Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-21-2003, 01:02 PM   #1
Ledosuki
Cool Beginner To Aikido

WHAT COULD SOMEONE SUGGEST TO A PERSON BEGININNING AIKIDO?IV'E BEEN READING AS MUCH INFORMATION HERE ON THIS SITE AND FROM OTHER SOURCES,BUT WHAT SHOULD ONE BE PREPARING FOR BOTH MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY?ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.THANK YOU.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:42 PM   #2
Carl Simard
Best will be to go to a dojo, go on the mat, and try for some classes. At some point, it don't really matter how much you read, you have to go and try it for yourself...
Old 07-21-2003, 03:49 PM   #3
SeiserL

United_States
Relax, breath, and enjoy yourself. You cannot prepare yourself for the journey. Just go train.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-22-2003, 05:03 PM   #4
Dave Miller

Dojo: UCO Budo Society
And please turn off the CAPSLOCK. On the 'net, CAPSLOCK is the same as SHOUTING and is quite annoying.

DAVE

If you're working too hard, you're doing it wrong.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:46 AM   #5
Chris Raeger
Dojo: Shinryukan Canterbury
The hardest part in training you will ever face is walking through the front door to train for the first time. The preparation required to succeed from that point is inherent in the training and instruction given in the club. Just open yourself up for serious fun - that is - be serious enough to learn properly what you are being taught and have fun, enjoy the experience of learning.

Aikido is great and so are the people you will meet. Give it a go and do not give up if at times it seems you are not succeeding as fast or as well as you imagine you would be. Hope this is a help.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:44 AM   #6
Arieru

Dojo: The Center City Dojo
have patience with yourself. this is alot harder to do than it sounds.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:38 PM   #7
TheFallGuy
Dojo: Jyushinkan - Logan, Utah
Quote:
have patience with yourself. this is alot harder to do than it sounds.
Actually, it's easier than you think. You just have to convince yourself that it is, and that's the hard part.

Preparing:

Mentally: Relaxation, Awareness, Calmness, Being Centered, Having Fun, Patience.

Physically: Stretches, General Body Conditioning....

Can't think anymore......

I came
I caused
I seized
----Chaos
Old 08-27-2003, 06:29 PM   #8
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Frank Olson (TheFallGuy) wrote:
Actually, it's easier than you think. You just have to convince yourself that it is, and that's the hard part.
Exactly:

Now the relevant question is how do you convince a student that they know more than they think they do.

I've got one in particular that seems to wallow in her incompetence. She wants to improve and wont believe me that she is. If I can get her past that she will get better much much faster.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 08-27-2003, 10:03 PM   #9
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Mr. Rehse

Video comparison? Pointing out how much less-sore she should be/is then from her earlier ukemi?

That is a big indicator to most of us newbies.......

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 08-28-2003, 08:14 AM   #10
justinm
United Kingdom
Two other thoughts:

1. I find people get a real shock when they see new beginners arrive - they realise how much they have actually learnt since starting (only really works with people that still consider themselves to be a complete beginner even if they aren't)

2. Push them to their physical limit though repetition or randori and often they will suprise themselves. Usually works when my teacher does it to me!

Justin McCarthy
Old 08-28-2003, 01:05 PM   #11
TheFallGuy
Dojo: Jyushinkan - Logan, Utah
Quote:
Now the relevant question is how do you convince a student that they know more than they think they do.
Peter,

Sometimes throwing a person harder than they are used to will make them wake up and realize "hey I can do this." I did this to a couple of my friends at the dojo. They were used to taking the nice slow approach and then squat down and roll over -- play dead. So what I did was to add a little more energy into the system and get the bigger flying breakfalls that they saw but never experienced. After landing it (not perfectly but well enough to bolster their confidence) they turned and said "Wow!!!" And they moved up a little in their own minds.

Also, focus on the positive things. If she's wallowing in the mistakes, don't bring them up. Apparently, she sees them all too clearly. Say things like. "That throw was great because you used your hips right." Or "That fall was great because you slapped out at a 45 degree angle and had your foot extended." (Pattern "Blank was done well because Blank.") Also, notice when she improves on something, and let her know.

Great thoughts Justin!

I came
I caused
I seized
----Chaos
Old 08-28-2003, 04:59 PM   #12
shihonage
United_States
Re: Beginner To Aikido

Quote:
Domingo Castro (Ledosuki) wrote:
WHAT COULD SOMEONE SUGGEST TO A PERSON BEGININNING AIKIDO?IV'E BEEN READING AS MUCH INFORMATION HERE ON THIS SITE AND FROM OTHER SOURCES,BUT WHAT SHOULD ONE BE PREPARING FOR BOTH MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY?ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.THANK YOU.
Read the extremely helpful FAQ:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...&threadid=3126