Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-03-2016, 01:29 AM   #1
turbonis
Dojo: Cagayan Aikido Dojo
Philippines
Debating between aikido styles.

HI guys, we've been practicing 2 styles here, the aikikai and iwama style. Personally i like iwama style more. now the problem is that, there's always a discussion on which is better during our practice. Do you think this is bad or good? please enlighten me guys. thanks .
Old 09-03-2016, 02:37 AM   #2
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Debating between aikido styles.

How do you do that.

One night Iwama, one night Aikikai. Same or different teachers.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 09-03-2016, 03:10 AM   #3
turbonis
Dojo: Cagayan Aikido Dojo
Philippines

omote aikikai, ura iwama. most of the time.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:54 AM   #4
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States

Until a relatively short while ago, Iwama was under the Aikikai umbrella. 2003? My understanding is that is was mostly over a specific Aiki weapons curriculum? Please someone correct me if I am wrong on that.

Aikikai has been the most nebulously defined of the styles in my experience. Fellow Aikikai dojos use different test requirements, terminology, and gravitate to different variations. A competitive spirit can exist between fellow Aikikai schools, or students will be suggested to avoid going to certain dojos of "the same style."

Knowledge is power; go ahead and learn. I am at an American Aikikai dojo now, and I come from an Aikikai lineage Canadian dojo. I will get students talk about the "differences." It drives me up the wall.

If the class stops to debate in midstream for students to debate the variations, not in terms of movement or effectiveness but in terms of politics, I do tell them to shut up. I regard it as pathetic and ill informed, and the worst offenders themselves are the one's who suffer for it. Go for a beer after class and then ask questions. On the mat, shut up and practice. No one can win these debates, no one develops better skills for them.

Do your teachers who teach different styles attend each other's classes? Are they encouraging the debates to happen or starting the debates? Are factions being encouraged to develop? I've not seen a dojo survive when debate and lecture replace sweat and effort. Even with multiple styles on the mat, all the students should grow. I draw on three styles when I teach and I borrow ideas from two more schools, and I never bother to share where the dividing lines are.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #5
sorokod
United Kingdom

Saito Morihiro sensei was a member of the Aikikai, the Iwama dojo (aka O Sensei's dojo aka Shibu dojo) was and still is an Aikikai dojo and the dan ranks he awarded were Aikikai ranks. About a year after Saito Morihiro's death in 2002, his son, Saito Hitohiro, established an independent group outside of Aikikai - ShinShin Aiki Shurenkai. Some of Saito Morihiro sensei's students choose to remain with Aikikai while others joined ShinShin Aiki Shurenkai.

As for substance, Iwama style is different from what is sometimes called "Aikikai house style" and in my opinion practicing both concurrently is counterproductive.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Oh. This is like a thread from 2002.
Aikikai is not a style, it´s an organisation. Iwama style is basically the teachings of Morihiro Saito and is today transmitted both inside and outside of the Aikikai.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #7
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
Saito Morihiro sensei was a member of the Aikikai, the Iwama dojo (aka O Sensei's dojo aka Shibu dojo) was and still is an Aikikai dojo and the dan ranks he awarded were Aikikai ranks.
Saito awarded both regular Aikikai ranks and Iwama Ryu dan ranks in tai jutsu as well as non Aikikai ranks in Iwama bukiwaza. Ex Paolo Corallini and Ulf Evenås was promoted to 7th dan shihan in Iwama Ryu Aikido while being only 6th dan within the Aikikai.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #8
sorokod
United Kingdom

I did say dan ranks to avoid the subject of the weapons scrolls, but you are right, he did award Iwama ryu dan grades in parallel to Aikikai - dont think it lasted long or that many were issued.