road from Mass, but Mehter Sensei is awe-inspiring.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:09 PM   #6
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States

Thanks for the invites, everybody! I don't even know what route I'll be taking yet (or if this is even really going to happen), but I'll hope to see some of you.
I'm still curious if anyone has done this kind of thing before and if you have any good stories, so keep it coming!
Gaia

Old 11-24-2004, 04:36 PM   #7
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

A fellow Aikiwebber came to our dojo a few months ago doing the same thing. He's traveling around the world and stopping in at dojos at every stop. Unfortunately, Japan was the first stop on his list so he didn't have any good stories to tell yet <wry grin>. He landed in Tokyo about 5 hours before class...and he still made it!

Hopefully he'll share his stories with us all once he finds time to get back online. I can't remember how long his trip was supposed to last, but I think he should be back home soonish.

I envy both you and him for being able to take the time to make a dojo road trip. I am sure it will be an amazing and insightful experience.

Good Luck!

...and if you get lost traveling between MA and WA and somehow end up in Japan you're more than welcome to drop by

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs