Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-29-2006, 04:03 AM   #1
tiago
United Kingdom
Smile Think different

Hi all,

I made a couple of images of O'Sensei in the spirit of the old Apple campaign.
I thought that he could have fitted the group oh so well...
you can find them at:

http://home.att.ne.jp/banana/tiago/aikidesk.html

just wanted to share it.
cheers!
Old 09-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #2
MikeLogan

United_States
Re: Think different

I like them. Two classic images, but I was half-expecting some photo-shoppery. The lack of it adds elegance through simplicity, but if I recall that particular ad campaign would have relied on the picture telling the whole story of thinking differently. O Sensei, while rather popular around these parts and known for his very different take on the martial traditions from whence he sired our Aikido, is not so well visually well known, as, say, Gandhi, or, Van Gogh.

Otherwise, if I was an apple user (nothing against them), They would certainly be printed and hanging near my computer space. Thanks for daring, and for sharing!

michael.

Happy Friday everyone.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
crbateman

The impish expression on O'Sensei's face in the second photo makes it one of my all-time favorites.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Kevin Wilbanks

Sorry, but while that advertising campaign was clever, I see it as a banal trivialization of the people used in it and their achievements - surely none of them would have consented to being in the campaign if they were alive. Equating the iconoclasm of great historical painters, statesmen, and teachers with buying a different kind of computer may have been successful at selling products or winning advertising awards, but the idea is ridiculous, if not offensive - choosing an Apple over a PC is just a pedestrian consumer choice that doesn't signify much more than choosing a Coke over a Pepsi.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
MikeLogan

United_States

Well boo hoo, to you, too.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:14 PM   #6
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

I like the idea, but as a graphic designer, I have to give it two sankyo pins down for execution.

Also, shouldn't this be in the Humour section?

p.s
Making this stuff does look fun though. Anyone have any ideas for me to create?
Old 09-30-2006, 10:15 PM   #7
tiago
United Kingdom

thanks for your replies

Roman, I would really like to hear what do you find wrong. And if you want please make them again, but right!

I have to clarify that I`m not an Apple fan, I personally prefer Linux (although I do have one mac)
also, I can understand Kevin as I thought the same at some point
I'm not american, so maybe I don't fully understand the "mac vs. pc" war, and I saw the tv add only a couple of years ago, and really moved me, but didn't make me think about computers. Then I saw some tv series were a guy breaks up with his girlfriend because she bought a pc (!) and I thought that was ridiculous, and he was stupid
so...
I think that the campain had two parts: the statement, and the commercial

I do agree a lot about the statement ("the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world... are the ones who do") and I believe O'Sensei was such a person, like the others in the group.

But of course there's a company that used it for profit (they only got a little, in fact). And that's the second part. And it is a minus to have to use Apple's logo to convey the statement. But I take it that the idea has trascended the company, and the logo can be seen as an icon on its own, if you want.

That's my point of view and I won't try to convince anyone about it. I just like to think about the idea itself and don't think I should buy a certain brand of computers to prove it (that, in fact, would go against the idea itself, wouldn't it?) So, sorry if I didn't explain myself, and I understand if you disagree. I hope you can understand my perspective.

Finally, sorry if this was the worng place to post it, I just wasn't sure.

happy weekend to all
Old 10-01-2006, 06:42 AM   #8
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Santiago Torres wrote:
I have to clarify that I`m not an Apple fan
i am!
Quote:
Santiago Torres wrote:
happy weekend to all
Thanks, I plan on a happy weekend as i am on my way to George Ledyard's seminar in Redlands this morning.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:59 PM   #9
graham

Dojo: Northampton Ki Aikido Club
United Kingdom

I love 'em! :-) (But then, I'm an Apple fan!)

You also wanna check out these variations on the Ipod adverts.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

There's nothing particularly *wrong* with it, it's just dull and unimaginative. All you did was stick an logo over a B&W pic of O-Sensei. As someone else said, I was expecting abit of clever photoshopping.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #11
tiago
United Kingdom

hi again,

it's nice to hear that some liked them thanks Graham for the link, that's really clever Photoshoping and very imaginative! I really liked it.
As for myself, I`m ok being plain.
Roman: I know this is not very creative or anything, but for me the connection was obvious, and still I hadn't seen it anywhere, so I decided to share it. The rest is explained above

cheers!

(BTW, the images do have some Gimp'ing, but it's not so visible)