Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-25-2003, 10:05 AM   #1
Igor Labus
Rookie

I am very new in aikido,and I know it takes a lot of time but I want to know when can I expect some results?
Old 02-25-2003, 10:25 AM   #2
Dirty Dogi
I am new to Aikido as well. I thought It was going to be an uphill struggle the entire time, but after a few days I was catching on quickly and I fit right in. Im not sure exactly what you mean by "results" though.

If you mean picking up on techniques then it usually takes a few days to understand what is going on. Your mind knows whats supposed to happen but your feet and arms fail to follow orders.

My first couple of days I was lost. I think my sensei could see the glaze over my eyes because he would look at me alot when he was explaining techniques. I usually come home and practice the techniques with my imaginary uke I just act out the technique almost like a dance until it feels right and my body moves correctly without having to look down at my feet.

The biggest problem I have thus far is with Ukemi. " falling, and rolling" I was getting sick when I would do the rolls, so I have started doing rolls outside each day. It has really helped beat the dizziness and sickness out of me, but my form.. well thats a diffrent story. I still need work.

If your interested you can check out my Aikido journal. I write a bit in it each day after class so I can see my progress and newcomers like me won't feel like they are the only ones who struggle. here is the link: http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/journal.php?

Hope this helped

Check out my personal Aikido Journal.
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/journal.php?
Old 02-25-2003, 10:27 AM   #3
Michael Owen
Dojo: Richmond Aikido Kai
I am new at aikido myself, but if I may share a bit of zen wisdom...

A young boy traveled across Japan to the school of a famous martial artist. When he arrived at the dojo he was given an audience by the Sifu.

"What do you wish from me?" the master asked.

"I wish to be your student and become the finest martial artist in the land," the boy replied. "How long must I study?"

"Ten years at least," the master answered. "Ten years is a long time," said the boy. What if I studied twice as hard as all your other students?"

"Twenty years," replied the master." "Twenty years! What if I practice day and night will all my effort?"

"Thirty years," was the master's reply. "How is it each time I say I will take work harder, you tell me that it will take longer?" the boy asked.

"The answered is clear. When one eye is fixed upon your destination, there is only one eye left with which to find the Way.

Just practice aikido for the love of it.

The results will come in their time

Michael Owen

"All I'm sayin' man is that you've got to respect the chickens." -B. Hopkins
Old 02-25-2003, 10:27 AM   #4
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
I know it takes a lot of time
Um, after a lot of time

Really it'll depend on too many variables to say. Not to mention that you could get into LONG discussions here as to what constitutes "results". Do you want to be martially effective? Do you want to be a calmer person? Do you want better fitness? Do you want to be less clumsy? Blah, blah, blah, etc. etc.

My advice (which ain't worth much) is to just go to class and do what the teacher is showing to the best of your ability at that time. If you are having a rough and tumble class then come out physically exhausetd. If the teacher wants to sit and talk aikido history/philosophy that night then come out mentally exhausted. But whatever you are doing in class DO it with everything that you are and don't worry about the end results...they'll happen on their own.

Keep training,

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-25-2003, 03:23 PM   #5
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Re: Rookie

Quote:
Igor Labus wrote:
I am very new in aikido,and I know it takes a lot of time but I want to know when can I expect some results?
Somewhere between very soon and many, many years from now, depending on what you mean by "results".

Sean

x
Old 02-25-2003, 03:34 PM   #6
Andy
Quote:
Michael Owen wrote:
A young boy traveled across Japan to the school of a famous martial artist. When he arrived at the dojo he was given an audience by the Sifu.
Why was there a sifu at a Japanese dojo?

Any how: It's about the journey. Not the destination.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:49 PM   #7
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Quote:
Andy Russo (Andy) wrote:
Why was there a sifu at a Japanese dojo?
Probably because all the japanese were getting so utterly and completely bored by all this stupid western people coming over just to have some nice moralistic story to take home that they decided that they would not do it any more. They just hired some underpaid chinese from the takeaway restaurant and had him say these things all the time. This way the combined 3 positive things:[list=1]
[*]The western people left and were happy
[*]The chinese guy had a decend job
[*]They were not bothered by all the people anymore so they could devote there time to training.
[/list=1]

Of course this could also just be my imagination, but then again, you never know, do you??

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 02-25-2003, 05:30 PM   #8
mj
I assumed he was visiting.

Old 02-25-2003, 09:46 PM   #9
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States
I'd say pretty quickly. I know I felt completely different the day after my first lesson.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:29 AM   #10
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
I've been studying Aikido since Christmas & here are some "results":

I can now tell nikkyo from kotegaeshi.

A dislocated shoulder.

The attendant, newly- aquired fear of falling.

the sense of accomplishment at being able to complete a technique properly (specially with that shoulder)

and the courage to start rolling again...

Finding a sense of complete safety within the dojo-perhaps that should be "emotional/spiritual safety"....the permission to be exactly who i am.

Frustration with my sensei for making it "too easy"- grsnted he is twice my size but a little resistance would be helpful.

and probably most importantly, the reason i'm in Aikido- I seem to be able to now be able to get through some situations which, even six weeks ago, could easily turned into nasty arguments with a smile and a thank you, and that is the most valuable result of all.

Maybe not spectcular or dramatic but results, and good ones, all the same.

keep it on the mat

Q
Old 02-26-2003, 08:19 PM   #11
cindy perkins
Dojo: AikiDog Dojo
Smile Newbie too

Yes. I have been studying once a week for almost a year. (Once a week is just not enough!) I often feel I have seen no results at all! But sometimes I "get" it. I move a certain way and it's effortless, and bigger stronger uke goes right over. I may not be able to do it twice, but it's more than I could do before.

It is best for me when I am just there in the moment of learning and trying and moving, not comparing to before, or to other students. When I am just there, I am really experiencing what is happening now. That feels best of all.