Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-16-2001, 08:46 PM   #1
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States
Smile Funny Aikido Stories

As if the subject isn't obvious enough I was just wondering if any one out there has any funny aikido stories they would like to share.

Dan Hulley
Old 10-24-2001, 02:08 AM   #2
momentrylapse
Dojo: Lancashire Aikikai
wrong trousers

Our club was doing a demonstration a few years ago. A dan grade was demonstrating koyu throws, his ukes trousers seemed to be showing a little more from under his hakama, each time he whent they seemed to get longer and longer. One final throw , a sacrifice throw, uke flies through the air, trousers remain where they were, uke collects trousers and crawls off the mat.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:08 PM   #3
guest1234
I was working with someone I hadn't met before, but I'd been gone from the dojo for a week long seminar, and we often get drop-ins from other dojos in the area, so I never assume someone is an absolute beginner...

I introduced myself and asked if he did Aikido somewhere else (since ukemi required a roll, it was my subtle way of deciding if I could throw him). "Well, not Aikido..." he answered. Since we often get folks experienced in other 'falling' MA (Judo, Jujitsu, Hapkido, etc) I persisted "OK, but you know how to roll?" as I went slowly through the somewhat complicated technique we'd been shown. "Pretty much" he answered, and just before the throw added "I read about it in a book."

I quickly grabbed him back up and said I'd just do the tech. to the point of throwing, and then he could throw me, and I'd explain a roll in real life vs book to him. He was having trouble with the technique (it turned out this was his first 30 minutes of Aikido) and our 6th dan sensei approached to help. He explained and threw me a few times. Then he turned to the student and offered "Here, feel". I managed to yell "Sensei, he doesn't know how to roll" at the same time Sensei launched him. He tumbled head-rear-side-rear-head-rear etc across the mat, got up, and wobbled back toward us. Sensei kind of peered into his face, looking concerned, and said "tap, tap" demo'ing a tap against his thigh for the new student.

'Kind of like the book?" I asked. "Um, I think I'll just throw you" he answered.
Old 10-24-2001, 09:34 PM   #4
Gene McGloin
Dojo: Bond St. Dojo
Some years ago, there used to be a S&M club in the building next to the Bond St. Dojo in NYC. One night after class, one of the instructors was tossing some zealots around when we heard a light knocking on the door. Someone opened the door and this very skinny guy pokes his head inside and asks "Is this the S&M club?". Without missing a beat, Ken sensei calls off the mat to the guy "No, but c'mon in! We'll give you a drink and beat you up for free!"

Regards,
Gene