Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-10-2005, 08:01 AM   #51
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Re: Kata Training and Aikido

Quote:
Jorgen Matsi wrote:
IMO Shu Ha Ri is a counterproductive approach in MA learning and belongs to the history books alongside other interesting japanese cultural phenomenons.
Shu-ha-ri is not only NOT countrproductive to traditional budo training, it is essential.

See my post above about CQB, however. If you goal is combative skill, yes, shu-ha-ri may indeed not be the path for you. If you want to learn trad. budo, however, it is part and parcel of the methodology and systemology of the practice.

Even, however, in the unarmed combatives a taught in modern militaries (the US Army's current method is based deeply in BJJ), students FIRST learn via kata, then move that basic knowledge of technique application into free-play.

In order to train lots of people how to deal with physical violence rapidly and efficiently, there are much better methods than those of traditional budo.

But to learn traditional budo, there is no better method than learn-integrate-break, as embodied in the kata-based systems of aikido, judo, kendo, et al.

As far as talking combat-effective vs trad. MA, it's an apples-oranges thing.

Chuck

Old 08-10-2005, 10:15 AM   #52
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I agree so much with what Chuck wrote, I'll just leave it at that.

Fighting is fighting, budo is something else. You decide for yourself if it is less or more.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #53
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia

Okay fellas... I think it's time for another topic
Old 08-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #54
Roy
Canada

Re: "Traditional budo" and "Fighting art"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that a budo that encompasses a "little" kata for self study etc... Will encourage both, a combat effectiveness, and strengthen, and/or distill a greater understanding of form. I also think that self study with kata form, will encourage a calmer state of mind; similar, to yoga, etc... But evidently, there is always dojos that are, and always will focus to much on kata; thus, those dojos will probably lack in combat effectiveness. You need a good balance
Old 08-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #55
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi Roy,

Quote:
But evidently, there is always dojos that are, and always will focus to much on kata; thus, those dojos will probably lack in combat effectiveness.
Afraid I disagree on that statement. Yoshinkan aikido has a relatively heavy focus on kata. It has been said by many that it's effectiveness is fairly strong. You also mention kata for 'self study', but in aikido, kata is not 'self study' in the sense that there is a partner. Ebudo has some interesting thoughs on kata in aikido here:

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...ht=kata+shioda

Diane Skoss has some interesting thoughts on the same topic here:

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article.php?articleID=5

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #56
Roy
Canada

Oops! I think I'm getting confused with the term kata. I see kata as doing a set memorized forms by yourself. Please disregard my post.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:11 AM   #57
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States

I would like to announce that after some profound meditation over a bottle of coke that I have uncovered the true purpose of kata...they are simply supposed to look good when preformed with a partner to dramatic music like "Eye of the Tiger". That is the entirety of it.