Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-25-2007, 12:37 PM   #26
SmilingNage
United_States
Re: Ever Giggled in class?

As well as being known as the Smiling Nage, I ve been told that at times I emit an evil chuckle after a good throw.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:14 AM   #27
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
John Bernhard wrote: View Post
Okey so after reading some of the funny threads on here, I just had to know if any of you have ever started giggling while practicing.
Giggles are for little gurlz.

REAL MEN [TM] snicker or grin but they never giggles. N3V4R!!!!1111 ROAR!

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #28
bleepbeep
Dojo: kyokan dojo bacolod city/dale city aikikai, va
United_States

Once a sensei advised me not to smile or laugh so that I might have more credible aikido. But I have failed to follow his advice, so far. i truly believe aikido should be practiced "in a vibrant and joyful manner." Don't get me wrong about not taking practice seriously, I DO. I practice like there's going to be no tomorrow. Just the gift of practice time/mat time alone is enough to make me smile. What more if I had a really good technique applied to me. Wahah And yes, let off a few giggles every now and then..
Old 01-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #29
JH Ong
Dojo: Yoshinkan Aikido Malaysia (Petaling Jaya)
Malaysia

Hello everyone,

On some days classes in my dojo include both children and adults. The class may not be completely serious at times (that's how this started) but the aikido practice is.

Anyway, one day before the class properly started a bold little kid asked sensei why his nose was so red (I think that was what she asked, I didn't really hear it. And yes, his nose is a little florid). Sensei replied that it was because of his age, and somehow the kids got to guessing how old sensei was. Kid 1 said,"70!" Then kid 2 went "Sensei you're a hundred years old!!" Then another little fellow said, "Two hundred!!!"

Now my sensei is only around 50, 6th dan and a really amiable guy out of class and to each of us personally. By this time the whole dojo could hear the exchange and we were all in fits of giggles. Nice to know that kids have the impression that martial arts masters must be ancient.

Sensei looked like he didn't know whether to laugh or to cry. Then the adults joined in and one of us said, "Wow, sensei you should be flattered! They're saying you can live to such a grand age!" Sensei then said to the little kids, "Well, I may be a hundred but I look only 30 right?"

This is also a stellar case of how little kids overdo flattery.

Kid 2 said, "No sensei you look 21." Kid 1 said, "Sensei, you look 18!!!" Then this other kid takes the cake for saying, "Sensei you look like you were just born!!!!!"

This is the gist of the conversation between the kids and sensei but it was the highlight of the class and all of us were in gales of mirth.

Everything comes back to ... KAMAE!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #30
ElizabethCastor

Dojo: Castle Rock Aikido
United_States

It has occured to me to create a 'notable quotable' (tm) book to help preserve these oh-so-special moments!

Both the ones that offer hilarity and those that leave ya plain ol' puzzled

Some of the quotes I need to include is one from various sensei
"Yonkyo only works if you are smiling"
"How far do you think uke can fly this time?"
"If you spin while you're standing still...."

And from the peanut gallery.... oops I mean students (myself included):
"Ooooh, oooh, OW that really hurt! No, no don't say sorry... do it again!"
"Gosh, I am so STUPID! I guess I ought to do the technique that was demonstrated"
"If I wasn't laughing I'd be crying"

among some other choice comments!

After all the net jargon ROTFLMAO had to have its origin somewhere right!

Old 01-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #31
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States

I giggle every time I visit this web site and read what people post. Some of these are priceless!

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 01-05-2008, 12:59 AM   #32
Josh Reyer

Japan

For you folks who can't maintain your poker face on the mat:

Linky

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 01-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #33
CarrieP

United_States

Quote:
Jim Baker wrote: View Post
It's a common reaction when your center is taken expertly. Your body is surprised by the novelty and your brain laughs while not exactly knowing why. Kind of like a joke your body gets but your mind doesn't.

For me, the giggle is the hallmark of a really good technique.
This is exactly what happened to me last week. Since I'm new to aikido, I'm still working on being a good uke, and to attack with more intention and committment.

I gave a particularly committed attack, and my partner nailed the technique, really used her leverage. It was a perfect storm of really getting the lessons that Sensei was teaching that day. All of a sudden I was on the ground. Was a little worried that I'd pulled some stuff on my left side, but I got nothing more than the usual post-practice soreness.

After I had a chance to flex and realized I was OK, I definitely had the giggles. It was fun. A little scary, but fun.

Last edited by CarrieP : 01-08-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spell check, revised some sentences