Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-31-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States
New Dojo

Hello! I am going to a new university in Azusa, Ca, fairly close to LA, come fall. I was hoping someone could either point me at a Daito Ryu school, or maybe an Aikido school where I would/might be able to practice my techniques. Unfortunately I will have to drastically cut training at my current dojo due to a 4 hour drive both ways and gas prices. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks alot!

Dustin
Old 05-31-2005, 10:15 PM   #2
DustinAcuff
United_States
Re: New Dojo

Before someone tells me to use the Dojo Search function, I already did. There are no Daito Ryu dojo's registered in California. Mine is pretty small and if I were not around the right kind of people I would never have found it. It is not even in the phone book. I'm hoping that someone knows where one is.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:47 PM   #3
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Well it's not Daito ryu, but there is a really nice Aikido school in Clairmont (maybe 30 minuts from you?) Run by the Aikidotoday people.

-Chris Hein
Old 06-01-2005, 12:52 AM   #4
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

There is a guy who just transfered to your school and is starting a Daito Ryu/Aikido club. He has classes on campus. His name is Dustin Acuff.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 06-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #5
DustinAcuff
United_States

Ted, you are right, that may be an option. I've already concidered that possiblilty and am seeing what can be done about it at the moment. But as someone with less than 1 year in the art I still need someone who is more experienced that I am to help me learn. Even with a club (which I expect would be very small if it even got off the ground), that still does not solve my instruction problem. Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited by DustinAcuff : 06-01-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:52 PM   #6
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Talk to the people in your dojo. They might know of someone or place near your school location, who can train you or has classes. Talk to your instructor and see about the viability of creating a university club.

There may be a club on campus that already existing that meets your training requirements. Contact the school and see what groups are available. The last thing you want to do is waste your energies on creating something that is already in place.

If you feel you need to create a club, contact the school and see what the requirements for a student group are. Usually there needs to be a faculty adviser/sponsor. Your best bet is to use someone who you are in close contact with, like a member of your department. The next best sponsor might be someone who in part of the physical ed. department with similar background, like a wrestling coach.

You need to see from the school what facilities will meet your training requirements and what times they are available. If you need mats, gymnastic or wrestling mats might be available. Heavy bags and other striking equipment might be located in the weight room. You need to familiarize yourself with the facilities and equipment.

Talk up this club with people you know/meet. Usually schools have a club day where various clubs have tables to introduce themselves to the student body. In many colleges, the school newspaper and/or radio station provides free advertising for student groups.

Even if you don't have any one more experienced to teach, you can still go over the things you've already done. Individual exercises, ukemi and partner training are things you've already done. If you plan to still visit your dojo, then take notes so you don't have to rely on a faulty memory to go practice your training on your own. Collect those xeroxed copies and other informal information that have been handed out to you. Refer to them and if you have any questions, be sure to ask your teachers when you're in class.

Koichi Tohei used to say that if you learn something today, you can teach it to someone tomorrow. There are dojos that exist today because someone wanted to continue to train. Good Luck!

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 06-02-2005, 08:37 PM   #7
DustinAcuff
United_States

Thanks for the great advice. I'll check into it.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:13 PM   #8
DustinAcuff
United_States

Sorry to revive this but.....

I've been asking around my dojo and looking around online and have found a school. People from my dojo who went to the Aiki Expo in LA all recall a DR guy in Pasadena. Working off of this I have found that in most of the Pasadena city events containing MA segments the DR people pop up. The reason I am reviving this thread is that I have been unable to find any mention of the name of the shihan, phone number, e-mail, or contact information of any kind. I am hoping that someone out there happens to be able to supply more information than I have.

Please let me know if you have any type of information.

Thanks alot,

Dustin
Old 08-08-2005, 10:05 AM   #9
Dominic Toupin
Canada

Patrick Augé Shihan runs a Dojo in Torrance. It's a Yoseikan Aikido Dojo. Check www.yoseikanbudo.com

Hope that can help...

Dominic
Old 08-23-2005, 03:16 PM   #10
James Clum
United_States

I don't know of any Daito Ryu Dojo but I do have experience with some of the Aikdo Dojos nearby as I have been a student at three of them. I also live in Azusa so having a friend with similar interests may be of help to you if you are new in the area. Please email me at jamesnmichelle8@netzero.com and we can discuss dojos around the area.
James Clum