Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-26-2005, 08:46 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
"Martial Arts Can Benefit Runners"

Posted 2005-10-26 08:46:12 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://www.recordonline.com/archive/...6/losport0.htm

Here's an article I found entitled, "Martial Arts Can Benefit Runners" which talks about the body awareness developed in aikido being used for runners.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
ajbarron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai
Re: "Martial Arts Can Benefit Runners"

As a long time runner, 38 years, and a short time martial artist of 11 years, and a 54 and a 1/2 year old fart, I agree wholeheartedly with this article. Runner's would benefit from martial arts.

Since reading a book many years ago by an Australian coach of runners ( Percey Cerutty whom coached world class runners from Australia ) who first had the audacity to talk about the mind body connection way back in the sixties, I have experimented with many forms of imagery and breath control while running.

I find on some days I am simply pounding holes in the ground but when I focus on my center, and visualize my center flowing as I run my running becomes more of a fluid movement.( Sometimes this even works on the mat!!!)

Now my contention.

Martial artists should run

I don't want to go into all the cross training and specificity of activity arguments because I've been through those many times as a runner, and martial artist, and coach, but I have a concern about many practitioners of our art.

I know someone will come back with the old you only need good technique argument and that with proper technique it should be effortless and therefore requires less aerobic or anaerobic fitness,
( I do agree to a certain extent at a certain point in one's development as a MA person)......but when training, as an example randori, it certainly helps to have a good conditioning base. It also is useful to recover quickly to perform repeatedly and reduce the breakdown in skills that come with fatigue.

In that vein we, and I use the royal we, need to get in better shape.

Now I'm waiting, and expecting, all you aerobic and non aerobic animals to tell me how hard your practices are etc, etc. but have you ever been frustrated with a Uke who can only do five or six repeats before they need to pause to catch their breath!

So people get out there and run.

This will allow us to play longer, recover faster and learn more.

Here endeth the sermon.

I await you response.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:32 PM   #3
Berney Fulcher
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

I agree 100% that running helps any martial art. I'm currently going through a non-running period of time, and I can really tell the difference in my class stamina.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States

....except when it is medically counter-indicated, YES, I AGREE!

If nothing else, it would tire us out so that we would be less likely to muscle our way through teechniques, and might learn to blend more effectively....
Old 10-26-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
MattRice
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido

Hurts my knees, can't practice the next day or two. I jump rope, do heavy bag etc.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:33 PM   #6
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Matt Rice wrote:
Hurts my knees, can't practice the next day or two. I jump rope, do heavy bag etc.
If it hurts your knees it just means that, like any other exercise, you need to gradually condition your body. Try walking at first and then short jogs. It can take from 6 months to a year to condition your body and legs for running, depending upon your age and physical condition. Most problems arise because people don't put in enough time on the front end.

For straight up endurance and leg strength it's pretty hard to find anything that beats running.

Best,

Chris

Old 10-26-2005, 09:56 PM   #7
jk

Quote:
Matt Rice wrote:
It may be the shoes. Good shoes make a real difference for me.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:19 PM   #8
NixNa

I had a bad knee which took me out of boxing (and skipping) for almost 6 months. I figured it probably came from too much skipping and possibly too much of it in too short a period. I have to say that period was hell for me since i had to basically take a break from the most of the arts.

and like they say, "take care of ur knees and they'll take care of you."