Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
sunrod
Dojo: Reading Zenshin Aikido Club
United Kingdom
Becoming a living katana

I've written a couple of articles & I'd be interested to hear what people think.

The first one illustrates the importance of accurate hanmi:
http://www.aikido-reading.co.uk/Jase...ing-katana.php

& the second one offers hints & tips for beginners:
http://www.aikido-reading.co.uk/Jase...-beginners.php

Cheers
J.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Becoming a living katana

"
You write: "Athletes stretch to enable their body to perform properly. If you're going to participate in a physical activity like aikido, I'd advise you to stretch. By taking the time to stretch, not only will you become more supple & less prone to injury but you will also gain a better understanding of your body. You'll have a better understanding of your posture, where you hold tension & how the parts of your body are connected."

Stretching before activity has never been shown in any study to have a positive affect on performance. Stretching cold muscles, prior to warming up, *might* predispose to microtears and eventually pulls. It is only stretching after activity that is now recommended by most sports coaches.

However, in aikido dojos, the terms "warm up" and "stretch" are used synonomously. The exercises usually done are a combination of range of motion activities, in which muscle groups are moved through their full normal range of movement, and actual stretching. A real warmup, which is a very beneficial thing, will get the body moving and the muscles warmed and will include large movements and range of motion.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
C. David Henderson
United_States

All this is both true and a good point. I'm not sure if Jason was in fact advocating the usual "stretch-at-the-beginning-of-class" regimen, though.

I noted this language immediately following the statement already quoted:

"Taking time to learn your own body outside the dojo where you can study yourself at your own pace, while you're relaxed & 'still will be a big help when it comes to adding movement or another body into the mix."

So, I took him as advocating stretching as a part of solo practice (to be preceded, ideally, by a warm up (?)).

I think this is also good advice, myself.

Regards,

cdh
Old 07-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Janet Rosen

David, you are right. I just felt that the nonspecificity of the advice could be easily interpreted as the "standard" which is IMO unhealthy.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
lbb
United_States

Yeah, what Janet said. The practice of stretching while cold is ubiquitous, and I think that's what most people will think you mean if you talk about "stretching".

I have a sempai who likes to warm up class with four or five easy runthroughs of the 31 jo kata. It's a great way to warm up.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:10 AM   #6
Dusko Bojic

Sweden

Quote:
Stretching before activity has never been shown in any study to have a positive affect on performance. Stretching cold muscles, prior to warming up, *might* predispose to microtears and eventually pulls. It is only stretching after activity that is now recommended by most sports coaches.
This was very helpful, thank you. I was actually going to start a new thread about it but then I found this one.

"Accepting what Is. You don't try to change it. You don't run from it and you don't try to fight with it. You just accept it and embrace it."Aikido
Old 07-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #7
sunrod
Dojo: Reading Zenshin Aikido Club
United Kingdom

Hi all. Thanks for the feedback.

I am actually talking about including stretching as part of an overall training regime.

I'll look at editing the piece to clarify this.

J.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
Suru
United_States

The katana is a deadly weapon made to slice, pierce or both, and to kill. This "becoming a living katana" must be studied, thought through, and fully comprehended as the delicate metaphor it is. If I became a living blob of C4 plastic explosives, sure I could enter and submit the attacker, but at what cost?

Drew
Old 07-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

What a wonderful piece of work. I think it'll help a lot of people to understand or start to understand kihon in Aikido.

Also, this is the 2nd time I heard someone say there is only push in Aikido ... "Most of the time in aikido we push. There's very little pulling. We generally get our body in a position where we can drive with our hips transmitting this power through our arms."

If I remember correctly, Osensei says there is no pull or push in Aikido. I suppose that doesn't leave much room for us to move but I then we always have circular movement, leading, awase, connection, irimi and etc.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
Suru
United_States

By "no pull or push," O'Sensei might have meant not to force anything. Ideally, nage flows smoothly with uke; nage moves with no resistance.

Drew
Old 07-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Quote:
Drew Gardner wrote: View Post
By "no pull or push," O'Sensei might have meant not to force anything.
I don't think that does more than scratch the surface. I also sincerely doubt he would drive with the hips. -Rob
Old 07-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
Abasan
Malaysia

I agree with Rob. But maybe its a question of terminology and how we understand what push or pull means.

By mine, it means an action that causes unnecessary 'force' onto uke to make him compliant. As opposed to just leading uke's energy.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #13
dps

Quote:
Ahmad Abas wrote: View Post

If I remember correctly, Osensei says there is no pull or push in Aikido. I suppose that doesn't leave much room for us to move but I then we always have circular movement, leading, awase, connection, irimi and etc.
" instead the principle is "ENTER when pulled, and TURN when pushed."

from the book, Aikido. Kisshomaru Ueshiba. Hozansha Publications. 1985.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:02 AM   #14
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Personally, in spite of the source, I think that also just scratches the surface as well. But it is a good starting place...IF you maintain your structure while doing it. IF you have a structure to maintain, that is...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 07-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #15
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post

David
Why? why not stay where you are and make uke goes somewhere else regardless if uke pushes or pulls.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #16
Suru
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post

from the book, Aikido. Kisshomaru Ueshiba. Hozansha Publications. 1985.

David
This makes much sense to me, even with such a simple example of uke grabbing katate-dori and pushing inward to close the gap. Then nage "tenkans." How in the world have I missed this book? I must purchase it soon. The year sounds familiar though, are you talking about "The Spirit of Aikido" by Ueshiba K.?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #17
dps

Quote:
Drew Gardner wrote: View Post
This makes much sense to me, even with such a simple example of uke grabbing katate-dori and pushing inward to close the gap. Then nage "tenkans." How in the world have I missed this book? I must purchase it soon. The year sounds familiar though, are you talking about "The Spirit of Aikido" by Ueshiba K.?
http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Ja...0406299#reader

Another good book, Aikido & The Dynamic Sphere by A. Westbrook & O. Ratti

http://www.amazon.com/Aikido-Dynamic.../dp/0804800049

David

Last edited by dps : 07-28-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #18
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

This is a great book. Highly recommended.
My Sensei has a first printing of this book (signed by the Nidai Doshu himself) which was published before the split with Tohei Sensei. I opened it one day and discovered that a lot of the pictures that showed Chiba Sensei in the 1985 edition originally showed Tohei Sensei in the first edition.

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 07-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #19
Suru
United_States

Thanks for the link. The cover does look remotely familiar. I'm glad it had the "look inside" option, and I am not going to buy it. Detailed descriptions of technique don't help me all that much for some reason, so I lean toward the spiritual and philosophical texts.

Drew
Old 07-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #20
Abasan
Malaysia

Personally I would recommend Osensei's Secret of Aikido for your reading. Its not about techniques, but the philosophy behind Aikido's spirituality and its undertaking.

There is no push or pull when you are one with your opponent by the way.