Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #26
gdandscompserv

United_States
Re: Has something changed in Aikido? (Lack of Weapons Training)

Some would argue that what has changed in aikido is the internal skillz. That's the stuff I want. If I must learn weapons to learn IS then I will, but I hear they can be learned without.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #27
observer
United_States

Quote:
Dan Rubin wrote: View Post
You might be interested in reading "A Revisionist View of Aikido History," by Stanley Pranin, at http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=24.
Someone replied to one of my posts stating that I am "so wrong" that he doesn't even know how to begin to respond. I think the same thing about what Stanley Pranin wrote. Nevertheless, I'll explain why.

The position of O-Sensei on Aikido weapons training is based off of the interviews that the author himself carried out with different people. Hence his conclusion is false. The idea of Aikido came at a time when Morihei Ueshiba was already an experienced Martial Art instructor, as well as an expert in the art of the sword. It's easy to see how his art refers to the sword, simply by looking closer at the techniques he selected. These are the up-down techniques, which illustrates the sword's cutting (shomen). That's all. Thus the distortion of the 8th dan shihan's words, under the pretext of the incorrectness of English language, is inexcusable. Aikido is the next step in the Martial Art, as the killing does not need a sword, it can be effectively done with bare hands.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:21 AM   #28
sorokod
United Kingdom

Quote:
Maciej Jesmanowicz wrote: View Post
These are the up-down techniques, which illustrates the sword's cutting (shomen). That's all.
It is a bit like saying that playing the violin is about moving hands and fingers. Not completely incorrect, but completely missing the point.

Also shomen does not mean "sword's cutting".

Old 10-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #29
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
Some would argue that what has changed in aikido is the internal skillz. That's the stuff I want. If I must learn weapons to learn IS then I will, but I hear they can be learned without.
you can't learn internal skillz without a nunchuck. so try that and don't forget to setup a video camera to capture your practice and post it.

personally, i don't think O Sensei had any significant IT, since nobody had seen or read that he used a nunchuck. I, on the other hand, whichever the other hand, followed the footstep of Bruce Leeroy, have mastered the internal skillz.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #30
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Maciej Jesmanowicz wrote: View Post
Someone replied to one of my posts stating that I am "so wrong" that he doesn't even know how to begin to respond. I think the same thing about what Stanley Pranin wrote.
And yet, you do respond.

Quote:
The position of O-Sensei on Aikido weapons training is based off of the interviews that the author himself carried out with different people. Hence his conclusion is false.
(1) I don't understand your logic. How do those interviews lead to false conclusions?
(2) What do you base your opinion off of? (I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would like to know.)

Quote:
Thus the distortion of the 8th dan shihan's words, under the pretext of the incorrectness of English language, is inexcusable.
In what way was the shihan's words distorted?

Quote:
Aikido is the next step in the Martial Art, as the killing does not need a sword, it can be effectively done with bare hands.
Are you saying that earlier martial arts did not include techniques to kill with bare hands?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #31
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

It's pretty simple to me and to those whose Aikido Practice focuses on "weapons" skills...

Such things as timing.. Irimi... Maai...Atemi...are vastly different and with all due respect are much better with a core based Weapons Practice...

Also folks tend to be more mindful and focus better with a Bokken. Jo, or Katana in their hands and it makes the transition to empty handed techniques more transparent when you see their weapons equivalent....Bad Habits tend to be minimized too. Learning "how not to get cut or whacked" makes "how not to get hit" allot easier most of the time.

I am no Koryu Expert (far from it) but I would think this may be at the root of most Budo Practices?

Just my experience anyway.

William Hazen
Old 10-14-2009, 01:47 AM   #32
Kabura
Dojo: Okinawa Aikikai
Japan

Quote:
Dan Rubin wrote: View Post
You might be interested in reading "A Revisionist View of Aikido History," by Stanley Pranin, at http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=24. He expresses the same concerns that you do.
Thank you for the great link.