Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-30-2004, 10:36 AM   #1
dream

Taking notes

Hi, i'll like to ask how many of us out there take notes after a class?
What is the best method to do this? Other then the technical side of training, what i'll like to note down is the "feeling" of a good movement or a correct technique. Example: how to connect with uke during irimi, how to aline with uke to direct him.
My sensei have gone through it in class with me, and I'm afraid I'll forget.
A little help, yes?

I've been thinking a lot lately.
And i don't recommend it.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:22 PM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Taking notes

I take notes after many classes and most seminars. I think the method varies from person to person, and especially style to style. Yoshinkan tends to be very precise, and have a very specific common language, so its relatively easy. I think your instructor is the best person for advice on this...along with your own intuition.

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 04-30-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
PhiGammaDawg
Dojo: none {yet}
Canada

I think taking notes is a really nice idea since it can trigger certain memories without you trying to fumble. Hmmmmm....it is a NICE Idea

"Saki yakitachi o nukeba, masu masu masurao no kokoro wo togu bekari keri."
--"Before you draw the tempered blade, first temper and purify your own soul."--
Old 04-30-2004, 11:32 PM   #4
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

I keep notes on each throw we do--the name if I can figure it out (a guess if I can't), a description of the movements, and any specific advice I was given or discoveries I made. It's funny to read the early ones when I had very little vocabulary. My first encounter with sankyo says: "Something bad happns to wrist, elbow up high, can't fall until allowed, ow!" Not very helpful in figuring out how to do it.

I started this because I was floundering with vocabulary, and it helped a lot. I can't always describe the finesses, but it's helpful to try; it makes me think back over the material and I remember it better.

I also keep an on-line journal which is more about the experience and less about the technicalities. I think they're both valuable, but the technical one is more immediately useful.

Mary Kaye
Old 05-01-2004, 12:06 AM   #5
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

Interesting never thought about taking notes... suddenly remember undergrad days... eeeek.... I don't do it but it is a great Idea ..... Ehhh I'll stick whatever vids and pics I can get my hands on
Old 05-01-2004, 03:12 PM   #6
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

[ "Something bad happns to wrist, elbow up high, can't fall until allowed, ow!"

Sure sounds like sankyo! Note taking works only if you have the visual/verbal way of learning. I'm more "verbal/kinesthetic"- i actually need to feel the ukemi so i can figure out what is being done to me, then kinda get coached through it the first time or two. Ears to body, rather than eyes to body.

I try to read the technical posts and even the thechniques i am comfortabke with go right over my head if all i have is words...

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 05-02-2004, 12:43 AM   #7
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

Quote:
i actually need to feel the ukemi so i can figure out what is being done to me
I know the feeling I've asked Riggs Sensei to let me "feel" The techinque a few times. A lot of the time he does the techinque on the everyone once to show us. I thinks it's good to get a feel for how the techinque should be done . I do also see a reason for notes also....All though I don't think they'd help me much. I just need endless pratice...
Old 05-02-2004, 08:43 AM   #8
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
I take notes after many classes and most seminars. I think the method varies from person to person, and especially style to style. Yoshinkan tends to be very precise, and have a very specific common language, so its relatively easy. I think your instructor is the best person for advice on this...along with your own intuition.

RT
I pretty much gave up on notes long ago. It was due to Saotome Sensei's teaching style. He'd show one technique and then as he repeated the technique you'd notice that he just did several variations (you wouldn't even pick that up unless you had trained a while). since he didn't tend to give names to any but the most basic techniques he did, I never learned a good method for describing empty hand.

Weapons work on the other hand was different... I developed my own terminology for describing techniques. Not that anyone else could look at my notes and know what I was talking about. Cryptic statements like"spiral a la Tom Read" required a knowledeg of technique from another source to know what I was talking about in this context. But it worked for me over the years.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-03-2004, 12:00 PM   #9
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

The buki waza is where I take the most notes myself. I really stink at them, especially memorizing. Endless repition...and even then...

The notes help me to remember enough to piece the kata back together after not doing it for a while. Writing so that someone else can understand it also seems to aid in understanding the movements myself.

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-03-2004, 03:57 PM   #10
jester

United_States

I like drawing, and lettering, so I make my notebook look kind of like a comic book.
I can practice my hand lettering, and figure drawing, and it's also a sort of meditation. I can focus on it and forget about everything else.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:39 AM   #11
PeaceHeather
Dojo: hopefully Purdue Aikido Club
United_States

Ooh. Nifty idea, Tim.

Heather
Old 05-17-2004, 05:51 PM   #12
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

I take notes during seminars mostly. Occasionally during or after a normal class. Noting the basic movement is all I usually get unless I get the opportunity to experience it from the sensei, then I try to focus what I felt when I was taken through the technique.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 05-17-2004, 06:44 PM   #13
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

I keep an aikido journal in a sketch book I carry around for alot of uses. Some techniques, but also my attitude and feelings too. Its fun to look back on it remember what I was going through once. I'd never remember half this stuff if I didn't write it down. Oh, and ideas for Tanto Beak too.

JEanne
Old 05-18-2004, 05:34 AM   #14
chris wright

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai
Smile Re: Taking notes

Hi, I started aikido about a year ago, and i decided to keep a training diary, after each lesson and course i take a little time to write down my thoughts.
these vary from technical points, to feeling of techniques and hints and comments made by seniors on how to improve my technique.
I found these notes very useful for self study and improvement, i would realy recommend starting one.

Good training Chris