Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-19-2006, 08:26 AM   #1
mgershfeld
Dojo: Aikido of Westchester
United_States
Where can I order Hemp Gi?

I know some of you have ordered a Hemp Gi feom CA. What is the email/web site to contact Machiko? Thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
Tom Liauw

Dojo: CSUN Kodokai
United_States
Re: Where can I order Hemp Gi?

There an older thread about this.
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...highlight=hemp
Old 04-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Jack Simpson
Dojo: Western Maryland Aikikai - Frederick, Maryland
Location: hangin' with the tengu in the "mountains" of Maryland

The last email I have for Machiko is: machiko@saber.net

She was great to work with. One word of caution, I asked her to double-line the pants and they ended up being too thick to train in. This wasn't her fault at all, as a matter of fact the pants are so tough, I use them for gardening, chopping wood, etc. It turns out that the pants already have an inner liner, so they are already like double-weave judo pants to begin with.

Just take measurements on a current gi . I added some extra length on the gi jacket to make sure it would stay tucked in the hakama. Got the top in my bag for training tonight as a matter of fact. Great gi. Not white and fluffy, but very strong, warm and comfortable.

There was some discussion awhile back about all this and some other vendors as well. I'm sure a search would call it up.

Cheers,
Jack
Old 06-27-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Timothy Tikker
Dojo: Huron Valley Aikikai
United_States

Hi,

I just posted this on another area of the Supplies forum, re hemp dogi:

http://www.rawganique.com/Dept-Mens...ket-samui-e.htm

http://www.rawganique.com/PantsKarate.htm

This is a dogi set in organic hemp/cotton. The pants are also availale in oragnic hemp/flax linen. You can look at my other posting for more details.

I haven't tried these yet, but I have some of their other products and enjoy them

- Tim Tikker
Old 06-27-2006, 09:25 AM   #5
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

http://www.ssfgear.com/index.cfm?fus...80&product=193

Quote:
Top: 100% hemp 12 oz. canvas weave. most gis are 15 to 25 oz. per linear foot.
the cut is similar to a Krugans top with the seam being on the chest and running under the arms. It is form fitted and looks very sleek. the collar is about 3/8 of an inch thick. Thinner than Atama, HCK and Gameness.

Pants: 55% hemp/45% cotton. 10.5 oz. twill weave.(similar to Mkimonos weave)
This fabric was picked because the cotton allows for more flexibilty in the legs
Yet keeping the strength of hemp.(hemp does not stretch) and it has a lot of reinforced areas for more durability.the Belt and collar of the gi are also made from this weave.

Why Hemp?

Hemp is 4 x's stronger than cotton, making it possible for me to make a much lighter fabric. perfect for hot weather.
Hemp fiber is very porous(many holes under magnification) when you sweat, it absorbs it,as air passes through the fabric it helps to cool you much better than cotton. Also in cold weather it retains body heat.
Hemp is known as an anti-microbial fiber. Which means mold and fungus can't continue to live and breed once it has reached the surface of the fabric.
Hemp also gets softer with each wash yet keeping its strength.