Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-16-2002, 03:33 AM   #1
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Talking Gokyo or Rokyo?

Can anybody describe to me the differences between the two, we were doing them last night but for the life of me i cant remember which is which

is gokyo the one where you bring their arm to your chest and use your elbow to pivot or is it where your almost doing an Ikkyo but not because theres more of a twist and a flick instead of a push?

i cant remember lol

Had fun doing them tho
pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 08-16-2002, 04:31 AM   #2
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Gokyo is very simular to Ikkyo, different grip on the hand. Sort of ikkyo variant for knife attacks.

Rokkyo is, I believe, what we call Hijikimeosae where I train. It hurts a lot (or can do).

anyhow...

andrew
Old 08-16-2002, 05:48 AM   #3
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Gokyo is like ikkyo or nikkyo with a change in the grip (uke has a tanto) and the take away is on the mat with ukes hand moved close up to the shoulder and a slight press down on the elbow to release (very painful and can break if done hard). Rokkyo is against the elbow, straight down. Uke ends up moving to the back of nage slightly. Wish I could draw a picture of it to explain it better, but the best image I can think of is that rokkyo works against a straight elbow with uke ending up face down onto the mat with hips up (or at least the way I end up-which isn't necessarily right).
Old 08-16-2002, 06:06 AM   #4
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Talking

Fantastic!

Dont worry you both cleared that up good and proper

Gokyo is the twisty ikkyo type one and the Rokyo is the pull arm to chest and cause imence amounts of pain!!!

for the gokyo i always imagine sweeping the floor with my Uke hehe really hurts when you do that tho,

now i've gotta see how many ways i can apply my 6 techniques Ai hanmi, Gaku hanmi, roto dori, not to mention obviously knife attacks

aikido just gets better and better.

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 08-16-2002, 09:12 AM   #5
akiy

To add a bit to what others have written above, gokyo is otherwise known as "ude nobashi" or "arm stretch" and ikkyo is also known as "ude osae" or "arm pin." Rokyo is known as "ude hishigi" (basically, "arm breaking"), hijishime ("elbow squeeze"), and wakigatame ("cementing against the side").

I hear that rokkyo is the only technique commonly done in aikido that goes "against" the joint (ie trying to bend a joint in the opposite direction that it was meant to bend).

In my experience, just like the rest of aikido, trusting that causing pain will make a technique effective is unreliable. Rather than pressing down on the elbow, I try to break uke's balance through the "straight arm."

Just my thoughts...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-17-2002, 10:10 AM   #6
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Jun, what about the kokyunage whereby you are held ai hanmi, and then you irimi tenkan to his holding hand side and use your free hand to extend up and outwards to throw.

usually balance breaking is enough to throw someone forwards especially if you get the momentum right, but some people enjoy lifting your elbows up before throwing you. Acts in a very similar way to Rokyo me thinks.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:45 AM   #7
akiy

Hi Ahmad,

The throw you're describing seems to me like "hiji nage" or "tenbin nage." I guess you're right in saying that this technique could go "against the joint" as well as rokyo. Of course, the technique should work (as should rokyo) without the main point being the strain on the joint -- I've found hiji nage works a lot better when thought of in terms of breaking uke's balance...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-19-2002, 01:38 AM   #8
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Thanks! One more name to impress the kids with...

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.