Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-09-2006, 11:08 AM   #26
dps

Re: First month of aikido

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step
A journey of a thousand miles start with a single waza.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:54 PM   #27
krammer
Dojo: Aikido of Jacksonville
United_States

Quote:
Eric Webber wrote:
I learned it was a long road, but a worthwhile one.
Ten years later I have the same opinion.
Enjoy your journey.
West Reading bring back the years. I am fairly new to Aikido but sorry to say West Reading is where I have set records for swimmimng as BLue Falls, North West Pool and of course Reading y which burned down many years ago. I welcome you all to aikido becuase it is an excellent ride to and around our planet.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #28
Tom Johnson
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk

Hey all,
Had my second Aikido lesson today (first was yesterday). I'm loving it so far! I tried out the Aikido classes through my university (Old Dominion), but when i got there the instructor (Mr. Hamada) was on a loudspeaker and everything was far too boot-campish for me. Tried out a local dojo and it has a great atmosphere and I'm already hooked!

Only downside thus far is that i can't walk up or down stairs anymore, nor do anything else involving muscles....I'm so sore!

Old 05-10-2006, 01:23 AM   #29
Mathew Cartwright
United Kingdom
Smile Re: First month of aikido

thanks for the responses everyone i appreciate it.

so i went along and it was amazing. i really enjoyed myself, i felt like i had two left legs and 2 right arms, but every partner i had was extrememly patient and helpfull. i learned how to fall properly (still need a lot of practice) along with walking from your center and a couple of techniques. later we practiced walking and cutting movements with a Bokken? which i had not expected.

there was an incredible amount of stuff to take in, my head is still trying to assimilate all the info.

thankfully i am not sore because i am quite active at the gym anyway, plus the relaxation massages we did at the end of class were well done.

thanks again, next tuesday cant come quick enough.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:40 AM   #30
Suwariwazaman
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati
United_States

Hello, I just want to say my first experience was great. The people are very friendly and helpful. I enjoy every class. Yes sometimes it is fustrating, and sore, but after a while you start to really learn.I started out rolling, sitting, and some basic techniques. I was not subjected to breakfalls right away. They would be very patient, and understanding. I have been back for a few weeks after a small break. Not any bones, I mean I had to leave for a while. I wish I had never left. I agree this is not just a sport, I t is a way of life. Best regards and Have fun! Welcome!

Jamie
Old 05-13-2006, 11:12 AM   #31
stuarttheobald
Dojo: Shoshinkai
United Kingdom

this might help...doesnt actually talk about techniques but it is a diary one of our guys kept when he first started....

http://www.shoshinkai.co.uk/diary/index.html

Stu

Old 05-15-2006, 02:47 AM   #32
Mathew Cartwright
United Kingdom

thanks stuart, i have read upto diary 9, its pretty interesting.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:15 AM   #33
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

It was very hard for me. My sensei would just walk over to me and move my body like an action figure to get me to do anything remotely resembling aikido.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:42 AM   #34
ksy
Malaysia
Smile Re: First month of aikido

Quote:
Lyle Bogin wrote:
It was very hard for me. My sensei would just walk over to me and move my body like an action figure to get me to do anything remotely resembling aikido.
sorry to hear that, lyle. i'm starting soon(in 2 days) actually after a lot of thought and reading. decided to join this school (seishinkai aikikai aikido) near my place as the instructor just "seemed more right" compared to some of the others that i visited. The others were cool 2 but i just felt more on the wavelength with this instructor than with the others as he took the time to address my concerns (slowing the class down), told me what to expect in terms of intensity of training, requested that i join in for a lesson first before i decided, etc. even tho this school that i'm joining has a more "worn down" dojo than the others, i just feel it's a righter choice, maybe i'm hoping that the humble surroundings will lower my hostile/bossy attitude.

thx also to all who encouraged us newbies to stay for at least a month! my first time at a dojo was a confusing time cause it seems real easy in movies that i've seen (marked for death, above the law, under siege etc) but when i was doing it, whew....
Old 05-31-2006, 06:04 AM   #35
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

I have slightly improved since then, thank the kami
Old 05-31-2006, 07:17 AM   #36
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Mathew Cartwright wrote:
thanks for the responses everyone i appreciate it.

so i went along and it was amazing. i really enjoyed myself, i felt like i had two left legs and 2 right arms, but every partner i had was extrememly patient and helpfull. i learned how to fall properly (still need a lot of practice) along with walking from your center and a couple of techniques. later we practiced walking and cutting movements with a Bokken? which i had not expected.

there was an incredible amount of stuff to take in, my head is still trying to assimilate all the info.

thankfully i am not sore because i am quite active at the gym anyway, plus the relaxation massages we did at the end of class were well done.

thanks again, next tuesday cant come quick enough.
Hi Matthew,

Anyone from St Helens dragging you down to Milton Keynes on Sunday?

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 05-31-2006, 07:32 AM   #37
Leslie Leoni
Dojo: AKR Martial Arts/Greenville, Texas
United_States

I had no previous MA training when I started Aikido in April of this year. At first I learned to FALL - very important to learn correctly! (trust me, if you fall wrong - it hurts!) Then rolls and onto footwork. It's sorta slow at first.. but you have to learn the basics before you can start learning techniques. Once you get the falls, rolls and footwork down - the techniques start to make sense when you are observing more experienced members of your class. Eventually it all starts to make sense. Listen carefully to the instructors directions and observe closely - most of all enjoy your experience!
Old 06-07-2006, 04:50 AM   #38
Mathew Cartwright
United Kingdom

hi bryan

sorry i did not reply, i have not been on this forum for about a week so i missed your post.

unfortunately the milton keynes course was a little bit too far away for me, i will be attending the one in altrincham come september though.

i am now through my first month of aikido, i signed in last night and realised it was 5weeks ago i started!

i cant believe how much i love aikido, it is wonderful to be able to focus my mind on it and nothing else for 3 hours(even if i do have trouble sleeping afterwards). much of the stuff is a lot easier now, like tenkan and eremi tenkan etc. some of the techniques seem to sink in once i have applied them, though i sometimes watch sensei and then when it is our turn to do it, my mind goes a liitle blank one of the sensei paid me a complement when he said, that he could not feel the strenght in my arm as i was applying the techniques, he said this was good as most newcomers, over grip or twist or tighten far too much. i was pleased he told me that, it means a lot.

today i am pretty sore, we were practising sankyo? and my arm would have made a pretty good corkscrew !

we also did some basic rolling, i struggled a bit getting my head out of the way whilst throwing the right leg over the left shoulder and vice versa when rolling backwards, but i got the front rolls down, since i have been practising those.
it was also ridiculously hot in the dojo last night so we were all pretty sweaty.

i am so looking forward to next tuesday, we will be applying techniques following on from the things we learned last night.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:00 AM   #39
dps

Quote:
Mathew Cartwright wrote:
though i sometimes watch sensei and then when it is our turn to do it, my mind goes a liitle blank
This is a very common occurence. I am glad you are enjoying it.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:17 AM   #40
crbateman

Good for you, Mathew! Keep it up. Looks like you have a bright future.