Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-22-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
Guilty Spark

United_States
Tired of this too?

Anyone else tired of hearing about Rihanna getting beat up by Chris Brown then taking him back like the smart cookie she is?
Or elements of the media trying to spin that stupid decision into something positive?
"This is actually a good thing because it shows young girls that bla bla bla" I didnt listen to the end because it was full of shit. Taking someone back that bit your ears and face is bad anyway you look at it.

Second thing is that idiot who had 6 children then decided to pop out 8 more. Yes the octomom. Worst still mr media whore himself Dr Phill.
"Now I'm a just a simple guy frum Texas all ya'all know I'm all about tellin it like it issssss"
Well let me tell it like it is. This selfish woman wanted media attention and coverage and ya'all went and gave it to her. She wanted cold hard cash to give someone the right to be the first to interview her in her stupidity and Dr Phill just couldn't get in there fast enough- then brag over and over about how 'they were on the scene first!'. Way to roll.
Wanna help the kids? Take them away from the mother and don't give her the airtime shes craving for starters.

I don't watch TV. Well I try and avoid it, have been for a couple of years now but it's hard not to pick up stuff in the back round or recognize the same stuff in the media being played over and over.
I'm just floored at the garbage I'm seeing in the news

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: Tired of this too?

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
I don't watch TV.
If that's true, how come all these popular-culture tempests in teapots have you in such a tizzy? I don't watch television either, and I can't say that either one of these burning issues has been getting in my face.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Guilty Spark

United_States

I don't watch TV but other people around me do, it's kinda hard to not pick what's being said.
You also conveniently missed the the next 6 words "Well I try and avoid it".

Old 03-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
lbb
United_States

I didn't miss the next six words; I'm just not sure how it's not possible to avoid it. Maybe that's just your living situation, the TV is blaring constantly and you can't turn it off, change the channel or leave.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Guilty Spark

United_States

Computer is in the living room next to the TV, kinda rude to shut the TV off when your partner is watching it, no?

Old 03-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Joe McParland

Dojo: Sword Mountain Aikido & Zen
United_States

Just a personal experience: I did a year with no news / news commentary / news websites / newspapers / news radio / etc. More recently, we (wife, two kids, and myself) dropped the cable TV altogether back in November. (We'll occasionally pick up a movie or a few episodes of a TV series at the library for entertainment, but nothing beyond that in the TV realm.) The result: Life really is pretty much the same, but with more time for other things. I know fewer things about what's going on somewhere else, and I knew a few more things about what's going on around me and within me. At dinner parties, the topic of my not following the news is as interesting to others as what the news actually was, so there's no real gap there

That said, you don't have to avoid the news (aversion, resulting in going into the other room, for instance) to be unmoved by the news.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain
Unhappy Re: Tired of this too?

Quote:
Joe McParland wrote: View Post
I know fewer things about what's going on somewhere else [...]
Now, this is the part that scares me, living somewhere else and whose life deppends much, much, much, on the most powerful nation in the world and its knowledge about the others somewhere-elses.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
Joe McParland

Dojo: Sword Mountain Aikido & Zen
United_States

Alejandro, rest assured that, in my capacity as King of America, you have my full support.

Now, should I know your situation by monitoring American 24-hour news stations, or perhaps by becoming friends here?

While you consider your answer - and hopefully your assumptions - I will return my attention to my family on this beautiful day.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
Computer is in the living room next to the TV, kinda rude to shut the TV off when your partner is watching it, no?
Right, although one thing I could suggest is noise-canceling headphones. Many people use them in my workplace, which can be quite chaotic with impromptu meetings and conversations shouted over cube walls (almost everybody is in cubes, anywhere from two to four people in a cube). Of course, people also need to be understanding that it's not rudeness if you put on your headphones and bury yourself in the screen -- you're just trying to get work done.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
Guilty Spark

United_States

When I'm sitting on my couch at home playing video games (Say, Dawn of war 2 where humanity proudly takes to the stars and hunts down any race that's different) on my laptop I'll put on my body armor, vest, knife and kevlar helmet just to set the mood.

Wearing noise canceling headphones would just look weird!

Old 03-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
lbb
United_States

Quote:
When I'm sitting on my couch at home playing video games (Say, Dawn of war 2 where humanity proudly takes to the stars and hunts down any race that's different) on my laptop I'll put on my body armor, vest, knife and kevlar helmet just to set the mood.
Um...okay, Grant.

(you're playing a computer game that's probably got lots of sound effects, NOT wearing headphones, while someone's trying to watch a TV that's right next to your computer? Doesn't that cause problems all by itself?)
Old 03-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
Guilty Spark

United_States

Nope.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:25 AM   #13
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain
Red face Re: Tired of this too?

Quote:
Alejandro, rest assured that, in my capacity as King of America, you have my full support.
Many thanks to you, Sire. May God be always by your side and protect you and those around you. Amen.

Quote:
Now, should I know your situation by monitoring American 24-hour news stations, or perhaps by becoming friends here?
While I would certainly preffer first hand information like becoming friends here, I try not to miss the international info from TV news or from the newspapers. If I miss it, no big deal. But I certainly don't make a habit of missing them systematically.

Quote:
While you consider your answer - and hopefully your assumptions - I will return my attention to my family on this beautiful day.
Been there, lived there, worked there. Not assumptions any more. Yes, sure; I certainly did a big assumption on you for which I'm sorry, but just ask any average Joe fellow citizen of your about what's the G8, who's the King of Spain or the President of Italy, why your army don't show up in African massacres, etc.

Nothing personal.Enjoy your day with your family. I'll do the same after my 50 hour work week .
Old 03-23-2009, 04:15 AM   #14
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Now, this is the part that scares me, living somewhere else and whose life deppends much, much, much, on the most powerful nation in the world and its knowledge about the others somewhere-elses.
Scares me too.
Unfortunately the crud spewed by our British telly and newspapers scares me more, dunno about the crud from the murkins.

(Last I heard the kind of Spain was Juan-Carlos ... but that was ages ago. I'll not cheat by searching it. President of Italy ... dunno. President of France sounds Italian though, and his wife is nice!)
Old 03-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #15
gdandscompserv

United_States

Who?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #16
Guilty Spark

United_States

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
why your army don't show up in African massacres, etc.
I'll take a guess

Many many countries and people love to hate the US-until there is a natural disaster and they need help or their borders are threatened.

I remember a few years ago there anti-us protests in south Korea. People wanted them out. That is until North Korea started flexing their military might and intimidating the south, NOW the 'protests' were gatherings by south Korean people to show support and friendship for the us. Gee why the sudden change?

Police are the same way in north America I find. Someone will talk shit about the police until something happens to them then it's all 'where's the police?! help!'

So to answer why doesn't the US show up in Africa and start kicking some ass?
People the world over need to decide if they want the US to act as the world police or not.