Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-19-2005, 12:37 AM   #26
oudbruin
Dojo: Independent
United_States
Re: "Islam is peace"

Saddly, more murder has been commited in the name of god, or allah, or whateve religious diety is the flavor of the month than stalin, hitler and nero combined ever achieved.
religious fundamentalism is so often blurred with politics that the "true believer" often misses the message of peace and brotherhood, which is basic to all the worlds religions.
as for those assholes in irag who are beheading noncombattants- they are a disgrace to the sword community and to islam.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:27 AM   #27
Johann Yaeger
Dojo: Musubi Ryu Hamilton
New Zealand

I have some muslim friends and they are of the opinion that Jews are "bad" ie Palestine. So therefore blowing up Jews and whoever else gets in the way is just fine. There will never be peace in the middle east or anywhere for that matter so long as Jews, Christians and Muslims live in close proximity to one another. What is peace and can man truly understand it let alone manufacture it.

We are constantly at war and occasionally there is an outbreak of peace!
Old 02-01-2005, 10:06 AM   #28
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States

Even though I'm staunchly on the side of the Israelis, I'm for everybody having a homeland over there, IF it helps them coexist. Jordan should match Israel acre for acre any land they stake off for Palestine. They could use Jerusalem as the dividing point, with the land east of it, (extending an equal distance into Jordan) designated as the new Palestine.

I think everyone in the world can live in peace, given the proper perspective. That peace breaks out even occasionally proves it CAN happen. We just have to work on shortening the intervals in-between.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #29
garry cantrell
United_States

john,

i disagree - i think jews, muslims and christians should live in closer proximity. here's why: it is far too easy to hate a group, and a lot tougher to hate an individual. the staunchest racist may well have a friend or associate that he declines to include in the group he hates - offering something along the lines of "he's not like those other _____________(fill in the blank ethnic group)" as a rationale. the truth of the matter is not that the friend is different, rather he is perceived differently because there has been an opportunity to get to know the individual. individuals are brimming with great qualities, and once those are recognized, its a lot harder to hate the person.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:53 PM   #30
Johann Yaeger
New Zealand

[quote=Garry Cantrell]john,

i disagree - i think jews, muslims and christians should live in closer proximity.
Should is a nice point to make but not a valid reason to disagree I believe. I was not saying that there should not be peace in the Middle East I was stating fact. These groups live together and work together, play, talk and hate together. Each other even. The chances of breaking into another culture whilst retaining one's own is hard, I have tried. Therefore ignorance and prejudice remain, unfortunate as it may be. It is fact and never the twain shall meet.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #31
Bill Danosky

United_States

[quote=John Hunter The chances of breaking into another culture whilst retaining one's own is hard, I have tried. Therefore ignorance and prejudice remain, unfortunate as it may be. It is fact and never the twain shall meet.[/QUOTE]

That's an opinion. I will never believe that hatred is a permanent condition. As Wayne Dyer said, "No one knows enough to be a pessimist!"
Old 02-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #32
Johann Yaeger
New Zealand

Yeah good point Bill, have to concede that one.
I live in New Zealand and although some say we have the best race relations in the world there is still an undercurrent of prejudice and mistrust. Among the indigenous Maori and European. That is not an opinion! It is direct observation. But it is not true for all or even the majority so things are O.K.. We don't have reserves or segregation or the like so we all live together warts and all and we all get on for the most part.
Is this relevant? I hope so. :-]
Old 02-07-2005, 03:54 PM   #33
Bill Danosky

United_States

I live in a very mixed city, ethnically speaking. We have a very mixed group of students at out dojo, too. We all get along very well, so I reckon it must be a matter of circumstance when people don't. I think it's pretty cool living here because when we're hungry we can get any kind of regional food we want.

That's what got me thinking about what all the fighting in the rest of the world is about- For the majority of people in my town, the diversity is an enhancement to our lives. We don't even want everyone to be like us!
Old 05-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #34
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

I did not add to this thread as it was originally being discussed - partly out of not wanting to dilute the brotherhood I felt with my friend, and partly out of cowardice. 10May06 - still a hot topic.

During the coffee with my friend he told me he was particularly impressed with one of our fellow students - a young lady from Japan. He said, 'they are very submissive, and that is good for a wife to be submissive to her husband'. Big gulp of soda for me - wishing it was beer, maybe some whiskey too. Then he asked "David, is your wife submissive." I paused, smiled and replied "Hell no! She's Irish, and a hillbilly to boot. I cook, I help clean, and if I get out of line she tells me off - I'm an arrogant piece of work and this is the only kind of wife I can have if I'm to become a better person."

He laughed derisively. Oh hell no! Things started to get ugly. Then I remembered I wanted to put this nifty message on the aikiweb, and that I really do love my friend. So, I said some diplomatic stuff, agreed to disagree, or that maybe I would catch on to seeing things his way some time in the future. He is a much younger man, so I made allowances. Nobody's perfect.

I'm still glad I posted the message. If I am fortunate enough to meet this man again I will embrace him, and wish to hear everything about his life. He's my friend.

Best I can do on this topic for now.

david
Old 05-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #35
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote:
Jordan should match Israel acre for acre any land they stake off for Palestine. They could use Jerusalem as the dividing point, with the land east of it, (extending an equal distance into Jordan) designated as the new Palestine.
OK, I know that this is an old post, but...

IMO, this is a flawed view, ignoring the events of 1948 and 1965. If the US decided to give back the land that they stole to the Indians: should Venezuala and other S. and C. American countries be required to follow suit?

No, IMO: the lands were stolen, under different circumstances; and that theft continues, today. It's the same, with Palestine, and the Apartheid wall, some of which is built on Palestinian lands.

We now return to your regularly scheduled forum-topic.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #36
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

Quote:
David Knowlton wrote:
Best I can do on this topic for now.

david
Actually, I thought you did pretty well. Kudos.