Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-13-2001, 12:07 PM   #1
Nathan Richmond
Dojo: Flint Dojo
Hello. I am just beginning my Aikido venture (about 3 weeks) and I was wondering how much is good to be practicing at home?

Is it good to practice something that you aren't really sure you are doing correct yet? I mean is it good to practice something, even if you aren't doing it correctly?

Also, what sort of time periods do you practice at home? What is a reasonable time period? 15-30 minutes every other day?

thanks
nate
Old 03-13-2001, 12:47 PM   #2
Nick
United_States
You could do ibuki no ho if your dojo does that, and perhaps practice some basic ukemi, but as always, be careful. If your dojo does aiki taisos, you could do those too, then go back to the dojo and be told how many mistakes you've made :-).

Nick
Old 03-13-2001, 12:58 PM   #3
Chris P.
Quote:
Nathan Richmond wrote:
Hello. I am just beginning my Aikido venture (about 3 weeks) and I was wondering how much is good to be practicing at home?

Is it good to practice something that you aren't really sure you are doing correct yet? I mean is it good to practice something, even if you aren't doing it correctly?
As long as you have something to work on, practice is valuable. If you don't know what you are doing wrong, it may be too soon for unassisted practice.

Quote:

Also, what sort of time periods do you practice at home? What is a reasonable time period? 15-30 minutes every other day?
I try to practice 40-80 minutes at home, every other day. If I wanted to become great, I would probably practice 2-4 hours every day.
Old 03-13-2001, 02:27 PM   #4
Aikidoka2000
Dojo: SEIDOKAN
On Practice

When I am not in the Dojo,
I practice every moment, from every minute of the day.
Weather I am tying my shoes, or relating to co-workers or family members, or just watching T.v.
I find the principles of Aikido are applicable and alive everywhere.
How cool is that?
Wonderfully and enigmatically cool
-Thomas Dehn

-When two blades cross points,
There's no need to withdraw.
The master swordsman
Is like the lotus blooming in the fire.
Such a person has inside of them
A heaven soaring spirit.
- Tozan Ryokan
4th verse on the 5 ranks
Old 03-14-2001, 08:17 AM   #5
Sam
Dojo: Kyogikan Sheffield
You may want to consider using weapons for individual practise.
I have a bokken at home and I must do about a million men cuts a week.
I find that it is easier to maintain a good upright posture if I am knealt down.
If you haven't seen or practised cutting with a bokken, then ask you instructor/senior grade to show you the correct hand position and movement.
Developing a smooth relaxed and powerful cut will help all of your aikido.
Old 03-14-2001, 08:37 AM   #6
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
24-7 try and walk relaxed, head up not looking at the ground. Try and stay aware, keep your shoulders relaxed. Keep your arms in your centre line as much as possible. Turn your body around corners instead of your feet. Try not to stomp around. If you get to see any masters watch how they walk. Don't concentrate on it or anything, just try and make it your normal walk.

Yer basic tenkan/maware/sugiashi steps are worth practiscing most of all so long as you keep relaxed. Figure out how to do they smoothly, balanced and relaxed (not at all easy) and you'll be happy later on you did.

Maybe.

andrew