Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Interview with Aikido Shihan Nobuyuki Watanabe, Part 2

"So if you think “what is Aikido?”, in the end it must be to know yourself, to live your life."

From "Interview with Aikido Shihan Nobuyuki Watanabe, Part 2"

Enjoy!

Chris

Old 11-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
JW

Re: Interview with Aikido Shihan Nobuyuki Watanabe, Part 2

Thanks again, good to see these translations being published. There are 2 interesting things here that I specifically think are worth discussing:

1. The breath-training thing. Watanabe describes O-sensei's description, an account that is worthwhile in and of itself. Then, he also describes his own (quite literal) interpretation of that description. The differences between them are interesting too. I'm specifically thinking of the "out and in at the same time" idea, and the description of the hands.
There was a picture of O-sensei that I thought was posted on aikiweb, and I thought it was posted by Ellis Amdur with a pretty in-depth discussion of what his hands indicated (one was flared open and one was closed, despite the fact that this was a posed photo in seiza, where normally they would both be the same). I just can't find that photo or discussion at all, for some reason. Anyway I thought of that photo and its meaning when I read this. These photos are all I could find, and they are similar. (The first one may in fact be the photo I was thinking of, but it is NOT the article I was thinking of.)

The above http://malik-san.ru/wp-content/galle...e-v/uesiba.jpg is from this website.

The above http://www.hafos.no/html_dokumenter/...eiportret2.jpg is from this website.

(BTW, both these photos show left open and right closed, which is exactly consistent with what is said in this interview, from my point of view: inhale = sucking in = "closing" motion, exhale = spewing out = "opening" motion.)

2. The "iron ball" / "golden ball" thing. Personally, I don't think it is contentious to say that as long as you retain the ability to move freely, feeling "heavy" is a good thing, martially. It means, an attacker has a hard time affecting you. So that should be considered a good thing, if your only consideration were to become a good martial artist. So this story may be an example of O-sensei saying that it is important to consider not just what is good for you, but what kind of training is good for your partners ("You're just practicing for yourself," meaning, you are correctly making yourself better, but that doesn't help others.)

I think it is interesting to suggest that although something may be a positive thing for you, the "right" thing to do may be to consciously tone it down. (Here, the reason is for the sake of others' training.) Such a suggestion may be easy to misinterpret as "doing that is wrong, so don't do it," rather than the correct, "doing that is great, and it is correct for improving your skill and strength, but there are other considerations, so tone it down."
Old 11-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

his right hand used to hold a fan, methink. i wouldn't read to much into it. soon we would start to think his fingers were showing the vulcan salute.

i thought the iron ball/golden ball thingy involve tying something heavy to your crotch. i don't think that would be in-line with "keep the one point".

Last edited by phitruong : 11-02-2013 at 06:25 PM.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 11-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
jamie yugawa

Dojo: Sapporo
Japan

When I practiced at Nippon Kan, Homma Sensei pointed out his closed hand and open hand in the portrait. I dont remember specifically what he said but, he stated the importance of his hands in the picture. Homma Sensei descriptively called the closed hand an "pine cone". He said the closed hand was used in kaeshi waza to reverse techniques.

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
Old 11-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
JW

Quote:
Jamie Yugawa wrote: View Post
Homma Sensei descriptively called the closed hand an "pine cone". He said the closed hand was used in kaeshi waza to reverse techniques.
Very interesting, thanks!

Then I wonder if he would have called the open hand "the plum blossom" and suggested it is used to produce irimi, or something like that...
Old 11-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Chris Li

United_States

Now available in Romanian, courtesy of Aikido Jurnal. The original English version appears here.

Best,

Chris

Old 02-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
Chris Li

United_States

Now available in Spanish, courtesy of Aikido en línea - the original English version is available here.

Best,

Chris