Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-27-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
gamma80
Dojo: Avon Kempo & Aikido Academy
Selfish or Dedicated????

Going in this Monday to have a detached ligament repaired on my hand. Four weeks in a hard cast. My plan is to train as best I can taking care not to affect my healing hand and not to thump anyone with the cast. Obviously I won't be a very good uke and will only be able to train certain techniques. Question is this: Am I being selfish by training in this condition and not offering myself as the best uke I can be? I want desperately not to loose a full month of training and thought that some outside feedback might be helpful.
Chris
Old 02-27-2004, 03:10 PM   #2
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
What does your sensei think?

When my shoulder was dislocated i expected to do nothing but watch in the dojo until it healed but sensei had me doing one handed techniques right away.

Reagrding ukemi, if i could, i would take it as far as i could and then just sit down instead of rolling...

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 02-27-2004, 03:21 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

As someone who has trained with and without injuries, my recommendation is to let the injury heal. The primary reason is: its a martial art (heck, its a place with moving bodies....) therefore accidents happen. No matter how careful you are, you cannot guarantee that the person next to you won't throw his partner into your cast. And frankly the bulk and weight of your cast will be like a weird magnet.

Believe me, four weeks out of a life of training is nothing. Unless you are very much a beginner, you will learn a lot by watching classes during those weeks: consider that your shugyo. and best of luck!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-27-2004, 03:31 PM   #4
Ted Marr
For those of us less linguistically inclined... I know I've seen and heard the word before, but what exactly is shugyo?
Old 02-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #5
aikiSteve
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk
United_States
Shugyo as I understand it means "training that fosters enlightenment".

What has confused me for the last 10 years is, what the hell is enlightenment?

Steve Nelson

Last edited by aikiSteve : 02-27-2004 at 03:38 PM.

Steve Nelson
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 02-28-2004, 12:37 AM   #6
William Westdyke
Dojo: Aikido at the Center
Gotta say it... right or wrong. A student in my dojo who has always been naturally tallented at aikido recently had a motercycle accident which tore up his hand pretty bad. He was in a cast for over a month and, though at first all he did was watch, when he started practacing his use of displacement and positioning was forced to get better. Although I'm no expert, I really believe he improved in the time he was in the cast. I stress that he gave his arm enough time to heal that minor bumps and contact wouldn't harm him. Its just my two cents on the issue.

"You, not anyone else, is 100% responsible for your own happyness and wellbeing." -- David Robertson
Old 03-08-2004, 11:54 AM   #7
Leslie Parks
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo
Chris,

Take a rest, read about aikido, watch class, help clean the dojo (where physically able). HEAL THYSELF.

lpc
Old 03-08-2004, 01:13 PM   #8
cbrf4zr2
I have to agree with Leslie on this. Take the time off, let it heal properly, and watch class. I've been watching class for the past 8 weeks or so due to a groin tear. I don't know how long you've been training, but where I'm at (3.5 years) in my training, I've picked up A LOT watching the classes. I'm seeing a lot of small things by watching them as opposed to doing them. Sort of like getting out of the box for a bit and watching it from a 3rd person viewpoint as opposed to 1st or 2nd person viewpoint. Time off isn't always a bad thing. Of course, I say all this knowing full well that my groin won't be healed completely for the upcoming seminar at our dojo next weekend. So do as I say, not as I do.

...then again, that's just me.